Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/5 11:36
JR Tohoku bus accordingly will stop operations between Aomori/Towadako in early november. What about other bus companies that will operate in winter Need to know the bus time-table in order to plan well.
I intend to travel from Aomori to Towadako on Dec 26th and than from Towadaoko back to Aomori on 28th Dec
by cheng yam (guest)  

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/5 13:37
I used to like in Aomori Prefecture and drove to Towadako many times, except in winter. There is a lot of snow there are the roads close due to accumulation. Unless I'm wrong, it is highly unlikely too many buses will be heading up the gorge. The snow markers are over 10 feet tall. Remember, that area averages about 15 feet of snow a year....
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/5 13:38
Live, not like....
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/5 14:48
Thanks John for the respond.
Would you have any contacts of bus companies that still have services to Towadako in winter? I have paid for 2 nights accomodation at a hotel there, how else you would advise that we travel there, other alternatives? Any idea if there is any bus service from Towada city to Towadako?
by cheng yam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/5 15:17
JR Tohoku bus accordingly will stop operations between Aomori/Towadako in early november.

JR Tohoku Buses still run after November. They just haven't published the new schedule yet. In all likelihood it will be the same as last year, which means there will be only one connection per day from Aomori to Towadako departing Aomori Station at 11:25 and arriving in Yasumiya at 15:47. There is one bus in the opposite direction departing at 18:14.

There are better connections traveling via Hachinohe, so I'd consider going that route instead.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/5 17:54
Thanks. I`ll be going to Towadako from Hakodate, so the better option is via Aomori . However going back to Tokyo from Towadako can be via Hachinohe. Would you have last year`s options of time of busdeparture Towadako/ Hachinohe?

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/5 18:08
Looking at the timetables, it's probably faster to take the train all the way from Hakodate to Hachinohe and catch the faster buses (12:30 departure, 14:45 arrival) from there. The bus from Aomori has an inexplicable one hour delay along the way which mean you'll arrive an hour after than the later Hachinohe departure.

Buses from Towada for Hachinohe depart at 9:10 and 16:00 and take about 2:15 to get there.

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/5 18:51
Thanks for the fast respond.
As for Hachinohe, where are we to board the bus for Towadako and name of the bus Co.
Is the bus from Hachinohe a direct one to the last bus stop wherein our hotel booked Towadaso is just a short walk away?

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/5 22:54
Like yllwsmrf said, most probably the winter bus schedule hasn't been out yet but JR bus service still operates the Towada-ko route in winter. Keep checking their website for update information when the time comes to travel.

When we went in Feb a few years back there were 2 daily buses each from Aomori and Hachinohe. Bus from Aomori departed at 10.00 and 13.30 (returning bus departed Towada-ko at 8.30 and 14.00). Journey time was 4 hrs and bus fare was 3000 yen. Bus from Hachinohe departed at 10.15 and 13.30 (returning bus departed Towada-ko at 9.00 and 14.30). Journey time was 2.5 hrs and bus fare was 2600 yen.

Both buses are run by JR and the ride is free if you hold a nation-wide JR rail pass but not the JR East rail pass. Advanced seat reservation is required although when we took the Hachinohe-Towada and Towada-Aomori bus there were less than 10 passengers onboard. The bus station in Hachinohe is outside JR station west exit on the right.

Both buses are direct. Going to Towada-ko sit on the right-hand side of the bus for view of Oirase Stream. The bus will make photo stops along the trail but you can't get off. Although the bus journey to and from Aomori takes longer winter scenery enroute is worth the time as it passes through scenic Mt Hakkoda. The bus will even make a brief stop in the famous Sukayu Onsen, not enough time to take a dip but nevertheless a chance to get a feel of the place or buy a souvenir there.

In Towada-ko we too stayed at Towadakohan Onsen Hotel Towadaso. Although we did not request, their free shuttle was waiting for us when we arrived in Towada-ko bus station. Although the hotel is not far away it will save a bit of walking on snow, especially if you have luggage to tag along.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/6 10:17
Thanks William5 for the detail info.
I have previously enquired info from another hotel in Towadako and was informed that only a few hotels there are open in winter but all bus stop operations. The only way to get to Towadako is by cab/taxis which I don`t think so I can afford. Hope the info from the hotel in Towadako is not correct.
by chengyam (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/6 12:05
I suppose they mean local bus services are suspended? The JR buses continued to operate with one or two departures per day in the past, so those will likely be available during your stay. If not the best option will be to get a rental car.

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/6 13:05
Thanks yllwsmrf
I guess we have to regularly check the JR Tohoku bus time-table for their Dec schedule. The other option of getting a car rental is not possible as we are from Malaysia and have never driven under icy/snowy condition !!! (Snow almost everyday in late December there!!!)

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/6 13:37
On the following pdf file of JR Tohoku bus take a look at the "Bathroom break" section on the top page, there is a mention of the Aomori-Towadako bus during early Nov to end of Mar.
http://www.jrbustohoku.co.jp/pdf_data/towadakomap20130301.pdf

For confirmation, perhaps you can try seeking advice through the following email addresses.
Aomori Tourism and Convention Association (perfect English is used):
info@atca.info

Hachinohe Tourism and Convention Association:
info@hachinohe-cb.jp

JR (perfect English is used):
info@japanrail.com

It is wise not to embark on a self-drive road trip in Dec. We have some winter driving experience and yet would never do that under un-familiar road conditions in a foreign country during winter months. When we were in Towada-ko during Feb we saw lots of cars half-buried in snow. Ever with the much higher and heavier chassis of a bus, at some point it still slightly slipped on black ice.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/8/6 16:50
Thanks alot to Willam5, yllwsmrf and John for providing valuable info for my Dec trip to Towadako. Looking forward to visit Towadako

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/9/5 12:07
Hi sorry, pls allow me to tap on this thread too as i am going to Towadako too but it on the 11 dec instead. As discuss on this thread, in dec the jr bus that move from aomori or Hachinohe to Towadako is a direct route with only brief stop in the famous Sukayu Onsen?
as i google this link: http://www.jrbustohoku.co.jp/route/detail/?PID=9&RID=14&BID=330
i was planning to aligh at Ishigedo and walk to towadako by feet. so this in not workable in dec? thks
by buzzmario rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/9/5 22:28
Hi, just to share. I have written to
Aomori City Tourist Information (at Aomori Station) aoinfo@jomon.ne.jp today and they have replied that JR buses (Aomori Oirase, Lake Towada and Hachinohe Oirase)
are suspended in the winter season from this year.
Suspension period
From Monday, November 10, 2014 to the middle of April, 2015.
Hope this information is useful to those who is planning for Lake Towada during dec.
by buzzmario rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/9/6 10:02
Extremely useful. Thank you very much!
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/10/26 01:51
Since JR bus Co has suspended Aomori to Towadako service in winter, any news that the bus will operate Hachinohe/Towadako sector in winter?
I have booked accomodation in Towadako, how can I get there ?

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/10/26 08:54
The Hachinohe-Towada bus will not operate, either. I think your only option is a taxi or rental car. Or maybe your ryokan offers some kind of pick-up service?

If going by taxi, the closest stations is Towadaminami, about 30 kilometers from Yasumiya.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Direct Bus service from Aomori to Towadako 2014/10/26 12:21

I have booked accommodation in Towadako, how can I get there ?

Try contact the hotel, they may have some contingency plan for their clients.
by lostintranslation (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread