Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

JR Kanto Area Pass and Kawaji-Yumoto Onsen 2014/7/13 03:23
Hi, I have some questions about the JR Kanto Area Pass and Kawaji-Yumoto Onsen, hope someone could help.
1) JR Kanto Area Pass
- Can confirm that this pass can cover Narita Express Train, JR Yamanote Line and JR Spacia Kinugawa (from Shinjuku to Kinugawa Onsen Station)?

2) Kawaji-Yumoto Onsen Station
I'm thinking of staying at Kawaji-Yumoto Onsen, after alighting at Kinugawa-Onsen Station, how do I get to Kawaji-Yumoto Onsen Station? Is there a time-table that I can check?

Thank you.
by Meg (guest)  

Re: JR Kanto Area Pass and Kawaji-Yumoto Onsen 2014/7/13 16:50
1) JR Kanto Area Pass
- Can confirm that this pass can cover Narita Express Train, JR Yamanote Line and JR Spacia Kinugawa (from Shinjuku to Kinugawa Onsen Station)?

Yes!

2) Kawaji-Yumoto Onsen Station
I'm thinking of staying at Kawaji-Yumoto Onsen, after alighting at Kinugawa-Onsen Station, how do I get to Kawaji-Yumoto Onsen Station? Is there a time-table that I can check?

It is another 15-20 minute train ride north of Kinugawa Onsen. Not covered by the Kanto Area Pass. Timetables can be looked up here:
http://www.hyperdia.com/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: JR Kanto Area Pass and Kawaji Onsen 2014/7/14 09:31
[Re: Question #1]

I recommend checking also a few other options, because only a small number of trains which can be taken with a JR Kanto Area Pass are available directly from JR Shinjuku Station to a Tobu station in Nikko City such as Kinugawa-onsen Station.

When in a year would you travel?
Do you plan to travel directly from Narita International Airport [NRT] to Kinugawa area in Nikko City?
(If so, when in a day and at which terminal is your international flight scheduled?)

If you visit also
central Nikko area (around Tobu-nikko station; Toshogu Shrine, Rinnoji Temple, etc.)
and/or Chuzenji area (around Lake Chuzenji; Kegon Fall, Chuzenji Temple, etc.),
a Tobu Nikko pass is worth considering, and it sounds better to start from Tokyo on a later day than traveling directly from NRT on the day of your arrival flight.
A JR Kanto Area Pass is not valid on Tobu Bus lines, while bus accesses for these two areas are offered by Tobu Bus Nikko.

JR Spacia Kinugawa (from Shinjuku to Kinugawa Onsen Station)?

Precisely, a JR Kanto Area Pass can be valid for JR-Tobu through Ltd. Express trains running as Nikko, Spacia Nikko, Kinugawa or Spacia Kinugawa.
Only five or less such trains are now available per way, including ones which do not run to or from Kinugawa-onsen Station of Tobu.
The JR terminal for these JR-Tobu through trains is Shinjuku Station, and they make a stop at Ikebukuro Station of JR.
(HyperDia is showing these JR-Tobu through trains as JR trains.)

Please note that you cannot take Tobu-only Ltd. Express trains with a JR Kanto Area Pass.
On the other hand, you can take non-express Tobu trains with this pass between Shimo-imaichi and Kinugawa-onsen and also between Shimo-imaichi and Tobu-nikko.

Narita Express Train, JR Yamanote Line

Usually when you take a "Narita Express" train from the JR station in your NRT terminal in heading to Shinjuku Station, you do not have to switch to Yamanote Line.
Alternatively you can either take a "Narita Express" train which directly runs to Shinjuku Station or, use Chuo Line from Tokyo Station to Shinjuku Station, which is usually faster than Yamanote Line to connect the two stations.

[Re: Question #2]

There are at least two stations for Kawaji Onsen area: Kawaji-onsen Station and Kawaji-yumoto Station; the both are stations of Yagan Tetsudo.
The leg Kinugawa-onsen --[Tobu]-- Shin-fujiwara --[Yagan]-- Kawaji-onsen / Kawaji-yumoto is outside the validity of a JR Kanto Area Pass; the one-way fares in total are 300 yen per adult.

Is there a time-table that I can check?

Here I list below departure and arrival times of some trains in the evening based on current timetables. These trains seem to be available every day. None of these trains is a Ltd. Express train.
The latter half from Kinugawa-onsen Station is for your current itinerary.
The upper half is for a case in which you visit first central Nikko area and/or Chuzenji area before staying overnight then Kinugawa Onsen area on the following day.

Tobu-nikko (dep.)
: 15:36 / 16:31 / 17:25 / 18:28.
Shimo-imaichi (arr.)
: 15:44 / 16:41 / 17:33 / 18:37.
--transfer--
Shimo-imaichi (dep.)
: 15:50 / 16:51 / 17:50 / 18:52.
Kinugawa-onsen (dep.)
: 16:10 / 17:13 / 18:11 / 19:16.
Kawaji-onsen (arr.)
: 16:28 / 17:31 / 18:34 / 19:34.
Kawaji-yumoto (arr.)
: 16:30 / 17:33 / 18:37 / 19:37.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: JR Kanto Area Pass and Kawaji-Yumoto Onsen 2014/7/15 14:38
Thank you so much for the replies.
I'll be going early Dec this year, only to Tokyo and trip to onsen is a highlight. Most likely will get the JR Kanto Area Pass.
Day 1 - upon reaching Narita Airport, get the pass and then take Narita Express to Shibuya or Shinjuku and stay a night.
Day 2 - take the 10.31am JR Ltd. Exp Spacia Kinugawa 3 from Shinjuku to Kinugawa Onsen. Reach at 12.38pm, take lunch and walk around. At 2.14pm, take Tobu Kinugawa Line to Shin-Fujiwara, then transfer to Yagan Tetsudo Railway to Kawaji-Yumoto station.
Day 3 - Return via same method.
by Meg (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread