Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visa change from tourist to working/dependent 2014/7/25 14:25
Hello! I would like to ask if anyone has any experience and/or advice on changing Visa status from a short-term stay (I am from a country for which Japan does not require a tourist Visa) to working Visa and dependent Visa (the first for me and the latter for my wife). Is this a standard procedure or should we expect troubles?
I know it is always better to apply for the Visas through a consulate before entering Japan but the reason I am asking is that we have booked flights before we'll recieve the letter of eligibility.
Thank you all in advance!
by mirohito  

Re: Visa change from tourist to working/dependent 2014/7/25 14:41
Yes. You will have to fill in the form called
APPLICATION FOR CHANGE OF STATUS OF RESIDENCE
Link to Japan Immigration:

http://www.immi-moj.go.jp/english/tetuduki/kanri/shyorui/02-format.htm...

The form for Temporary Visitors is the first one listed.

by guest (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visa change from tourist to working/dependent 2014/7/25 17:07
Technically the rules state that in principal you aren't supposed to be able to change from tourist to work visa, but in practice it is a regular thing that they process all of the time. You'll need to bring in your COE and submit it with your other documents. I believe both status changes can be processed simultaneously, but you may want to check with your local immigration office to be sure.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Visa change from tourist to working/dependent 2014/7/25 17:09
btw, I think guest(guest) meant to direct you to choose from the list the visa category that you will CHANGE TO. Not visitor, which is what you are changing from.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Visa change from tourist to working/dependent 2014/7/25 17:15
Has your future employer in Japan already applied for your CoE, it is being processed, and you are coming to Japan before that is issued? Be sure to let your future employer know you are coming, and that it is no problem with them.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread