Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Interested in gaming, where to go? 2014/8/16 22:06
We will be in Tokyo for 5 days, may son is interested in gaming, where are good points of interest that will be good to visit besides the Odaiba area?
by gaming (guest)  

Re: Interested in gaming, where to go? 2014/8/17 09:25
well the touristic game/anime/otaku mecca in Akihabara aka Akiba..

not just games/anime but also electrical/elecctronic stuffs..

by akiba.. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Interested in gaming, where to go? 2014/8/17 11:12
I agree with akiba. Go to Akihabara. It's gaming heaven. Anime stores (not sure if your son watches anime) are EVERYWHERE. Maid cafes are there too (but most won't allow pictures) Hope you guys have a great trip! (You'll love Japan!!!) There's also UFO Catchers as well. They're basically claw games, but the prizes are actually WORTH something!!! (be prepared. You'll spend a TON of money on those things XDD they're REALLY hard but REALLY fun!)

:)

I think Shibuya is another good place to visit (but I'm not sure. I haven't been there in a couple years lol) ^^;

Once again. HAVE A GREAT TIME :DDD
by AnnaWright rate this post as useful

Re: Interested in gaming, where to go? 2014/8/19 01:33
In Akihabara, look for Super Potato, which is probably the most extensive retro shop in the world. If it's Japanese, and retro, they probably have it, they also have a very nice retro arcade on the 3rd floor.
Out of the arcades, Tokyo Leisure Land is not the most famous, but to me features the best collection of games :)

If you're shopping for game merchandising, the shopping mall at the end of Nakano broadway is a good place too.

Be aware that if your son is looking for American or European games/systems, Japan is not the place.
by aerond (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Interested in gaming, where to go? 2014/8/19 18:58
We are not looking to buy games per say, just something that might be of interest to see.
We might be interested in getting buttons and joystick decorations that kind of things.Is Nakano broadway in Akihabara?
Can you give me more info so I can find it.
by gaming (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Interested in gaming, where to go? 2014/8/19 19:35
Nakano Broadway is in Nakano, which is a short train ride from Shinjuku station on the Chuo Line (4 minutes by Rapid train or 9 minutes by Local). Even if you're not looking to buy games, Super Potato is a great place to hang around -and they have loads of merchandising apart from games- :)

Gaming culture sums up in shops and arcades, so those are the best places to get a feel of the gaming culture in Japan. Some shops in Akihabara sell costumes, many cattered to a gaming audience, if that's your thing.

by aerond (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Interested in gaming, where to go? 2014/8/21 20:27
If you plan on visiting arcades, I would also recommend Mikado in Takadanobaba, if your son likes retro or fighting games, or if he just wants to see a very unique arcade. The 1st floor has a collection of retro and large cabinet games, which includes Darius and Ninja warriors, as well as pinball games, which I haven't seen in any other arcades here. About a quarter of the 2nd floor is made up of shooter games, and the rest is fighting games, which are mainly 2d, but includes some less common 3d fighters.

Unlike most arcades, it feels like an enthusiasts personal collection, rather than a commercial business. It is however in an area that doesn't really have any tourist attractions, but it's halfway between Shinjuku and Ikebukuro, so you can make a trip there from the Yamanote line very quickly and easily.
by Umechan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Interested in gaming, where to go? 2014/8/22 23:13
Akihabara is your best bet.
by adventureguy (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread