Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/17 00:10
Hello everyone, I am planning to make a trip to Japan for about 8 days with my girlfriend in the first two weeks of October. We've been to Japan quite a lot of times before, and we are very unsure of where we want to go this time - could really use some recommendations, especially for a completely different experience from what I've seen before. I've some ideas, and I'd like to know your thoughts on these ideas as well as suggestions for alternatives.

We've been to Japan a lot of times before, but mostly in the Winter and once in early Summer. Of course, Autumn would be quite different, but on the other hand, we probably wouldn't want to visit all the exact same places again just to see how it looks in a different season.

Right now, I have some possible ideas;
- go to Shirakawago, and perhaps look around the Kanazawa/Toyama region.
- go to Okinawa and spend a week around Naha
- go to kyushu again, I want to try a farmstay and see yakushima

For shirakawago, I'd probably fly in via Osaka or Nagoya (whichever is cheaper/has better timings)and head straight up to those areas, maybe after that spend a short time in the city that I'm entering from. I've been to both of those, but not in Autumn. Dropping by Kyoto again would be nice.

For okinawa, I'd probably go via Fukuoka, unless there's a better way to get to Okinawa from Singapore.

Finally, for kyushu, I'll head in from Fukuoka and get a rail pass.

How are these locations like in October? From what I've seen elsewhere on this site, I shouldn't expect to get vibrant red leaves until late October earliest at any of these locations. But at least the weather is cool (hopefully).

Alternatively, I'd like suggestions to somewhere that would be a very different experience from what I've seen before. Previously I've been to the following places:
- Kyushu in winter, travelled briefly to all major cities
- Osaka in winter, city and surrounding towns
- Around Tokyo prefecture in late summer (Narita, Toriyama, etc.)
- Nagoya in winter, city and surrounding areas (Inuyama etc.)
- Tokyo winter (twice), city and Kamakura area
- Hokkaido in winter, Sapporo, Otaru, Toya, Hakodate
- Kyoto, Arashiyama, Nara and Koyasan in early Summer
- Nagoya and Gifu (Sekigahara, Tsumago, Gujo) in early Summer

One last thing, we both don't like to rush. We really don't like to go to a different location every single day just to see as many sights as possible, we'd very much rather settle down in a single places for a few days at a time.

Hope to hear your thoughts on this! Many thanks in advance.

Regards
Nic
by Nic W  

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/17 10:53
Just another suggestion, but... how about Tohoku?? Maybe Sendai area and work your way up Sanriku coast to see how the area is being reconstructed after the 2011 Tsunami? Not long distances and something different. Shirakawago / Kanazawa also seems a very sensible option :)
by aerond (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/17 10:56
Hi aerond,

Thanks for the reply!

Sorry, I forgot to mention too - personally I really want to see north honshu, but my girlfriend is really really scared of possible radiation/tsunami dangers, so that's probably not going to be on our plans for quite a while ):

by Nic W rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/17 11:37
For some seasonal highlight the first half of Oct is good for autumn foliage in certain regions of Hokkaido. In early Oct Sounkyo Gorge in the Daisetsuzan National Park is a very popular koyo destination. During mid Oct south of Sapporo in Jozankei, Houheikyou Dam and the Niseko region fall colours would be spectacular as well.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/21 00:42
Shirakawago facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/shirakawagoinfo

Shirakawago live webcam - http://shirakawa-go.org/livecam/

Here is my experience in Shirakawago but I visited there during winter - http://whenshetravelstheworld.blogspot.sg/2013/12/japans-golden-route-...
by wenwen0614 rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/21 00:52
If you go to Okinawa I would recommend renting a car and getting out of Naha for part of your trip. You can see all Naha has to offer in about two days. Even keeping your hotel in Naha and taking day trips out by car would be good.
by daai maou rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/21 01:06
Thank you very much for all your responses!

@William5: I spent some time looking up Hokkaido. I think in October, it would be really nice to see Daisetsuzan, and possibly drop by Furano since it's nearby. But I'm very worried about the amount of hiking involved.

@daai maou: How long do you think an average traveller could spend on the main island before getting really bored? Even if I don't go Okinawa this time, I very definitely want to go there eventually, maybe next year. I'd like to find out of it's suitable for a week-long holiday, or longer. I don't mind getting a car to drive around, but I'd like to just stay on one island.
by Nic W rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/21 05:31
@Nic W,

I've only been to Okinawa once so far. I stayed on the main island (didn't travel to any other islands) for a week. I guess it depends on what you are interested in, but I could have stayed for another week. To me, there wasn't a lot in Naha and by the end of the second day I was really looking for things to do, so I rented a car and got out of Naha everyday for the rest of the week I was there.

Though if I did stay longer, I would have moved to a different location. Naha is on the southern portion of the island and I would have moved to the northern portion for the second week to make it easier for exploring that area rather than driving all the way back to Naha at the end of every day.

Driving on the main island was very easy, and I come from a country where we drive on the right side of the road. Everyone was slow and cautious. Even the speed on the toll highway was slow compared to what I am used to driving at home.
by daai maou rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/21 07:02
How about Yamaguchi prefecture.
I live in Yamaguchi and I recommend my prefecture.

In October, Akiyoshi-dai Plateau Area in Yamaguchi is very very beautiful.
And Akiyoshi limestone cave is the longest cave in Japan.
Akiyoshi cave is also beautiful.
by yasu the otaku rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/21 09:58
Daisetsuzan National Park is indeed a very popular hiking destination in Hokkaido, especially the part between Kurodake and Asahidake but it is not a must to hike to enjoy the area. We were not into hiking but we still enjoyed the autumn foliage in Sounkyo Gorge by taking the Kurodake Ropeway for the view. The access road from Kamikawa to Sounkyo already provides stunning koyo scenery on the mt slopes.

Going to Furano is also a nice idea. Although the best time for it is summer for flowers but even during early Oct some colourful outdoor flower fields can still be seen in Farm Tomita in Furano and Hills of Zerubu and Atom in Biei. BTW, Biei is a highly worthwhile destination year round as it has the best countryside scenery in Hokkaido, IMO.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/21 11:34
Your gf is afraid of radiation and tsunami? Sorry but that is irrational. Shame you have to miss out on Tohoku because of her fear.
by sinful (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/21 13:52
@sinful
Thank you for prevention of damage by rumors.
But the travel is for pleasure, she has her wish.
Natto is very good for health and tasty, but some dislike it. And raw fishes too. No one can enjoy under compulsion.
By the way, I avoid to take airplanes if I can, I know it's irrational but to tell the truth, I'm a bit afraid.(^-^;
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/21 13:58
People who refuse to go to Tohoku are idiots but hey, at least they don't overcrowd it and keep it nice and clean for the rest of us!
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/21 18:08
If you've never been to Takayama, Shirakawa, or Kanazawa then I'd say that's a great idea for you.

We were there in the third week of Oct (a little later than you plan to be there) last year, and the forests up in the Oku-Hida area (a little outside Takayama, up into the mountains) were maybe about half way through changing colour, so there was a lovely patchwork mix of reds and greens. Red maple leaves were falling in the rotemburo, and all was well with the world. The climate is lovely at that time of the year, neither too hot nor too cold nor too rainy.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/26 19:18
I recommend having a look at Kinosaki Onsen. Best three days of our last trip to Japan. Relaxing and great food.
by Rdbris (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Recommendations: 9th trip to Japan in October 2014/7/27 11:08
TOBA - Mikimoto Pearl Island and a large aquarium, the only one in the world with Dugongs.

SHIRAHAMA - A beautiful white sand beach. Should be nearly empty in October. A large underground water cave used by pirates 1000 or so years ago.

Both accessible from Osaka in 2 to 3 hours by express train.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

reply to this thread