Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving in Asahikawa and Daisetsuzan? 2014/7/25 12:16
I am thinking of renting a car in Asahikawa for visiting Furano, Biel and Daisetsuzan National Park. My concern is if the road signage is all in Japanese and there is no English it may make driving around difficult.

Any comment?

If that is the case any suggestion on how to move around (other than taxi, which will be very expensive) in that area?
by EL lee (guest)  

Re: Driving in Asahikawa and Daisetsuzan? 2014/7/25 12:20
My concern is if the road signage is all in Japanese and there is no English it may make driving around difficult.
Any comment?

Driving around Japan is not too difficult. Road signage is typically written both in Japanese and in English (romaji). Also look into rental cars with English language navigation systems, or bring a smartphone that can access google maps. With either of those things you should be ok navigating around.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Asahikawa and Daisetsuzan? 2014/7/25 13:26
Outside winter months driving around Asahikawa, Biei and Furano should be fairly straight forward though more traffic can be expected during summer when Furano and Biei are popular flower destinations. Depending on where you are going in the Daisetsuzan National Park, the drive between Asahikawa and Sounkyo is also quite easy. If going for Asahidake Onsen and especially Tenninkyo Onsen some winding country and mt roads are involved but still not too much of a concern under fair weather.

Most major road signs has English written on them and shouldn't be difficult to follow.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hrm01/5093233565/

by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Asahikawa and Daisetsuzan? 2014/7/25 14:58

A few years ago I rented a car visiting places you are visiting. Initially I was a wee bit worried as I neither speak nor read Japanese.
But things turned out to be "piece of cake ". Driving in the areas was so easy, especially with GPS (in Japanese).
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Driving in Asahikawa and Daisetsuzan? 2014/7/25 21:02
Dear All fellow contributors,

Thanks very much for your input.You have made my day.
by EL lee (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread