Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can a taxi fit 3 people + luggage? 2014/7/26 13:15
My friends and I are going to stay in Hotel MyStays Ueno Iriyaguchi, and I just noticed that it's quite a long walk from the Keisei Ueno station (since we will be riding the Keisei Skyliner from the airport). Normally, I wouldn't mind a 15-minute walk, but one of our companions has mild scoliosis and she can't walk too far carrying her luggage with her. I was wondering how much would it cost if we just hailed a cab from Keisei Ueno straight to the hotel, and if it's possible to fit the 3 of us plus our luggage (1 luggage per person). If it's not possible, what other options are there? We can't afford a limousine taxi straight from the airport because we are on a limited budget, and we don't really want to ride separate taxis because one of us might get lost (my 2 companions don't know how to speak Japanese and haven't really been to Japan, so they prefer to travel with me since I can speak the language and have been to Tokyo multiple times).
by Lev (guest)  

Re: Can a taxi fit 3 people + luggage? 2014/7/26 17:46
Hi,
Taxi fee vary depending on distance and time.
but if it's less than 2000m, it's fix price,730yen.(if you take a taxi after 10pm,you need to pay extra fee).

So, Normally taxi fee is 730 yen from Keisei Ueno station to your hotel.

And it's no problem about your luggage.

by sorafujii rate this post as useful

Re: Can a taxi fit 3 people + luggage? 2014/7/26 17:59
When in a day is your flight scheduled?
Have you confirmed that you cannot choose Haneda Airport [HND]?

My friends and I are going to stay in Hotel MyStays Ueno Iriyaguchi
we will be riding the Keisei Skyliner from the airport
I was wondering how much would it cost if we just hailed a cab from Keisei Ueno straight to the hotel, and if it's possible to fit the 3 of us plus our luggage (1 luggage per person).

I suppose one taxi car of a typical size in Tokyo usually can carry up to four persons and their luggage.
It will not make a big difference whether you take a taxi from Keisei Ueno Station, Ueno Station of JR or Inaricho Station of Tokyo Metro (subway). If a taxi runs smoothly, a taxi fare is estimated at 730 yen per car and you will reach the hotel in 5 minutes or so.

It is about 1 kilometer on foot from the platform of Keisei Ueno Station to the hotel.

You can make a simple transfer in Nippori via Keisei-JR transfer gate to JR Yamanote Linefs outer loop (Track 10) and take a JR train for several minutes to Ueno Station (Track 3).
However, it seems to be still about 750 meters on foot from the JR platform to the hotel.

We can't afford a limousine taxi straight from the airport because we are on a limited budget

The route mainly by Keisei Skyliner train is not the most cost-saving option.

If you are OK not to reserve your seats, you can take one or two trains on Keisei Main Line + Keisei Oshiage Line + Toei subway Asakusa Line to Asakusa Station, make a transfer to Tokyo Metro (subway) Ginza Line, take a train (from Track 1) for a few minutes to Inaricho Station and walk to the hotel.
The one-way fares are 1260 yen per way, including 280 yen subway fare.
It is about 280 meters on foot from Exit 2 of Inaricho Station to the hotel.
A possible demerit of this route is that it includes a staircase in each of the Tokyo Metro Asakusa and Inaricho Stations.

The one-way regular Keisei cost for your Skyliner ride to Nippori or Keisei Ueno is 2470 yen per way.
If you purchase a Keisei Skyliner & Tokyo Subway Ticket package, you can save the Keisei cost by about 500 yen per way. Whether a Tokyo Subway Ticket pays off or not depends on your places to visit and traveling paces.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Can a taxi fit 3 people + luggage? 2014/7/26 22:26
Hi! Thanks a lot for the replies.

Our trip has already been scheduled and tickets have been booked for January 12 until January 20. It's still quite a ways away but I just want everything to be smooth when we get there.

Yes I am aware that the route using the Keisei Skyliner isn't the cheapest, but it's definitely cheaper than a limousine taxi (which reaches until Y20,000 when I looked) and as you mentioned, we can't do a lot of station changes as it will be inconvenient for our companion. So in this case, we just chose the Keisei Skyliner since it goes straight to Ueno, but our only problem was the distance to the hotel hence the taxi.

I'm not sure about the exact size of our luggage, but I used Takkyuubin for my size before and they charged me the 160 size. Will we still fit in a Taxi given 3 luggages like this?
by Lev (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a taxi fit 3 people + luggage? 2014/7/26 22:44
Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 11am, and for our departure it's going to be at 11am as well.
by Lev (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Can a taxi fit 3 people + luggage? 2014/7/28 18:04
Regarding luggage size, (assuming it's the same model black taxi) depending on how the luggage is arranged, two 29" luggage should be able to fit into the boot. The third could be placed in the front passenger seat while the three of you sit at the back.
by CLLR rate this post as useful

Re: Can a taxi fit 3 people + luggage? 2014/7/28 18:59
Yes, three carry on size suitcases will fit in the trunk. Three check-in's may not, but you can probably all still fit in one taxi (2 suitcases in back, one in the car with you guys).
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Can a taxi fit 3 people + luggage? 2014/7/28 21:31
A driver of a Japanese taxi gets the left rear door open and closed automatically, while the left front door (to the smaller passenger seat) may well need to be handled manually.

January 12 until January 20.
Our flight is scheduled to arrive at 11am, and for our departure it's going to be at 11am as well

Judging from the dates and the timings, I suppose you can avoid morning and evening railroad rushes of weekdays during your airport accesses.

Monday, January 12 of 2015 will be Coming-of-Age Day, which is one of Japanese national holidays. Timetables for (Saturdays,) Sundays and holidays will apply to many bus and railroad (including subway) lines. Public facilities such as museums and libraries which are usually closed on Mondays may be open on this day and closed on a later day instead.
Tuesday, January 20 of 2015 will be a normal weekday.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

reply to this thread