Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

legitimate katana swords in the UK 2014/8/12 23:41
I decided to buy a katana sword for my partner for his birthday as he has always dreamed of having one of these swords. it would be his first katana, and I myself do not know anything about katanas.
The main purpose for this sword is display, however it is important that this sword is a genuine "battle ready" sword because my partner may want to use it for martial arts in the future. I'm sure my partner will be able to tell a good sword however I'm not.
I wish to purchase a sword online in the UK. I was looking on a website called katanamart.co.uk
I would really appreciate if you could help me pick out a good quality sword through either this or another website and if you could verify for me which of these websites will not give me legal problems with the sword.
My maximum budget is £200.

I would really appreciate your help as soon as possible because my partner's birthday is in october and I need to have the sword delivered by then.

Please, please, please help.

What do you think of these two:

http://www.katanamart.co.uk/en/buy-samurai-swords-japanese-swords-kata...

http://www.katanamart.co.uk/en/buy-samurai-swords-japanese-swords-kata...
by ezer (guest)  

Re: legitimate katana swords in the UK 2014/8/13 10:40
You won't find a genuine, "battle ready" katana for 200 Pounds. What you'll get for that price is an imitation stainless steel blade that may or may not be sharp. You can sharpen it, though, and make it lethal, but what are the laws in your country about having such a weapon?
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: legitimate katana swords in the UK 2014/8/13 10:43
You don't want a "battle ready" one for martial arts!
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: legitimate katana swords in the UK 2014/8/13 11:12
Btw, the ones that you linked to are clearly marked as display pieces, as are virtually all of the swords you find on these types of websites. But even display swords could probably be used for performing martial arts kata, however if he's gonna be doing any cutting with it then you'd better look at swords sold specifically for that purpose. A cursory search leads me to believe that those types of swords are outside of your budget.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: legitimate katana swords in the UK 2014/8/14 03:57
if ment legit katana ones who are legal in japan than you will start from 400 pound for iaito aluminium blade for iaido and about 700 to well 10000 for antiuqe folded steal katana... also dont by stainles steal or other crap called decor you will ending up injuring your frend your self and other people. they have tendecy to brake while swinging and thats not good thing.

ps. information from expiriance since im training iaido and kendo
by jancis rate this post as useful

reply to this thread