Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/18 11:17
I would like to get a 3days Kansai thru pass. If I use it from the KIX to Osaka at. 20:30 of the first day, aug 28, is it considered pne day?
Thank you.
by Mami0302  

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/18 13:01
by eriri (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/18 14:22
I'm sorry about the typo error. What I meant was would it be considered one day even if I used it for only one to two hours?our plane will be arriving at 9:30pm.
Thank you.

by Mami0302 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/18 15:12
Change "Input the search parameters"
dep 10pm 15min or later.
by Han (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/18 16:40
The replies aren't helping the OP! The day you activate the pass counts as the first day; they work by calendar days, not number of hours. I suggest you get an Icoca & Haruka package (look up on this site) for your first day instead.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/18 16:43
would it be considered one day even if I used it for only one to two hours?

Yes. In this case your pass for day 1 is expired at 24:00, I suppose.

The official site says "One day is counted as the duration from the first train to the last train in a day. (Not 24 hours from the time when you purchase it.)".

http://www.surutto.com/tickets/kansai_thru_english.html

I am no sure whether the pass is valid after 24:00 if your train starts, say, 23:30 and arrives at 24:30 to your destination. However, in your case, the pass for day 1 is not valid for your second day.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/18 17:42
If you are already on a train at midnight the day the pass finishes, it remains "valid" until you get off the train. If you change trains after midnight, you will have to pay the fare for the second train.

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/18 19:51
Thank you for the info. I guess I will just have to purchase a one way ticket from KIX to Osaka then get a two day Kansai thru pass for the next day for day trip to Koyasan and use the second day for the return trip to KIX.
Would this save me money or should I just stick to a Haruka Icoca card?

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/18 19:57
in Japan, and in Japanese language, one day means one calender day which is finished at the midnight 24:00.
your first day is from 20:30 to 24:00 on Aug.28. I advise you to activate your pass in the morning, otherwise you will lose most of your first day.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/18 20:18
The Icoca and Haruka package includes a roundtrip from Kansai Airport (must return within two weeks) and the Icoca card, which is a prepaid travel card you could use within Osaka. If you're only going to Koyasan from Osaka, it would be better for you to get a Koyasan World Heritage Pass, which is cheaper than the Kansai pass and includes a round trip between Osaka and Koyasan, travel on Koyasan buses and discounts to Koyasan attractions. Look it up on this forum for more info.

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/18 20:24
Just reread your last reply. Are you arriving Aug 28, going to Koyasan on Aug 29 and returning to KIX Aug 30? In that case, a 3-day Kansai Thru Pass will be much cheaper (the same price as just the Icoca and Haruka return trip package) as that is only three days! If you're travelling more after Koyasan, my other suggestion wotks best as you get a discounted round trip to the airport plus a prepaid card you can use on public transport throughout Japan (with some exceptions).

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/18 22:03
Thank you all for your help.
Actually this is our IT.
Aug 28- arrive KIX 8pm.
Aug 29- day tour of Osaka sites
Aug 30- mount Koya or any other side trip(not Kyoto or Nara as we will be doing this on another trip)
Aug 31- shopping in Osaka till pm flight from KIX

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/19 05:54
Aug 28- arrive KIX 8pm.

If you want to go to Umeda (near JR Osaka station), the cheapest ticket is Kanku Chikatoku ticket (1000 yen) which covers Nankai line to Namba and unlimited ride of Osaka municipal subway.

http://www.howto-osaka.com.e.iv.hp.transer.com/top/ticket/railway/chik...

Aug 29- day tour of Osaka sites

If you want to go some touristic attractions such as Floating Garden or Osakajo castle, Osaka amazing pass (2300 yen) might pay off.

http://www.osaka-info.jp/osp/en/index.html

Aug 30- mount Koya or any other side trip(not Kyoto or Nara as we will be doing this on another trip)
Aug 31- shopping in Osaka till pm flight from KIX

Kansai thru pass 2 day (4200 yen) will pay off.

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/19 13:49
Thank you so much for all ypur help.
Btw, our hotel is Hotel Vista Grande in Dotonburi. I learned that this is in the red light district bt accdg to the reviews it seems ok. I guess we can use the discount ticket frm KIX to Nankai Namba as you mentioned? Or can you suggest a better way..

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/19 14:49
Hotel Vista Grande Osaka is located in between Nanba and Shinsaibashi. The Hotel site says the nearest station is Nanba (for Nankai, Kintetsu, and Osaka municipal subway).

https://www.google.co.jp/maps/@34.668751,135.503185,3a,75y,355.53h,73....

This is the view from somewhere near B20 exit of Nanba Walk underground shopping arcade. I do not say this hotel is located in a beautiful atmosphere, though, it is not located in a red light district. It is in a shopping/eating area in the center of Osaka. As a former Osakan, I would say it is a very Osakan place :). Nearby are Daruma, Imai, and Zuboraya which are very famous diners in Osaka.

I think you must walk about 10 min from Nankai Namba station, and using taxi might be more difficult since the road is narrow and complicated with many one-way street.

The Chikatoku ticket I mentioned earlier if useful if you take subway, but for this hotel you do not need to take subway, so you might better just by the normal ticket (Nankai line) from KIX to Namba (890 yen).

If you stay in Osaka (Umeda) area, Kansai thru pass is obviously cheaper than the normal ticket.

Osaka to KIX (240+890 yen)
Osaka to Koyasan x2 (1500x2)
Total 4130 yen
Osaka thru Pass 2 day 3800 yen

But since you are staying in Namba, the fares are
Namba to KIX (890 yen)
Namba to Koyasan (1260x2)
Total 3410 yen

However, you will use Nankai Rinkan bus in Koyasan.

Koyasan to Okunoin 330 yen
Okunoiu to Koyasan 330 yen

Further, you might want to ride the subway on the last day.

Then I think still Kansai thru pass has advantage to the normal tickets. It should be mentioned that if you have the pass, you do not need to buy the tickets each time.

Have a nice trip in Osaka!

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/20 01:26
Wow!! Thank you soooo much frog1954. That was great! You even did all the math for us. Okay, so I will take normal Airport ticket to Nankai on upon arrival, then maybe go on a walking tour around Namba, Dotonburi and Shinsaibash on the second day. For our third and fourth day, I'll get the 2 day Kansai pass for Koyasan and our return trip to the airport.
Thank you!

Re: Kansai thru pass from KIX at 20:30 day 1? 2014/7/20 08:04
Nankai railways operates "limited express" trains which require additional fees. From KIX to Namba (and vice versa) they operates Rapiit (510 yen for reserved seat, 720 yen for super seat, there is no non-reserved seat).

http://goo.gl/zQiELR

From Namba to Gokurakubashi (Koyasan) there is Koya (780 yen for reserved seat, there is no non-reserved seat).

http://goo.gl/o5cwZl

Upon arrival to KIX, you might better take the immediate train whether or not it is limited express (Rapiit). If the immediate train is Rapiit, please add the fee. You can buy the ticket from the vending machine or the ticket counter. If the immediate train is Nankai airport express, just get on it. Hyperdia suggest the transfer at Izumisano, but I recommend not to transfer but just go on it to Namba.

To and from Koyasan, you might better reserve Koya. It is somewhat long ride and the seat fee would be worth the price.

Further, if you will not use subway in Osaka, your best bet would be Koyasan-World Heritage Ticket.

http://www.nankaikoya.jp/en/stations/ticket.html

The fare is 3400 yen which includes the fare to/from Koyasan, Rinkan bus at Koyasan and one way fare (Namba to Gokurakubashi) of the reserved seat on Koya.

Kansai thru Pass 2 days 3800 yen
Reserved seat for Koya 780 yen
Total 4580 yen

Koyasan-World Heritage Ticket 3400 yen
Namba to KIX 890 yen
Total 4290 yen

It might be somewhat complex, so if you have more questions, please do not hesitate to ask here.

reply to this thread