Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How much money can you take out at the ATM? 2014/8/13 19:54
Hello friends.
I don't get my first pay until the 29th, and I don't have much money to last me till then.
I've got about 6000 yen in my overseas bank that I was going to take out, but unfortunately 7/11 ATM only seems to let me take out money in 10,000 yen bills.
Does any body know if the post office bank lets you take out in multiples of 1000 yen for foreign bank cards, or at least 5000 yen? It's a bit of a walk and closed right now I'm sure so I figured I'd ask you guys. Thanks.
by OP (guest)  

Re: How much money can you take out at the ATM? 2014/8/14 09:11
The limit is set by the issuer of your card (i.e., your bank), not by the operator of the ATM, so ask your bank.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How much money can you take out at the ATM? 2014/8/14 09:13
Never mind, I misread. Yes, post office ATMs let you withdraw in 1000 yen increments.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: How much money can you take out at the ATM? 2014/8/14 09:46
Yes, post office atms allow withdrawals in 1000 yen increments, but note that your bank may block the transaction if your withdrawal amount plus fees is higher than your balance. If you have about 6000 yen then best not to try to withdraw more than 5000 yen.

The other issue may be that you bank is blocking all foreign transactions as fraud prevention. Did notify them that you're in Japan, or have you been using your card already without issue?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: How much money can you take out at the ATM? 2014/8/14 21:42
you may ask your employer to pay a part of your salary in advance, mae-gari(前借り).
I think 6000yen is not enough for 2 weeks living.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: How much money can you take out at the ATM? 2014/8/15 16:24
Thanks for the responses.

@yllwsmrf
I've withdrawn money from the ATMs plenty of times while here, just always in 10,000 increments so I hadn't noticed.

@Ken
I ended up just borrowing some money from a friend, so I should be good until the 29th now, thanks!
by Saku K (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread