Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do Tokyo nightclubs use ID scanners? 2014/7/8 03:40
My friends and I are thinking of going clubbing in Shibuya (potentially at Womb or Sound Museum Vision)during our visit to Tokyo this week.

We were wondering whether these clubs specifically (and clubs in Tokyo in general e.g. in Roppongi, Shinjuku etc.) use ID scanners when admitting people into their clubs?

Thank you in advance.
by Admich  

Re: Do Tokyo nightclubs use ID scanners? 2014/7/8 08:20
Not that I've seen. Most don't even check ID's before entering.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do Tokyo nightclubs use ID scanners? 2014/7/8 18:03
I see.

Do you know whether they use them at the high-end nightclubs like Womb or Sound Museum Vision in Shibuya?
by Admich rate this post as useful

Re: Do Tokyo nightclubs use ID scanners? 2014/7/8 18:43
Are you asking because you are worried about entry due to being below the drinking age in Japan?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Do Tokyo nightclubs use ID scanners? 2014/7/8 18:54
No. A few of us are not keen on taking our passport or driver's license out into a nightclub in case it gets lost. We would much rather take less valuable identification, but the ID we have does not have a chip, and therefore does not scan through on ID machines.
by Admich rate this post as useful

Re: Do Tokyo nightclubs use ID scanners? 2014/7/8 19:11
I see, that makes it an easier answer then. Technically you are required by law to carry your passport on you, but many people choose to take a photocopy instead while leaving the original in their hotel room. That's fine for everyday, but may not work at the clubs. I don't know about Womb or Sound Museum Vision but the clubs I've been to would only accept original passports as a form of ID, although other posters have had different experiences.

That said, the clubs are unlikely to have the equipment necessary to scan an IC passport, but may still want to see an original passport regardless.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Do Tokyo nightclubs use ID scanners? 2014/7/11 21:56
They wanted to see my passport (which I had brought).

I hope that helps.
by hitori rate this post as useful

Re: Do Tokyo nightclubs use ID scanners? 2014/8/4 19:34
When I went to WOMB in late June they wanted to see an ID, i.e. my passport
by Sammy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Do Tokyo nightclubs use ID scanners? 2014/8/5 01:36
Please note that your driver's licence you brought from your country is INVALID in Japan.
Your only official ID is your original passport.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread