Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Dual Citizenship - Japanese Passport Renewal 2014/7/16 03:41
Dear all,
Hoping someone can help/advise me.

I currently hold dual citizenship (from a French Mother/Japanese Father), both acquired by birth prior to 1985.

I am currently living abroad with the Residency Visa on that country in my French Passport. However time has come to renew the Japanese Passport.
I was wondering if it is easy to get it done directly at the Japanese Embassy, eventhough they will see that there is no residency stamp in that passport, and immediately know that I hold another passport.

Im unsure of the Citizenship Laws in Japan, especially regarding my situation.

Can anyone tell me what my rights are and the best solution is for renewing the Japanese Passport? Will the Embassy give me trouble or will I be able to renew it easily? Has anyone experienced something similar?

Thank you in advance.
by lino2939  

Re: Dual Citizenship - Japanese Passport Renewal 2014/7/16 20:38
It's usually not a problem for dual nationals to renew their passport. If you do it overseas you'll have to show both your passports.

Will the Embassy give me trouble or will I be able to renew it easily?

Why don't you just call them? Don't be scared.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dual Citizenship - Japanese Passport Renewal 2014/7/16 21:34
(2) A Japanese national who has become of dual nationality before January 1, 1985 (i.e. before the day when the Nationality Law, as amended by Law No. 45 of 1984, became effective).

if you were under twenty years of age on January 1, 1985, the choice of nationality shall be made before you reach twenty two years of age.

(Note) If you fail to make the choice of nationality within the above-stated period, you shall be deemed to have made a declaration in which you swear that you choose to be a Japanese national and that you renounce the foreign nationality, at the time of the expiration of such period.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Dual Citizenship - Japanese Passport Renewal 2014/8/27 14:30
I have just returned from Japan and successfully got my passport renewed.

For those who are facing an expired passport situation or will be in the near future, you have absolutely no problem if you acquired the two nationalities (Japanese and the other) by BIRTH. The Japanese system/government has a problem with those who have been NATURALIZED, and therefore will require you to chose.

Filling in the forms are a headache though - everything needs to be filled in in Japanese and you need your Koseki Tohon, which you request from the place you are registered in Japan. They will ask a lot of questions about your current place of residence and proof of work and address. They were very nice and helpful at the Passport Renewal place.

Hope this helps.
by lino2939 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread