Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary: Tokyo & Kyoto in 10 days 2014/8/6 03:53
Hi,

It will be my first time going to Japan in October and I will be in Tokyo and Kyoto for about 10 days. Right now, this is my draft itinerary:

Day 1: Arrive in Haneda at 3pm. - Visit the Meiji Shrine

Day 2: Western Tokyo (Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku)

Day 3: Central Toyko (Akihabara, Ueno, Tuskiji Fish Market)

Day 4: Northern Tokyo (Asakusa, Imperial Palace) +Southern Tokyo (Odaiba)

Day 5: Kusatsu for Onsen?? or Nikko or Takayama or Kamakura or Hakone (still not sure which one of these places to visit)

Day 6: Leave early am for Kyoto - Go to Kibune and Kurama

Day 7: Arashiyama - bamboo groove, Tenryuji temple, Togetsukyo bridge, Saga-toriimoto

Day 8: Eastern Kyoto - Higashiyama, Nijo castle, Philosopher's path, Ginkakuji temple, Gion, Imperial Palace, Nishiki market, Fushimi Inari (evening)

Day 9: Nara or Hiroshima or Osaka or Kobe....(still not sure which one of these places to visit)

Day 10: Leave at 12.30 from Kix, Osaka to Seoul

Day 11-15 : Seoul, Korea

I can still work with my days because I will be doing 5 days in Seoul before flying back home, so if I need more days in Japan, I could reduce the number of days I will be spending in Seoul. I haven't bought my plane tickets from Osaka to Seoul yet.

So, my question here are:

1) Would it be worth it to take the 7 days JR Pass or just buying tickets for each trip?? I've been checking on Hyperdia but still not sure what to do...

2) Do you think my itinerary is too packed and that I would rush....am open to any recommendation or change in my itinerary!!!

3) Also, do you have any recommendation for onsen and ryokan in tokyo and kyoto.

4) I haven't booked any accommodations yet, do you guys have any good recommendation for lodging around Tokyo and Kyoto, I rather save on lodging and spend more on visiting, shopping and FOOD

I did a lot of research and have some ideas but would like feedbacks.

I know my questions are pretty long, but I would like to plan my itinerary well and maximize the most I can do. :)

Thanks so much in advance.

by Vince (guest)  

Re: Itinerary: Tokyo & Kyoto in 10 days 2014/8/6 12:27
1)
No need for JR Pass

2)
Tokyo Days
Good job there
Just note that you can walk from Meiji Shrine to Harajuku. And since Shinjuku is alive at night, you might want to do it at night
Day 5 Onsen at Kusatsu is a good idea
Day 6
You can leave Kibune/Kurama early. It takes about 2-3 hours to see both places + climb the mountain.
Put in Kamo Shrine @ Demachiyangai or walk about Gion at night.
Or both
Day 7
After your itinerary
Take train to Kyoto Station Mall. Dinner at 10F or 11F
See the night lights of Tokyo Station and Tokyo Tower
Day 8
Good job here
If you have time on other days, see Fushimi Inari then
Since this is pretty packed
Day 9
Uji for tea and relaxation or Osaka for city life and lots of food

3)
In Tokyo, Odaiba monogatari. But note that Tokyo and Kyoto aren't famous for onsen.
Kyoto has kurama onsen, but it is to my opinion disappointing.

4)
First Cabin is cheap but business like
Hostels include piece hostel, JHoppers
Budget hotel Tokyo would be the sakura chain
Or the Ikebukuro: Tokyo Int Yth Hostel
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary: Tokyo & Kyoto in 10 days 2014/8/6 17:34
Just to qualify what Joshua said...

It's probably not worth getting the JRP UNLESS you plan to visit Hiroshima from Kyoto and then return. Tokyo - Kyoto - Hiroshima - Kyoto within a 7 day period will be more expensive if you buy individual tickets.

However, as a day trip from Kyoto, it's do-able but you'll have to rush around and if you plan to visit Miyajima as well, plan to set off very early and return late.

IMO Kobe is not worth visiting when you have such little time and there are other options.

Incidentally, your day in Eastern Kyoto, if it were me, I'd leave Fushimi Inari out of that day as it's already really packed, and visit Nara as my day trip, then return to Kyoto via Fushimi. That route works well and will give you more time to enjoy the two days' sightseeing at a more leisurely pace.

Incidentally, what Joshua called Odaiba Monogatari is actually Oedo Onsen Monogatari (in Odaiba) and is a sort of old style onsen theme park.. it's rather fun!
by Saru Bob (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary: Tokyo & Kyoto in 10 days 2014/8/6 18:54
1) Unless going to Hiroshima, is not worth the JR Pass

2) Swap a few things on days 3 & 4 for a better geographic match. Akihabara + Ueno + Asakusa on one day and Tsukiji + Imperial Palace + Odaiba on the other.
For onsen, if you are happy with just a few hours experience then Oedo Onsen Monogatari in Odaiba is really fun and a good place to go in the evening after a long day of sightseeing. You can probably fit Fushimi Inari on Day 7, as Day 8 is very busy.
Day 9 depends on your tastes; Osaka is really vibrant and full of nightlife; you can even do Nara in the first half of the day and Osaka (Specially Dotonbori and Shinsaibashi) in the later part of that day. Hiroshima is also great. Kobe is maybe the less atractive of your options.

4) For cheap lodging any business hotel chain like Toyoko Inn will do :) If you want to go even cheaper you can rely on capsule hotels or a bed in a dorm in a place like Sakura Hostel.
by aerond (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary: Tokyo & Kyoto in 10 days 2014/8/6 23:46
Thank you guys so much so your feedback, it helps a lot. I will work and move some stuff in my itinerary according to your recommendation.

1) So, for Day 5, I was debating between Kusatsu for onsen or Nikko now, what would you guys recommend? Is it worth spending a day for onsen only...or I could do it elsewhere and spend only a couple of hours??

2)For Day 9, am debating between Nara and Osaka given that Hiroshima might be a bit too far and would be a bit too rush...What would you guys recommend me to do? In the time being, I had reserved a room in Nara but can still cancel it, its called "Super Hotel Lohas", heard good reviews about it and that its close to a lot of stuffs, would you guys recommend that hotel?

3) So, if I adjust my itinerary not going to Hiroshima, so it would be best not to buy the JR Pass right?? From my schedule, is there any other passes I should get like for Tokyo or Kyoto that would be worth it, instead of paying as you go???

4)On Day 5, for my last day in Tokyo for Kyoto, would you guys recommend leaving at night or leave early morning on Day 6?? The Shinkansen Nokomi train would be the fastest, convenient and cheapest way right? I was checking on Hyperdia

Thanks again, I appreciate your feedback.
by Vince87 rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary: Tokyo & Kyoto in 10 days 2014/8/7 00:00
1) Depends on how bad you want a full onsen experience. Nikko is great but if you don't have that much interest in history you may go to Kusatsu Onsen instead. As I said in my previous message and other users you can include Oedo Onsen Monogatari in Odaiba for a shorter onsen experience without leaving Tokyo.

2) Depends again of your interests. If I was you I'd spend the morning in Nara and the afternoon and evening in Osaka. So you can get a glimpse of both. They are close enough to travel in the same day, just a regular commuter train away from each other so both are doable if in Nara you stick to the central attractions :) In that case I'd book a hotel in Osaka close to Shinsaibashi or Namba.

3) Right, the JR Pass wouldn't make any sense. Just use pay as you go except for Day 8 where a Day Bus Pass would make sense.

4) You can perfectly leave early morning. The Nozomi would be the fastest and more convenient although is obviously more expensive than regular trains or buses.
by Aerond (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary: Tokyo & Kyoto in 10 days 2014/8/8 00:15
Thanks so much.

So I modified my itinerary as per all the recommendations, here is what it looks like now:

Day 1: Arrive in Haneda at 3pm. - Visit the Meiji Shrine

Day 2: Western Tokyo (Shibuya, Harajuku, Shinjuku - at night)

Day 3: Central Toyko (Akihabara, Ueno,Asakusa)

Day 4: Northern Tokyo (Tuskiji Fish Market, Imperial Palace) + Southern Tokyo (Odaiba - Oedo Onsen Monogatari - in the evening)

Day 5: Nikko

Day 6: Leave early am for Kyoto - Go to Kibune and Kurama + Kamo Shrine @ Demachiyangai

Day 7: Arashiyama - bamboo groove, Tenryuji temple, Togetsukyo bridge, Saga-toriimoto, Fushimi Inari (evening)+ Take train to Kyoto Station Mall. Dinner at 10F or 11F
See the night lights of Kyoto Station and Kyoto Tower

Day 8: Eastern Kyoto - Nishiki market, Higashiyama, Nijo castle, Philosopher's path, Ginkakuji temple, Gion, Imperial Palace)

Day 9: Nara(morning)+ Osaka(afternoon)-Dotonbori and Shinsaibashi

Day 10: Leave at 12.30 from Kix, Osaka to Seoul

Still need a few advice:
1)For Day 1: would you recommend me to do the Meiji Shrine or do something else, given that I might be a little tired from the 16 hrs flight??

2)Are the order am visiting the places makes sense to you guys...

3) Regarding Day 8, when you (Aerond) mentionned a day pass, what's the name of the pass?

4) As for Nara and Nikko , any major places I should absolutely visit???

5) Do you guys recommend to book all the lodging in advance or I could do it while being there?

Thanks again. :)
by Vince87 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread