Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traject covered fees by JR Pass 2014/8/6 02:40
Hi,
I am wondering if there is a way to find clearly what is covered or not by the JR Pass during a given traject. For exemple, i got the traject, using HyperDia, from the aeroport to my hotel (business hotel Ban in tokyo) but i dont know if I will have to pay extrat fees. or if there is a prefered traject for JR PASS users.
Thank you very much in advance.
Imane
by Imane Karaouani (guest)  

Re: Traject covered fees by JR Pass 2014/8/6 11:05
If you're using Hyperdia, under Search Details untick Nozomi/etc. and Private Railway. This will give you JR Pass specific trains. With a JR Pass, you can make seat reservations for free, so you don't have to pay the reserved seat fee if you do make a reservation. Note that not all routes may be JR trains only; if Hyperdia gives you a blank response with these search conditions there will be extra fees. If you do get a blank response, retick Private Railway - this will give you the other rail company that you need to take for your route. Then in the trip details, any trains not listed as JR will be the ones you need to pay for.
by sq (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traject covered fees by JR Pass 2014/8/6 11:32
The color of the icons are the clue. Green train color, all JR trains-covered. Pink train color, non-JR trains-not covered. All Shinkansen are covered minus Nozomi and Mizuho services.

There are some (very few) instances where JR trains will run on non-JR tracks and you'll have to pay a surcharge for that portion of the trip, but those are rare. I have yet to encounter any of those.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Traject covered fees by JR Pass 2014/8/6 22:20
Thank you very much for the helpful answer!
by Imane (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Traject covered fees by JR Pass 2014/8/7 01:12
And to top up on Bob's great answer, I'm pretty sure that the JR Pass website (or quite possibly the JR Pass pages on this very forum) will tell you the few exceptions where JR trains run on non-JR tracks.

(I travelled on one such section last year, from Kanazawa to Echigo-Yuzawa. All that happens is that you pay the surcharge when you make your ticket reservation. I can't remember the extra fee, but basically it wasn't a huge amount and, as Bob says, these instances are few and far between.)
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: Traject covered fees by JR Pass 2014/8/7 03:06
I guess I am Bob... thank you! You should untick Nozomi, since the Hayabusa is listed there. Just leave it clicked and remember that Nozomi and Mizuho are off-limits. You can untick them if the routes are Tokaido line and you want to know which Hikaris run at that time. Other than that, I wouldn't untick Nozomi.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

reply to this thread