Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Going around Kyoto for a family of four 2014/8/6 11:34
We'll be in Kyoto from January 1 to 3, 2015. Our itinerary would be:
Day 1
- Ryoanji
- Kinkakuji
- Ginkakuji
- Sanjusangendo
- Kiyomizudera
- Gion
Day 2
- Fushimi Inari

Would like to know which is best mode of transport in terms of comfort and cost in going to these places. We are a family of four (2 children aged 8 and 4).

Appreciate your response.

Thanks

ADD74
by add74 (guest)  

Re: Going around Kyoto for a family of four 2014/8/6 12:13
I prefer taking the train as it is faster. but for certain locations, bus stops are the near and trains are far.

If I were you, I would take the bus to golden pavilion, then walk to ryoanji, then train to Arashiyama. Take the train to Gion. Dinner there. Take train to Fushimi Inari Station.

Second day explore Higashiyama: Kiyomizudera, Yasaka, Nanzenji, Chionin, Silver Pavillion

Do sanjusangedo with Kyoto Station mall
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Going around Kyoto for a family of four 2014/8/6 12:20
The first day is going to be big. With 4 of you, and trying to keep young kids happy, I'd take taxis. Usually you don't pay more than 2000JPY for any trip, most of the time 1000JPY and you'd walk from Kiyomizudera to Gion.

Train to Fushimi Inari, though.

by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Going around Kyoto for a family of four 2014/8/7 12:02
Thanks Joshua and Lazy Pious. Would most probably take the taxi except that going to Fushimi Inari.

As a follow-up, would the itinerary below be better.

Jan 2 (whole day)
Ryoanji
Kinkakiju
Ginkakiju
Kiyomizudera
Gion

Jan 3 (USJ)

Jan 4 (am only as need to go back to Tokyo in the pm)
Sanjusangendo
Fushimi Inari

Thanks again
by ADD74 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Going around Kyoto for a family of four 2014/8/7 13:18
That would be better. Some people love sanjusangendo (sp?) but when I went it was full of people and it was hard to appreciate it. The grounds are ordinary, too. So I'd knock it over first thing in the morning before lots of people get there. Then on to the JR station and on the train to Fushimi Inari. If you have some time after Fushimi Inari, pop down to Uji which is a really lovely town, with the best green tea ice cream ever (worth eating even when it is freezing). I think it is on the same line.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread