Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 27

1 2
next

Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/7/31 12:07
Hi, I'm very concerned about our Tokyo layover. We are scheduled to arrive in Narita Airport at 2100. Our flight departs from Haneda International at 0030, but since we are required to check in at least an hour early to fly international, we must arrive at Haneda before 2330. Is this transfer possible without taking a very expensive taxi? The last limobus departs Narita at 2130 and I'm worried we will not be able to make it.

Thank you for your help!!
by Antonio (guest)  

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/7/31 12:32
That is extremely tricky if not impossible, especially considering that your flight to Narita may be delayed.

You should discuss that with whoever booked your connecting flight. Otherwise, you should accept the risks, and once you find out that you can't make it to your connection, enjoy your evening in Tokyo.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/7/31 14:15
Your flight connection is too tight.
In order to arrive to HND International Terminal before 23:30, you should start from NRT Terminal 1 or 2 before 22:00.
You cannot make it if your NRT flight or immigration procedure happens to be delayed much.

I highly recommend you find a better flight connection.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/7/31 22:57
Thanks for your replies. I'll investigate a possible flight change.

If I had to try, what do you think would be the best way to do it? Google Maps recommends Tokyo Monorail from Hamamatsucho Station.
by Antonio (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/7/31 23:30
Since you take an international flight out of Haneda, your flight arriving at Narita will be domestic, right? Then you might have a chance, leaving Narita around 21:45 will let you arrive comfortably at Haneda at 23:09 (Narita Express to Shinagawa, then Keikyu to Haneda).
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/7/31 23:39
Also, leaving Narita around 21:50, you can be at Haneda at 23:16, taking the Keisei Skyliner to Nippori, then a JR line to Hamamatsucho, then the Monorail to Haneda. That's really your last option, unless arriving at Haneda at 23:29 is acceptable (i.e., the 1-hour deadline for check-in is not strict).

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/7/31 23:42
Excuse me. Google Maps? Hamamatsucho? Are you sure you know what you're doing?

Narita may be called "Tokyo" Narita Airport, but it's not even Tokyo. It's in another prefecture (which is like another state, or if it were in EU, another country) and is quite in the middle of nowhere. Just to get you to Hamamatsucho during the day already takes more than an hour.

The easiest way to get from Narita Apt. to Haneda Apt. is by the direct Limousine Bus, but the last bus departs at 21:25 (or 21:35 depending on the wing) and arrives Haneda at 22:55.

If you don't mind transfers, you can try boarding the Narita Express train departing 21:48, arriving Shinagawa station at 22:53, change to the Keikyu train departing 23:02 which gets you to Haneda International at 11:16.

But I hope you've flown to cities recently and are aware that you need time to pick up your luggage at Narita, go through immigration and customs, go to the very end of the huge international airport to buy train tickets and board the train, drag your luggagea at Shinagawa, find the Keikyu area, buy another ticket (hoping you do this properly without much help) and make sure you don't get on the wrong train or get off at wrong stations.

Also, I hope you are certain that they let you in as late as 23:30, because a lot of airports around the world won't even try to let you through security (another hassle since 9.11) if you're that close to boarding time. And let's keep in mind that boarding time starts at 0:00 in your case.

Again, if it so happens that your flight to Narita arrives very early, you can take your chances hitch-hiker style, but the worst and most annoying thing in airports are people trying to rush for flights in vain (and I've just come home from traveling with someone who does that).

Anyway, good luck to you, whether it's about finding connecting flights or finding connecting trains.

By the way, why the rush? Can't you just stay overnight or fly direct?
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/7/31 23:57
It would indeed be helpful to have more details about OP's situation... The most plausible case to me seems that he's traveling from somewhere in Japan to somewhere overseas, so that the flight to Narita is domestic. This means that

1) No time wasted in immigration at Narita.
2) OP can have his luggage delivered to Haneda by takkyubin (the pickup counter at Haneda is open 24 hours), so no time wasted waiting for luggage either, and dragging it into trains.
3) OP knows how to but a train ticket (for the N'EX or Skyliner) and ideally has a Suica (or equivalent) for the other trips.

If it's actually a purely international trip with a layover in Tokyo, tell the airline that they gave you an impossible connection, also remeber that in case the inbound flight is delayed, the airline has to rebook you on a flight the next day and pay for your incurred expenses (hotel room and meals).

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/8/1 00:04
The flight is a purely international connection, but I will not be checking any luggage.

I spoke with ANA who assured me the connection would be possible, even easy, though based on your responses that appears not to be the case.

I have spent time in Tokyo, and I am somewhat familiar with the trains.

I am traveling in a group of four, so that likely makes hitch hiking impossible.

I appreciate the suggestions and replies. I will call te airline and update this thread accordingly.

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/8/1 00:35
I spoke with ANA who assured me the connection would be possible, even easy

Then ANA should have some ideas about how you can get from Narita to Haneda. You should definately talk to them and post again. (I am curious!)

But if ANA says so, one thing for sure is that if you happen to miss your connection, they will book an alternative flight for free.

The thing is that nowadays (as you may probably know) flights delay so much that it's so common to miss your connections.

I am traveling in a group of four, so that likely makes hitch hiking impossible.

Sorry for being misleading. I didn't mean it literally, but I just meant that you should travel in an "anything goes" mentality, just as a hitch-hiker would.

But speaking of groups, it would be even more difficult to have four people move around as one in such a short time, I'd assume (and all four won't be checkin in luggage, you say? Not even razors and scissors?).

Anyway, I'll stay tuned for your feedback!

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/8/1 01:52
JR-East and Keisei have stations in each of the two NRT terminals, on its basement.
You can visit JR Ticket Office beside the JR gate or Keisei ticket counter beside the Keisei gate.

Uco: Then ANA should have some ideas about how you can get from Narita to Haneda.

All Nippon Airways [ANA] was originally a helicopter transportation company. If your first flight happens to be delayed much, ANA might charter one.... (Of course itfs a joke.)
I am curious about the solution, too. I welcome your feedback.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/8/1 04:28
Looks like I will be taking a 20000-30000JPY cab ride.

I called ANA, who essentially admitted there was not enough time to make the transfer. However, they said there was nothing they could do because they did not advertise the ticket as I purchased it. I purchased the ticket through Priceline.

I called Priceline, who said their information (provided by ANA) was that it was sufficient time to make the transfer. Priceline said ANA gave Priceline the flight details, and that Priceline merely sold the flight as scheduled by ANA. Priceline "guaranteed" there would be enough time to make the transfer (because ANA sold the flight like that).

In the end, it doesn't seem like there is any great solution. I guess I will have to risk the transfer spend money on the taxi and wish for the best.

Thank you all for your input!

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/8/1 05:33
That's a ridiculously expensive cab ride! How much does Priceline charge to change a flight?
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/8/1 05:36
ANA quoted me $300 plus the difference in fare to change the flight (per person) !!!!

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/8/1 11:09
Excuse me. Google Maps? Hamamatsucho? Are you sure you know what you're doing?

Hmm, not really sure what the issue is here. Google maps seems to be giving a pretty typical, and the fastest even, route between Narita and Haneda.

That route, while possible, requires taking the 21:49 Skyliner (or 21:44 if you use the NEX) which doesn't leave any room for error. I'd only consider it if your flight lands early.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/8/1 11:19
I purchased the ticket through Priceline.

That explains it. Impossible connections and poor customer service after the fact are some of the main complaints when buying through sites like priceline. Unfortunately there's no good solution now, but you live and learn.

I guess I will have to risk the transfer spend money on the taxi and wish for the best.

Fixed fare taxi should cost 22,500 yen (via expressway) according to the Narita Airport website. Make sure to tell the driver to take the expressway. At night it should take roughly 100 minutes, so if you catch a cab around 22:00 you should be ok (barring traffic).

And a taxi for four people only comes out to 10,000 more than the regular modes of transport. Sounds like money well spent if it means you make your flight.

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/8/1 16:15
I suppose I was looking at July train schedules (which was a quick way to estimate when not knowing the actual date), but still, going via Hamamatsucho is close to impossible.

Back to the topic, you probably ended up in the same situation even if you had booked directly to ANA. Like you said, it's a flight itinerary that ANA approves, and Priceline is a mere agent. That's how it works. They give you outrageous connections and outrageous delays these days, wherever you book.

You can try contacting customer service of both ANA and Priceline again and again to get your flight changed free of charge. They won't be risking much by changing flights, unless your departure date is extremely close. On the contrary, they need to expect harsh complaints if you can't make it to that connection.

Meanwhile, according to Taxisite, a ride from Narita to Haneda, with late-hours fare added, is approximately 29,710 - 29,890 yen using the Expressway, and takes roughly 60 minutes.
http://www.taxisite.com/far/anytoanyret.aspx?night=1&hway=1

On the bright side, 7,472 yen per person is not a bad deal, keeping in mind that if you use other transportation means it will cost you half the price anyway and takes you more time and energy. Let's just hope that the scenery from your window and the chat with the driver is worth that price.

Needless to say, when you get to Narita, be sure you head for Haneda anyway one way or another, because that's where everything is convinient, and you don't want to miss any alternative flights (unless they decide to book you a flight leaving from Narita) .

I truly wish you good luck, whether it's for a complaint or time or driver. And take it easy. Like they say, "Better late than never"!

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/8/1 17:30
Back to the topic, you probably ended up in the same situation even if you had booked directly to ANA.

Indeed, contrary to what ANA says, they do sell those flights on their own website as well (search New York to Jakarta on Oct 18).

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/8/1 18:02
I suppose I was looking at July train schedules (which was a quick way to estimate when not knowing the actual date), but still, going via Hamamatsucho is close to impossible.

I wouldn't say impossible, I've regularly made similar connections at Narita, but everything would have to go in your favor for it to work out. Best to have a backup plan (taxi) just in case. Even then you really only have about 30 minutes of leeway to work, but that should be enough.

Meanwhile, according to Taxisite, a ride from Narita to Haneda, with late-hours fare added, is approximately 29,710 - 29,890 yen using the Expressway, and takes roughly 60 minutes.
http://www.taxisite.com/far/anytoanyret.aspx?night=1&hway=1

Just a question, do late night fares apply to the fixed fare rates? Oh and sorry, but my earlier time estimate was based on midday traffic. It's about 80km and freeway all the way for an hour or so should be just about right barring traffic.

Back to the topic, you probably ended up in the same situation even if you had booked directly to ANA. Like you said, it's a flight itinerary that ANA approves, and Priceline is a mere agent. That's how it works. They give you outrageous connections and outrageous delays these days, wherever you book.

I disagree. One of the main issues here (and a major complaint about Priceline in particular) is that they offer no recourse if something goes wrong, even if it is their mistake. If you had booked directly through ANA or via a regular travel agent, they would solve the problem and take care of you if, like in this case, you miss a connection that is clearly their fault. This is the issue with buying from resellers in general (and not just for airline tickets), the product may be the same, but the aftersale service is not (if it even exists at all). That's not saying it's bad to buy from priceline or other resellers, just be aware of what you're gaining and losing in the process.

You can try contacting customer service of both ANA and Priceline again and again to get your flight changed free of charge. They won't be risking much by changing flights, unless your departure date is extremely close. On the contrary, they need to expect harsh complaints if you can't make it to that connection.

Good idea, and let me add that I think you'll have the best luck going to ANA and trying to get them to help you out. They are more customer facing and offer better support than priceline can. Good luck!

Re: Arrive Narita 2100 Depart 0030 Haneda? 2014/8/1 18:52
do late night fares apply to the fixed fare rates?

Actually, I must confess that I didn't understand what you meant by "fixed fare rates". Either way, it never occured to me that a taxi could wave late night fares (shinya-waribiki).

Also, while the website I looked into says 60 min., I must say that internet traffic estimations are usually very optimistic. After 11pm, there often is the last traffic jam on Expressways, and I hope you won't get caught into that or any sort of jams due to other car accidents (which happen very often, since there are very few lanes on Japanese roads).

By the way, my opinion (from being in the industry a long time ago) is that companies are helpful in the order of...

1 major travel agencies
2 Japanese airlines
3 non-Japanese airlines
4 low-budget internet travel agencies

Airlines have the tradition of being extremely practical, at least for economy-seaters, and they're only getting worse. One can't travel without airplanes, so they have little to be afraid of, plus the airline industry being on the downhill doesn't help. Japanese airlines are just as same, except that they can often be a bit more generous due to the competition. Major agencies have the tradition of using their own money to compensate when the airline won't pay them anything (which is one reason there are a few left). Low-budget web agencies can't risk that. If the airlines aren't compensating, they can't do that on their behalf.

I recently traveled on UA which I booked through their official website, because their price and itinerary was no different from that of Expedia. Due to UA's delay, we couldn't make it to their connection flight. UA did book an alternative flight, but they did no more. (But let me note that I'm waiting for their reply to my complaint asking for more.)

The only reason I bought from UA directly rather than Expedia was because I thought it would be easier to be able to talk to them directly without an agent in between, especially when complaints occur.

I'm just trying to provide a background to my opinions just so that the OP would have options to refer to.

Anyway, I think we all agree that the OP should talk to customer services and that a taxi worth about 30000 yen is a good protection.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 27

1 2
next

reply to this thread