Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Translate an omikuji 2014/7/20 20:14
Hello!
I recently visited two shrines in Kyoto (Fushimi Inari and Jishu Shrine). I bought omikuji from both but unfortunately I cannot read Japanese so I was wondering if someone could possibly translate for me? Thank you!

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/monkeystickofchalk/P1020137_zp...

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/monkeystickofchalk/P1020164_zp...

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee16/monkeystickofchalk/P1020165_zp...
by Angie (guest)  

Re: Translate an omikuji 2014/8/1 23:19
Your omikuji of Jishu-jinja (the 2nd & 3rd pics) seems to be written in english on the back of it.

Your omikuji of Fushimi Inari (the 1st pic) says:
(The upper-right column)
No.19
(The upper-center)
Omikuji of Sohongu Fushimi Inari Taisha (Full name of Fushimi Inari)
(The upper-left)
"Sue kichi" (Good luck to come. "Sue" means future or the end. "kichi" means luck.)

(The lower-right column)
The 1st line is an old song (Waka) of love in 13c. It reads: Shiguresuru Inarinoyamano momijibawa aokarishiyori omoisometeki. ( [When I saw you for the first time,] It was dizzling on the mountain of Inari, and leaves of momiji trees were green. Since then, I have been missed you.)

The 2nd & 3rd line says: This teaches us that sometimes a man and a woman get together with each other by chance. Harmony between a couple is delightful, but you should not be amorous.

(The lower-left)
Items from upper-right to upper-left:
Direction: Northeast is good.
The person you wait for: will come.
Sickness: will get better.
Lawsuit: Seek advice from experienced persons and watch for a chance.
Business: It will take time, but you will success well.

Items for lower-right to lower-left:
Building a house or moving: good.
Travel: good.
Competition: You will win.
Lost item: will be found.
by Hiroshi (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate an omikuji 2014/8/2 02:01
You don't need to be able to read Japanese. The English translation is printed in black on the back of your omikuji.
by Minerva (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate an omikuji 2014/8/2 07:22
Hello!

Thank you for your help in translating. With regards to the omikuji from Jishu shrine, I am aware that there is English on the other side, however the wording is slightly bizarre so I don't really understand the meaning they are trying to convey so I was wondering if someone could word it better for me!
by Angie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Translate an omikuji 2014/8/2 21:01
Its wordings in Japanese are also somewhat bizarre, because it is an oracle!
I translated it freely. "You can realize your dream as if the Sun were in your hands. But, in its process, some difficulties will fall on you. Be pious and modest, and you must become happy."
by Hiroshi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread