Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 10:49
Hello all, I'm a 15 year old Japanese-American. My family and I live in the US, however, every summer, the whole family goes to Japan for 6 weeks to see my relatives. I'm also planning to go back to Japan for a week during Christmas and new years. The thing is, I would like to get a Japanese citizenship and passport. Here's the situation: I was born in the US. My mother is Japanese, was born in Japan, has a Japanese citizenship, and has a Japanese passport. My father was born in the US, and does NOT have or intends to have Japanese citizenship. My younger brother was born in the US, and has a Japanese citizenship and passport (he is a dual-citizen). The reason my brother has Japanese citizenship is because if you were born anywhere outside Japan, and one of your parents are Japanese, your parents have only a few months to submit a birth certificate in order to receive Japanese citizenship. So why do I not have Japanese citizenship? This is because the hospital I was born at took a heck of a long time to get my birth certificate issued. By the time my parents applied, it was already too late. :( So, my question here is, how do I get a Japanese citizenship with the above conditions? I already know that I don't have to go through the entire naturalization process; I don't have to live in Japan for five years.
by georgem  

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 11:36
From the Wikipedia entry on Japanese Nationality Law:

It is generally difficult to have dual citizenship of Japan and another country, due to the provisions for loss of Japanese nationality when a Japanese national naturalizes in another country (see "Loss of citizenship" above), and the requirement to renounce one's existing citizenships when naturalizing in Japan (see "Naturalization" above).

There are still some ways in which a person may have dual citizenship of Japan and another country, including:

They had dual citizenship prior to January 1, 1985, when the Nationality Law was enacted
They acquire multiple citizenships at birth, such as being born to a non-Japanese citizen parent and acquiring that parent's citizenship as a result of that country's laws or by being born in a jus soli country. However, they must choose one citizenship/nationality before the age of 22 or within two years if the second citizenship is acquired after the age of 20, or they may lose their Japanese nationality (see "Loss of citizenship" above).

So, I'd say it's pretty much impossible for you to have dual citizenship. Even your brother will have to choose between his American and Japanese citizenships before he turns 22 since he was born after 1985, and your father can't ever get dual citizenship since he will be applying after 1985. You will have to renounce your current citizenship to become a Japanese citizen, but you're right about not having to go through the five year naturalisation process:
The Minister of Justice may waive the age and residence requirements if the applicant has a special relationship to Japan (for example, a Japanese parent).

I suggest you talk to the Japanese embassy in your home country for more information.
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 11:40
Well, that doesn't matter yet. I have until two years from the time I reach 20 years of age to decide which citizenship I want. I'm only 15 years old. Chances are, I'm going to take the Japanese citizenship since I plan on living in Japan (I'm pretty fluent in Japanese).
by georgem rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 11:45
http://www.moj.go.jp/MINJI/minji78.html

‚Q @‘Ђ̗¯•Û‚ð‚µ‚È‚©‚Á‚½ŽÒ‚̑ЂÌĎ擾i‘Ж@‘æ17ð‘æ‚P€j
@ŠO‘‚Ŷ‚܂ꂽŽq‚ÅCo¶‚É‚æ‚Á‚Ä“ú–{‘ЂƓ¯Žž‚ÉŠO‘‘ЂàŽæ“¾‚µ‚½Žq‚ÍCo¶“Í‚Æ‚Æ‚à‚É“ú–{‘Ђ𗯕ۂ·‚éŽ|‚ð“Í‚¯o‚È‚¯‚ê‚ÎC‚»‚Ìo¶‚ÌŽž‚É‚³‚©‚Ì‚Ú‚Á‚Ä“ú–{‘Ð‚ðŽ¸‚¢‚Ü‚·B
@‚µ‚©‚µC“ú–{‘Ђ𗯕ۂµ‚È‚©‚Á‚½‚±‚Æ‚É‚æ‚Á‚Ä“ú–{‘Ђð‘rŽ¸‚µ‚½Žq‚ÍCŽŸ‚Ì—vŒ‚ð–ž‚½‚µ‚Ä‚¢‚éꇂɂÍC–@–±‘åb‚É“Í‚¯o‚邱‚Æ‚É‚æ‚Á‚ÄC“ú–{‘ЂðĎ擾‚·‚邱‚Æ‚ª‚Å‚«‚Ü‚·B

@(1 ) “Ío‚ÌŽž‚É20Ζ¢–ž‚Å‚ ‚邱‚ÆB
@(2 ) “ú–{‚ÉZŠ‚ð—L‚·‚邱‚ÆB
@u“ú–{‚ÉZŠ‚ð—L‚·‚邱‚Æv‚Æ‚ÍC“Ío‚ÌŽž‚ÉC¶Šˆ‚Ì–{‹’‚ª“ú–{‚É‚ ‚邱‚Æ‚ð‚¢‚¢‚Ü‚·iŠÏŒõCe‘°–K–â“™‚ňꎞ“I‚É“ú–{‚É‘ØÝ‚µ‚Ä‚¢‚éꇓ™‚É‚ÍC“ú–{‚ÉZŠ‚ª‚ ‚é‚Æ‚Í”F‚ß‚ç‚ê‚Ü‚¹‚ñBjB
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 11:56
In your case, it doesn't matter about "choosing" before 22, because you don't have Japanese citizenship now, and can never be a dual citizenship holder with Japan because you did not get the citizenship at birth. But, it is definitely possible for you to get Japanese citizenship at any time, provided you are willing to give up your US citizenship. I would start talking to the embassy now so you can find out if they will exempt you from the naturlisation requirements (which seems fairly likely) and get your citizenship organised now, before you make big plans relying on that passport only to find out it's going to take a long time to organise.

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 11:57
Ok, things are starting to make sense. Would a lawyer help?

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 12:20
The law changed in 2008 and it is no longer such a short period to be recognised by a Japanese father and register a birth to a koseki. However, it seems you only had until 2011 to make retrospective citizenship claim. As you are under 20 it might still be possible, talk to your local embassy for advice.

Otherwise, you qualify for a "child of Japanese citizen visa" and a faster route to naturalisation.
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 12:46
A lawyer won't be necessary; there's nothing to argue, no case to win. Just talk to the embassy, that's who will help you get your passport. There is no other way.

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 13:11
Thanks everyone. So the solution would be to talk to a Japanese embassy. In fact, I'm actually still here in Japan, so I could just go to the immigration office/ minister of justice and ask there. (even better!)

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 13:52
Have you read ken's post. It seems it should be a relatively simple matter to reacquire your Japanese citizenship as long as you are domiciled in Japan. And I believe ...(guest) is incorrect that you would have to give up your US citizenship to reacquire your Japanese citizenship. That shouldn't be necessary if you are under the age of 20.

Either way, I'm seeing some obviously questionable advice here, so I wouldn't rely on any of the information you get in this thread. Best off consulting an immigration lawyer familiar with these situations and get some real legal advice.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 15:06
The OP has never held Japanese citizenship, and I was under the impression that if you don't register for it at birth you cannot receive dual citizenship, regardless of age. However, I could be wrong having never been in this situation myself. If you're already in Japan definitely go to the embassy. You can always ask if you are eligible for dual until you turn 22.

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 15:39
No worries, I think it can be explained here:

http://www.moj.go.jp/ENGLISH/information/tnl-01.html

If I read that correctly, it seems that the OP was automatically Japanese who then retroactively "lost" her citizenship per Article 12 of the nationality law since you must actively register to maintain your nationality. Article 17 of the law gives means for those types of people to reacquire their Japanese citizenship, so it looks to be possible as long as they fulfill the requirements.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 17:11
Thanks yllwsmrf, I think I do qualify. But I should really visit the Immigration Bureau (in Shinagawa?) to make sure. I've got five years.

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 18:02
But I should really visit the Immigration Bureau (in Shinagawa?) to make sure.

If you have questions about the Child visa, immigration office is the right place.

If you have questions about acquiring citizenship, go to the legal affairs office in your city.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Getting a Japanese Citizenship? 2014/7/23 21:13
the OP can't read Japanese ?
visiting Japan regularly may not qualify.
you must LIVE in Japan.
it is better to consult a proper lawyer. you must finish your application until 20 years old.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread