Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/8/16 12:16
Appreciate some advice, please.
May I verify that from JR Osaka, I can take the JR loop line to reach JR Shin imamiya, from there, I can purchase the Koyasan World Heritage Ticket that brings me all the way to Koyasan where most of the temple lodgings are?
May I ask any recommended temple lodging which is of average priced?
Thanks.
by Starlight (guest)  

Re: Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/8/16 16:51
Yes, I can confirm your question about transportation and pass. But I have no recommendation for a temple lodging.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/8/16 19:25
Well
Kongobuji is the main temple. The largest and its entrance is smacked in the centre of Koya san. Less than 5 minutes from the main junction. In fact its garden borders the main junction.

If you want something central and nearby, Jokiin is the place I stayed at with friends. It had a friendly assistant monk. And the food was great.
It isn't the cheapest but it is just across the road from Kongobuji and a few minutes walk away to the main junction (restaurants & tourist information) East-West Road meets North road.

Then again, Koya San isn't too large as walking from central to any extreme of the town won't take more than 20 minutes. (Unless you go to the herb garden.... for whatever unknown reason)

Hoon-in is probably one of the cheapest you can get but I have not personally been there.
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/8/16 19:31
Hi
Thank you for sharing.
Somehow I could not find the exact price of lodging from each temple. But I have sent a few enquires to ask.
One of them was Shojoshi-in which has received many positive reviews and also rather expensive.
I noted your recommendations.
Thank you.
by Starlight (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/8/16 23:46
I stayed at the Henjoko-in. It was right on the bus route and easy to get to. Everyone was very pleasent, and I enjoyed my visit. It seemed to be the best value for a single person staying a night.

The food was good, as well as the bath and morning ceremony. I went just after golden week, and the courtyard Sakura tree was at the end of full bloom, and was losing it's petals. I think the delay in blooming was due to the elevation, but it did make just sitting on the steps a simple way to enjoy Hanabe at the temple.
by ebaychucky311 rate this post as useful

Re: Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/8/17 09:22
I was disappointed to receive an email that meals are not served at Shunkoin Temple.
So I may have to look for another Temple which serves the meals.
For those who stayed in the temple without any meals, would the dinner and breakfast easily available?
Thank you.

Re: Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/8/18 11:39
Hello
Appreciate some help, please.
I could not find any email address for some temples including Shojoshin-In and Henjoko-in, where I can enquiry on the room rate.
I tried JapaneseGuestHouse and Koyasan Shukubo Association but no reply.
Is there any email address which I can make an enquiry, please?
Thank you.

Re: Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/8/29 07:13
I stayed at Fudou-in two years ago and really enjoyed it. The food was wonderful and the head priest speaks English (having spent a few years in Texas going to school). In order to avoid language barrier problems in reserving the lodging, I booked it through Japanican website so it was really trouble-free for me make the arrangements.
by trudy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/8/29 09:26
Thank you for replies.
I managed to book a night stay at Jimyo-In temple.
Although I will be buying the Koyasan World Heritage Pass which includes unlimited bus rides, I prefer to walk around Koyasan. May I ask if this is feasible as I have a whole afternoon to wander around?
May I ask walking to Okunoin to see the Hall of Lanterns is possible?
Thank you.

Re: Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/9/2 15:55
We stayed at Komyo-in for one night 92 adults and 5 year old boy) Price was 9720 yen per adult including dinner, room (japanese style) and breakfast. Food was excellent vegetarian. We were the only people staying at the temple and had the onsen bath to ourselves. We booked directly thru Koya San Tourist Association online by telling them our budget and food requirements (vegetarian strict) and they found the temple for us. It was close to the bus stop. The town is very small and you could walk the whole length in an hour but the bus was useful with a child.
by Nasum (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/9/2 16:47
Hi Nasum
Thank you for sharing.
I am planning to arrive around noon in Koyasan so that I can spend some time walking around including the Okunoin.
I am unsure if I still need the next day morning to explore. Otherwise, I can leave to Osaka.
Do you gather for half a day would suffice for mainly the Okunoin?
Thank you.

Re: Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/9/4 14:03
We left Kyoto around 8am and arrived in Koya-san around 11am I think. We caught the bus into town and checked in to our temple. We then spent the rest of the day seeing all the main sites until 5:30pm when we had to return to our temple for dinner.

By luck we caught one of the few buses that run to Daimon Gate and we walked back through town seeing the Garan and other sites and then walked the length of the Okunion in the late afternoon when it was beautiful and quiet. We had lots of things we wanted to see in Kyoto so we got an early bus around 8am from Koya to the station. I think half a day is enough and we had a 5 year old with us. Koya is excellent to visit.
by Nasum (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/9/4 15:42
Morning is a great time to explore temples that are crowded during the day. I went to Danjo Garan in the morning after breakfast at Fudoin and had the place to myself. It was wonderful in that kind of situation, much better than being shoulder to shoulder with everyone who shows up in the afternoons. Don't hurry back to Osaka in the morning. Everyone else does, but use that time to explore in peace.

http://traveljapanblog.com/wordpress/tag/danjo-garan-%E5%A3%87%E5%A0%B...
by rpcman (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Temple Lodging in Koyasan 2014/9/4 17:31
Dear Nasum and rpcman
Thank you for your reply.
I would love to walk around especially if the weather is great.
As I plan to arrive Koyasan slightly after the noon, I would have about half a day to explore, though noting the Sun sets early.
After breakfast, I would still have a couple of hours to explore before I catch the bus to the cable station.
I have to time the bus properly so that I will not miss the cable car ride which links to the rest of my journey to Shin-Osaka.
Thank you.

reply to this thread