Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/14 18:24
Hi everyone,

I have a brief query on acquiring Landing Permission - Temporary Visitor Status which will allow me to enter Japan for a 3rd time. Here's a breakdown of the situation:

I'm a British Citizen, so I believe this makes me exempt from acquiring a Visa prior to arrival in Japan - instead, I am provided with a 'Landing Permission - Temporary Visitor' stamp in my Passport upon arrival at a Japanese airport, which allows me to stay in Japan for 90 days (for the purpose of tourism, visiting friends, cultural activities etc).

Now, I've been to Japan twice in the past - once in May 2013 (when I stayed for 7 days - I have the departure stamp in my Passport), and once in November 2013 (I stayed for 7 days again - and I have the departure stamp in my passport). Both times were for the purpose of tourism and visiting friends. So during 2013, I stayed in Japan for 14 days, on 2 Temporary Visitor stamps.

I'm going to be visiting Japan again in August 2014, again for the purpose of tourism and visiting friends. I'm going to be in Japan for 11 days in total. My question is, given that I have visited Japan twice in the last 18 months, will this prove problematic in acquiring a 3rd 'Landing Permission - Temporary Visitor' stamp in my Passport, when I arrive in Japan again? I don't really want to travel all the way to Japan from the UK and be denied entry!

If anyone can provide me with an answer to this, I'd be really grateful.

Many thanks!

Y
by Y (guest)  

Re: Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/14 18:53
My question is, given that I have visited Japan twice in the last 18 months, will this prove problematic in acquiring a 3rd 'Landing Permission - Temporary Visitor' stamp in my Passport, when I arrive in Japan again?

No that shouldn't pose a problem at all. Enjoy your trip!
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/14 19:54
Thanks yllwsmrf, I just needed some clarification on this matter :)

How does the system work then? Would I be correct in assuming that you can enter and leave Japan as many times as you wish within any given year, provided that you didn't exceed the 90 (or 180) day limit imposed by the 'Landing Permission - Temporary Visitor' status that you are given when you arrive?

Thanks,

Y
by Y (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/14 21:53
Hi
You wouldnt have any entry problems into japan because as you know you u.k citizens can enter japan as temporary visotors with 90 days landing permission and can extend it for another 90 days total up to 180 days.
In your case japanese immigration would not question you for your previous entries

1.it was all last year and in different months and all for sightseeing purposes.
( they know it all and record it)

2 .you went back to u.k

They would only do question that :

if you travel in and out to japan travelling to near by countries such as korea, taiwan, hongkong , thailand and so on.that makes em think that you are tryin to gain visa just by doing that.

So you are safe and have a nice trip
Please...

by smaster rate this post as useful

Re: Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/14 22:25
Btw, tourist can not travel in and out japan as many times as they wish to in any year and time.
Only foreigners with work visas , residency,permanent residents can do that with their own limited re entry rules and restrictions..

Re: Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/14 22:37
Thanks smaster :)

Excellent, thank you for your reassurance.

I have visited Korea, but that was back in April 2014, and I flew to and from Korea directly from the UK, and stayed there for 7 days... so the only country I have ever flown from to visit Japan is the UK, so I guess I'll be fine.

My only concern was the number of 'Landing Permission - Temporary Visitor' stamps that Japanese Immigration can issue you with in a certain period - I don't want to arrive in Japan to be told that I have entered the country too often in recent months and years and be denied entry, so that's why I'm asking all of these questions prior to flying out in August.

Thanks,

Y

Re: Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/14 22:54
Hi
Your very welcome
Yes you wouldnt have any trouble as long as its not back to back and not
To near by countries .its ok to travel
All over asia using japan as the gateway and Japanese immigration knows that people are not gonna just come to
Japan and go back to their country and and fly to korea or hkg... they just dont want when the person keep using that and enter japan over and over.
I have done that before and it was only for sightseeing purposes but they still question to find out if you do that just to gain time or not. The only country woulnt mind that is thailand. Korea used to be pretty nice but their immigration is now pretty strict too.
Oh you were in korea..how nice, amof im rigth now in korea just for visit.
But Iive in japan

Re: Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/15 02:50
I called the Japanese Embassy in London earlier today and asked them exactly the same question I've asked in here - the gentleman I spoke to informed me that he didn't think it would be a problem, and that there was no limits on the amount of times you could enter Japan on a 'Landing Permission - Temporary Visitor' basis in any given year... so I think they're more concerned about the amount of time you actually spend in Japan in total in oppose to how often you actually travel there.

Has anyone else entered Japan numerous times in a short space of time on a 'Landing Permission - Temporary Visitor' basis?

Many Thanks,

Y

Re: Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/15 11:41
Yes, that is correct. There is no limit for tourists as long as they don't have a pattern that suggests that they may be living rather than traveling in Japan.

Has anyone else entered Japan numerous times in a short space of time on a 'Landing Permission - Temporary Visitor' basis?

The spacing between your last trip and upcoming trip would not be considered a short space of time. And your pattern is clearly that of a tourist, so you really shouldn't have anything to worry about. Better to start focusing your energy on itinerary planning instead. Have a fun trip!

Re: Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/15 18:09
Hi again
Yes japanese embassy would naturally say that.but as you may know immigration port of entries are legally highest authority and above all immigration related laws.that is same in u.k, u.s japan or any other country for that matter.
Port of entries got their special authorities and inspectors to make the final decision for people to enter the countries.
In japans case even if you have the right to enter to japan using a VWP they can easily deny the entry.
They can also deny people coming with a certificate of eligibility and visa .not in most cases but they CAN and they have the authority for that and have special trainings but they still make mistakes and people use fraudulent passports and documents to enter the country.

Re: Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/15 18:25
And yes its said that foreigners can enter to japan using landing permissions as many times as they wish to but that is in fact not true .
Even if the person would not use the entire 90 days and use just a week or half a month of that and leave Japan
When they come back they will be questioned , they would be allowed maybe twice or three times depending o on their nationalities and ethnicity YES you will be treated according to your not only nationality but your ethnicity.like you can be a u k or u s citizen of iranian ,hindu ,pakistani and such listed ethnicities and they will deny you .it maybe not related to this topic but next I will talk about something special.

Re: Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/15 18:37
Thanks for your input, smaster and yllwsmrf!

I guess you're right - in the end, it comes down to the decision of the Immigration Officer I deal with at the airport on the day I arrive - they will assess my past travel history to Japan and my current situation to decide whether I am allowed in to the country or not.

But, given that I will have been away from Japan for more than 8 months by the time I arrive, along with the fact that all of my travel to Japan was last year (to different locations in different months, too), and I'll have proof of a return ticket back to the UK 11 days after I arrive, I think that I should be fine... do you agree?

Thanks!

Y

Re: Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/28 17:51
But, given that I will have been away from Japan for more than 8 months by the time I arrive, along with the fact that all of my travel to Japan was last year (to different locations in different months, too), and I'll have proof of a return ticket back to the UK 11 days after I arrive, I think that I should be fine... do you agree?

Yes, and like I said before, your history shouldn't pose a problem at all. Enjoy your trip!

Re: Temporary Visitor Status Query 2014/7/29 04:27
over the last few years i've been to Japan 12 times , usually spring and autumn times , a couple of times 3 trips within 12 months, all for tourism visits and to meet Japanese friends, i've never had problems or been asked any questions,
so i would say you'll be fine , and not to worry,
i'm from the UK aswell
by m (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread