Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What Electronics / Appliances will work? 2014/7/21 15:01
High I may getting ready to move from US to Tokyo on a long term assignment mid Aug this year. I was looking for some advice from the forum on Electronics and Appliances from the US in the list below that will work in Tokyo -

Home Electronics -
1. Onkyo 7.1 Receiver & Home Theatre (this is the central brain and connects all the other gadgets)
2. Nintendo Wii
3. LG or Sony Blue Ray Player
4. Apple TV
5. Panasonic Plasma TV 55 inch
6. Yamaha DGX 640 digital piano
7. Macbook computer

Will these work in Tokyo and do I need to plan to buy a step down transformer to hook all the stuff up to? I have a Furman power conditioner and cleaner already that holds to 120V.

Appliances -
1. Vacuum Cleaner
2. Rice Cooker
3. Toaster
4. Coffee Maker
5. Food Processor
6. Hair Dryer
7. Flat Iron
8. 2-3 table fans
9. space heater

I will appreciate any input. Thanks.
by debd112236  

Re: What Electronics / Appliances will work? 2014/7/21 15:23
1. Onkyo 7.1 Receiver & Home Theatre (this is the central brain and connects all the other gadgets): OK
2. Nintendo Wii: not OK. Region-locked you will have to bring your games, those sold here will not work
3. LG or Sony Blue Ray Player: not OK. Not same region, bring your discs or buy them from Amazon US once here. Forget about video rental shops...
4. Apple TV: OK
5. Panasonic Plasma TV 55 inch: not OK. Will not work with BS Digital or Japanese Digital terrestrial television. You will have to buy a tuner to use your tv as a monitor.
6. Yamaha DGX 640 digital piano: OK.
7. Macbook computer: OK.

All other appliances will work, no need to buy any adapter however be ready for a HUGE electric bill...I mean huge!
by Guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What Electronics / Appliances will work? 2014/7/21 16:38
You could still use your region-locked appliances, just be aware that you could only use games/DVDs/etc. from your own country. Those bought in Japan will not work with your current systems. Have you thought about renting/buying second hand ones online?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What Electronics / Appliances will work? 2014/7/21 20:40
American electronics work in Japan no problem, don't worry about it.
Yes the Wii will be region locked, but it's not like there are new games coming out for the system any way.
by guesto (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What Electronics / Appliances will work? 2014/7/21 21:00
Guest is incorrect about the Blu-ray player not working. The US and Japan both use the same region code of A for blu-rays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Region_codes

However, you will not be able to play Japanese DVDs.
by daai maou rate this post as useful

Re: What Electronics / Appliances will work? 2014/7/22 08:41
Its true that the Wii will not accept Japanese games. Nintendo consoles are like that. so you also shouldn't buy a 3DS or a Wii U while in Japan since they won't be able to accept games in English.

I also think you should leave the DVD/Blu-Ray player at home. Yes, Blu Rays would still work on it, but if you wanna watch DVDs too, why not buy a cheap region-free player once you get here.
by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What Electronics / Appliances will work? 2014/7/22 09:08
Not all Nintendo consoles are like that - the old DS and DSi were totally region unlocked. But the 3DS and any new games are now region locked.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What Electronics / Appliances will work? 2014/7/22 11:29
Just to recap:

1. Onkyo 7.1 Receiver & Home Theatre - OK
2. Nintendo Wii - OK for US games
3. LG or Sony Blue Ray Player - OK for US and JP Bluray, OK for US DVDs (you can get a cheap region free or JP dvd player to supplement
4. Apple TV - OK for most content when using a US AppleID. Some things will be region-locked. You can always make a JP AppleID to supplement, or look into VPN options.
5. Panasonic Plasma TV 55 inch - will need a JP digital tuner to get JP content
6. Yamaha DGX 640 digital piano - OK
7. Macbook computer - OK

Will these work in Tokyo and do I need to plan to buy a step down transformer to hook all the stuff up to?

No (and FYI it would be a step-up transformer, not step down).

1. Vacuum Cleaner - OK with caveats
2. Rice Cooker - OK with caveats
3. Toaster - OK with caveats
4. Coffee Maker - OK with caveats
5. Food Processor - OK with caveats
6. Hair Dryer - will work, but likely at a lower power level
7. Flat Iron - will work, but likely at a lower power level
8. 2-3 table fans - ok
9. space heater - will work, but likely at a lower power level

The caveats are that really simple machines should work no problem, but anything with more sophisticated electronics may not work. Electronic timers are often something that is affected, so something like setting your coffee maker to make coffee in the morning could be affected.

Also, unless you are particularly attached to your appliances, I'd just recommend getting new ones here. It's likely to be easier and cheaper over shipping them over.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: What Electronics / Appliances will work? 2014/7/22 12:33
We moved from the US to Tokyo last year. All my kitchen electronics work fine. Hairdryer, fans, curling iron no problem. Don't worry about it and don't waste money purchasing new ones when you get here either. Everything is ridiculously expensive.
The only thing I had to use a travel plug for was my Kitchen Aid mixer since it has a 3 prong plug. Works fine though.
by Britgal (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What Electronics / Appliances will work? 2014/7/24 07:35
Japan can be extremely pricey, but for some items there is not much price difference.
But seriously - bring a 55 inch TV with you?
Is someone else paying for your moving costs?
If you think Japan is pricey, just try shipping over a bunch of stuff.
Many small household items you can pick up fairly cheaply; there are 2nd hand stores also you can try, or look for someone else's sayonara sale where you can really get a haul of good stuff.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: What Electronics / Appliances will work? 2014/7/24 08:10
Most electronics are (way) cheaper than in Europe which may mean it's still more expensive than US but hardly "ridiculously pricey". Check amazon.co.jp or biccamera.com and see for yourself.

After all, the main question is for how long are you moving and how much you want to hang on to your current lifestyle (I don't miss my HD projector).

I also congratulate you on your relo package because moving half a ton of electronics is going to cost a few hundred or even thousands USD. Not many companies are that generous these days.
by just a guest (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread