Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visiting Osaka during New Year 2014/8/19 17:05
I'm planning to visit Osaka during the New Year!

Would like some advice of what local people do in celebration and travel around?
Any special delicacy or ritual that is ideal to eat or see?
Where is the count down?
Are most of the shop closed?
How about restaurant?
How much extra are the hotels during these periods?
Which day is normal opening hours? (normal working days or shop open fully)

I planned to arrive on the 29th Dec in Kansai Airport, stay few days and hope to another county for 10 days, then come back again to stay another week before leaving Japan.

As I would be leaving Japan again, I believe I can get JR West Kansai WIDE area pass twice ? First pass for the 29th Dec period and second for the period when I come back from another country for January use.

Thank you for reading and replying my post! Any advice is much appreciated.

by Jensen (guest)  

New Years in Japan 2014/8/19 23:55
An alternative to count down and partying is a large temple. They ring the temple bell (Usually very big) 108 times starting at the stroke of midnight. Some temples allow foreigners to line up to hit the bell once.
Some might burn old cemetery wooden grave markers and have food stands set up. Quite a festive atmosphere.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Osaka during New Year 2014/8/20 02:23
I've spent the end of year in Osaka some years ago. Here you can see the best places to see:http://www.soleilrouge.org/les-illuminations-de-fin-d-annee-dans-le-ka...

For the new year eve, I was in Kyoto at Yasaka shrine... and we were 900 000 waiting for the openning doors...http://www.soleilrouge.org/nuit-du-nouvel-an-a-kyoto
by fuchan29 rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Osaka during New Year 2014/8/20 07:22
Thx Dick H
it sound really interesting, would you happen to know any of these temples? It would be a unique and fun experience in these temples with all these festive atmosphere.

Thx fuchan29
You have a well written report with lots of pictures and video, on you website. Sound really popular event, tempted to go there. Would you happen to know how is the transport over there? train or buses? to Kyoto? to Osaka?

What is the weather like? Cause I coming over from England and your picture shows people wearing snowing gear on.
by Jensen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Osaka during New Year 2014/8/20 08:52
The main food for new years is osechi ryori (http://www.bento.com/fexp-osechi.html). Unfortunately it may be difficult for you to try this, as it's generally not available in restaurants. It's normally either made at home or bought from a department store or supermarket, which I believe normally requires an order in advance. I'm not sure if it is possible to order them outside of Japan, unless you know someone in Japan that can place the order for you.

Other than visiting temples and shrines, I would say that New Years isn't a great time to visit, as many shops and attractions are closed, but you could probably go to a park or find something open if you look into new years opening times for different places.
by Umechan (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Osaka during New Year 2014/8/20 11:09
If you arrive before Xmas, you could see Osaka hikari renaissance which is Xmas lights/illumination event held in Nakanoshima park,Osaka city!!
check out the following site!!
http://www.hikari-kyoen.com/en/

However you would be able to see some Xmas lights even in Namba parks shopping centre and Midosuji street so on even after Xmas!!

by auldreekie rate this post as useful

New Year in Osaka 2014/8/20 13:25
My experience of New year is only in Tokyo where I lived, but I found this blog that may be useful.
http://j-hoppers.japanhostel.net/2008/12/how-to-enjoy-new-year-in-osak...
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Osaka during New Year 2014/8/21 18:51
Thx Umechan

The osechi ryori sound really interesting! Shame even if I can buy it or ask someone to prebook it, there won't be places to cook in Hotel!

Was wondering if I do get it, will the food go bad if I plan to take a 3 hr flight? Might do a small side trip Hong Kong to visit families. Sound like a good gift. Would it be able to collect it on 1st Jan?

Thx auldreekie
I won't be able to arrive before x'mas, got other commitment and already booked. Originally to come to Japan for x'mas as it's normal day unlike Europe a ghost town that day or two.

Will look forward to seeing x'mas lighting when we arrived.

Thx Dick H
the link was interesting, will do more detail looking into it.

Few more Q's
Is there any problem with Japan immigration, as I will be entering for a few days and go some where else and come back in a week? I had a long questioning while I did this in the US!

How are the opening hours of shops and transport operating hours and schedule on the following days?
29th Dec?
30th Dec?
31st Dec?
1st Jan?
2nd Jan?

If I decide to go temple/shrine on 31st Dec, is there transport getting back to city centre?
On 1st Jan, will I be able to catch a train to KIX?

by Jensen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Visiting Osaka during New Year 2014/8/22 00:56
Visa wise it depends on your nationality. But unless there is a war or something back home, it shouldn't be an issue. Americans are extra cautious due to terrorism.

Most shrines are walking distance to other places. Especially if you decide to shrine out in Kyoto. Just pick a nearby hotel. For something else,
Miyajima has night fireworks 31 december every year.
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread