Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Public transport for kyoto 2014/8/7 19:11
Dear Madam/Sir,

We (2 persons) are planning a (individuLtrip to Japan in November this year. Our itinerary is as follows:

Dag 1 (arrival): Airport Kansai - Kyoto (Ginkakuji & Philosopherfs Path)
Dag 2: Kyoto (Nishiki Market, Nijo Castle, Kyoto Imperial Palace en Gion)
Dag 3: Nara & Kyoto (Fushimi Inari Shrine)
Dag 4: Romantic train & river cruise Arashiyama
Dag 5: Hiroshima
Dag 6: Myajami
Dag 7 Ohara
Dag 8: Kurama & Kyoto (Kinkakuji)
Dag 9 (departure): Kyoto – Airport Kansai

To travel travel in the most convenient way we are considering to buy:
Japan rail pass for the first 7 days
JR Kansai Area Pass for 1 day to travel the last day to the airport
2x 3day ticket Kansai thru pas (one for day 1, 2, 3 & and one for 4, 7 & 8)

Or is possible to buy:

Jr Kansai Area pass for the first day and another for the last day
2x 3day ticket Kansai thru pas (one for day 1, 2, 3 & and one for 4, 7 & 8)
individual tickets Kyoto – Hiroshima – Kyoto for day 5 & 6

I do not know if it is allowed to purchase similar passes per person. I hope you can help me in this matter.
Thanks in advance for your cooperation.
by Caar (guest)  

Re: Public transport for kyoto 2014/8/7 21:10
I think you may want to consider Sanyo area pass.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/pass/sanyo/

November in Kyoto and kansai area is very crowded for tourists because of the autumn foliage. Especially 21st to 24th is very busy, so that you should encounter difficulty in finding accommodation in Kyoto. Have you booked the hotel during your stay in Japan? Could you clarify your exact itinerary including arrival/departure time? The information is extremely valid for us to help you.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Public transport for kyoto 2014/8/8 14:48
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated!
Arrival on 14 nov. 8.45 hrs; 21 nov. 10.50 hrs.
I have booked accommodation yet. 7 nights in kyoto and 1 on the island myajami.
by Caar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Public transport for kyoto 2014/8/8 16:18
Quick questions.

I have booked accommodation yet.

Have you already booked the hotel, or not yet?

If you have already booked, where is your hotel in Kyoto, and what is the exact date? That is, what is your date of stay in Kyoto and Miyajima, respectively?

Re: Public transport for kyoto 2014/8/22 22:02
Sorry for my late response.
From 14 untill 17 nov we will stay in a hotel in Kyoto near Karasuma-Oike station. On 18 november in Miyajima, from 19 untill 21 nov the same hotel in Kyoto near Karasuma-Oike station.
by caar (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Public transport for kyoto 2014/8/22 23:20
So you have already booked the Hotels in Kyoto and Miyajima, which means you do not need to use JR trains extensively except for Kyoto-Miyajima-Kyoto transportation and KIX-Kyoto-KIX transportation.

In this case, JR Pass nationwide and JR Sanyo Pass are not valuable. Both passes do not cover your whole itinerary (9 days).

I think your best bet should be Icoca & Haruka round trip type (valid for 2 weeks)

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/travel-information/pass/icoca-haruk...

and normal ticket for round trip from Kyoto to Miyajimaguchi.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=KYOTO&arv_node=...

One way fare is 6800 yen and seat fee (mandatory) is 4730 yen. Therefore, the round trip sum is 23060 yen. You can use Nozomi train from Kyoto to Hiroshima (JR Pass do not allow Nozomi and Sanyo pass do not allow shinkansen from Kyoto to Shin-Osaka).

Your Icoca card (1500 yen) can be used in Kyoto subway and JR trains around Kyoto, such as Kyoto to Saga-arashiyama etc.

Enjoy your trip!

Re: Public transport for kyoto 2014/8/22 23:32
In this case, JR Pass nationwide and JR Sanyo Pass are not valuable.

The 4-day Sanyo Pass pays off for a Shin-Osaka/Hiroshima round-trip (the extra trips between Kyoto and Shin-Ôsaka and between Hiroshima and Miyajima are bonus), so it would work here for days 5-8.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Public transport for kyoto 2014/8/22 23:46
Thank you for your correction, Firas. Yes, Sanyo Pass 4 days is useful in this case.

Re: your itinerary and transport 2014/8/23 04:22
Arrival on 14 Nov. 8.45 hrs; 21 Nov. 10.50 hrs.

If the departure from KIX is scheduled on 21 November, you will not have Day 9 counted from 14 November of your arrival; you need to modify your above-posted itinerary.
(In that case, please use the actual date instead of "Day n" so that the two versions are not mixed up.)

The 4-day Sanyo Pass pays off for a Shin-Osaka/Hiroshima round-trip (the extra trips between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka and between Hiroshima and Miyajima are bonus)

Well, the prices are around the same between the 4-day JR-West San(')yo Area Pass the JR regular cost.
Concerning a roundtrip from Kyoto Station via Shin-Osaka, Hiroshima and Miyajimaguchi Stations to Miyajima Pier, the price of the 4-day pass is lower a little.

Please note that you cannot travel with this JR-West pass between Kyoto and Shin-Osaka by Tokaido Shinkansen, which is operated by JR-Central.
You can take a Special Rapid train (on a non-Shinkansen line) from/to Kyoto to/from Shin-Osaka for about 25 to 30 minutes.
You will make this Hiroshima & Miyajima trip on weekdays, so I recommend avoiding morning and evening rush on this JR non-Shinkansen section.

I do not know if it is allowed to purchase similar passes per person.

One person cannot purchase a same kind of JR-West pass more than once during one journey in Japan.
If you purchase a JR-West Kansai Area Pass, you cannot purchase another unless you leave Japan and land on Japan again as a Temporary Visitor.

I suppose you will not need two Kansai Thru Passes per person.
A 3-day Kansai Thru Pass may pay off if you make trips to Nara, Ohara (in Kyoto) and Kurama (in Kyoto) on different days as you plan now.
Concerning some of the other listed places in Kyoto, a Kyoto City Bus - Kyoto Bus One-day Pass (sold at 500 yen per adult) is worth considering.

By the way, to visit Kyoto Imperial Palace, you should apply for a tour (free of charge) organized by Imperial Household Agency.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Correction 2014/8/23 04:26
NOT
: between ... the JR regular cost.
BUT
: between ... and the JR regular cost.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Public transport for kyoto 2014/8/23 07:14
You will make this Hiroshima & Miyajima trip on weekdays, so I recommend avoiding morning and evening rush on this JR non-Shinkansen section.

Yes, but you can use Haruka reserved seat for free of charge (reservation needed) if you buy the Sanyo Area Pass. Anyway, if you choose this pass, you must exchange train at Shin-Osaka and cannot use direct Shinkansen from Kyoto to Hiroshima, which means you must travel additional 20-30 min per one way. But alternatively, you can travel for free some places like Himeji, Okayama and Kurashiki. I think the planning is the large part of the travel, so enjoy planning using Hyperdia!

Re: Public transport for kyoto 2014/8/27 18:36
Thank you all for your advice! I am looking forward to our trip.
by Caar (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread