Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

PHP to JPY in Nagoya airport 2014/7/3 23:12
Do foreign exchange in Nagoya airport accept Philippine peso or do I have to buy JPY here in the Philippines instead? My trip in Japan is within two weeks. Thank you for your answers.
by niel (guest)  

Re: PHP to JPY in Nagoya airport 2014/7/4 11:36
http://www.narita-airport.or.jp/exchange_e/index.html

That site doesn't show it. You may have to buy Yen in the Philippines.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: PHP to JPY in Nagoya airport 2014/7/4 17:42
Exchange your PHP for US dollars (or Euros) before you leave. You'll get a better exchange rate from small outside money changers, as opposed to banks, or at the cashier counters at SM. With dollars you won't have any problems changing to yen in Japan. Get dollars on the way out of Japan, too.

If you have a dollar bank account, then you are in great shape, and can just withdraw your US currency for later use in Japan.

While you can get cash from some ATMs in Japan (especially those in Japanese Post Offices), you must have a Visa or Mastercard bank card. Your BancNet card won't work in Japan, or anywhere else outside of the Philippines.

Yes, you might lose some small amount making two currency exchanges instead of one (assuming you can find somewhere in Japan that exchanges Philippines Pisos, and even then at a potentially unfavorable rate), but that's just part of the cost of a vacation or business trip.
by Susan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: PHP to JPY in Nagoya airport 2014/7/5 02:11
Here "Nagoya airport" refers to Central Japan International Airport [Centrair, NGO], right?
According to www.centrair.jp, Travelex is handling 32 types of currency in its booth located in the Access Plaza, which is open from 6:30 - 22:30.
http://www.centrair.jp/en/services/exchange/

Note
: "Nagoya airport" may refer to Nagoya Airfield (NKM, former NGO).
: Centrair [NGO] / Nagoya Airfield [NKM] is sometimes receded as an airport in Nagoya even though it is actually located outside City of Nagoya.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Correction: typo 2014/7/5 02:18
Oops! I wonder how I could make such a typo....
NOT: receded
BUT: regarded
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: PHP to JPY in Nagoya airport 2014/7/5 03:01
The Philippine Peso is not a very attractive currency in Japan, so you might get a terrible exchange rate.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: PHP to JPY in Nagoya airport 2014/7/5 03:07
I agree with Susan, better to buy USD in the Philippines and bring back to the Philippines any USD you don't spend in Japan. In addition to the reasons given previously, there is also customs restrictions on taking pesos (PHP) out of and into the Philippines. You will have to declare more than 10,000 pesos (-230 USD) taking out and need authorisation to bring more 10,000 peso into the Philippines. But you're allowed to take or bring upto 10,000 USD without hassle.
Also, USD is much easier to carry physically.
The other alternatives are buy travellers cheques from a bank and / or use a credit/debit card... Like the Union Bank debit card, which is a Visa debit.
by colsie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread