Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

sweepstake/contests in Japan 2014/8/1 17:57
Are there sweepstake/contests in Japan? Like for example to win a trip? Such as online sweepstakes that we can enter? Because since I am a resident in Japan I cannot enter sweepstake contests in the U.S. or certain other countries who also limit other countries from entering, since they only allow people who live in the country it is held to enter. What would the Japanese word/phrase be for a sweepstake/contest to win trips/vacations?
by ... (guest)  

Re: sweepstake/contests in Japan 2014/8/1 18:57
Your question is whether there is a contest for a trip to Japan in Japan or outside?
There are occasional contests in other countries held by certain companies for promotional reasons. They are normally sponsored. A trip to Japan is kind of rare, unless it is highly relative to the work of that company or the event they are holding. Of course, normally only legal citizens can enter.

Or are you wondering if there are contests inside Japan to win a travel aboard?

by Minerva (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: sweepstake/contests in Japan 2014/8/1 18:59
^ * relevant

Re: sweepstake/contests in Japan 2014/8/1 19:16
Ah! I read your question wrong. Don't mind my reply, then. Sorry about that! Its passed my bedtime.
Have you tried something like " 旅行コンテスト " ?

Like this for example :
http://www.oneworld.com/japan/campaign/contest/

Re: sweepstake/contests in Japan 2014/8/1 21:40
I think the OP is looking for any and all sweepstakes and contests open to residents of Japan that award a trip as a prize. I'm not sure how prevalent they are in Japan. In America, those sweepstakes are, indeed, only open to residents of the USA.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: sweepstake/contests in Japan 2014/8/1 23:16
As far as I know the word contest is コンテスト , which can be for any type of contest. A contest for a trip is 旅行コンテスト and 海外旅行コンテスト is for a vacation overseas. However, my Japanese can not be trusted.

Re: sweepstake/contests in Japan 2014/8/2 14:06
コンテスト is where you enter with your submission (of art, music, whatsoever) for judges to votes on.
The word you are looking for is 懸賞 ("kensho") for sweepstakes. Try 懸賞サイト (sweepstakes websites), and you will get a listing of those, though you would need to be able to read Japanese.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: sweepstake/contests in Japan 2014/8/3 21:20
Minerva- thank you for the oneworld link, and yeah I meant for residents who live in Japan and its ok if you misread it at first. I will try out the words you suggested.

AK-thank you for the helpful information about the word 懸賞 kensho, I can usually read and figure out Japanese forms and fill them out (have filled out various forms many times in Japanese), so it being in Japanese is not a problem, so thank you :)
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread