Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiroshima 2014/8/20 13:18
I would like to visit the Peace Park and Miyajima including the 2hr Daishoin Trail.
May I ask if these can be completed within a day?
Thank you.
by ... (guest)  

Re: Hiroshima 2014/8/20 16:06
Yep!
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima 2014/8/20 16:30
Thank you for your reply.
I will be staying at Hiroshima for 2 days. If I can complete the Peace Park and Miyajima within a day, any advice where can I visit using my JR pass for 2nd day?
Thank you.

Re: Hiroshima 2014/8/20 18:56
If you have a JR pass and get back in time for one of the last Shinkansen out of Hiroshima, the whole country is open to you really. If you've already paid your hotel though and want something somewhat nearby, the caves of Akiyoshido are a beautiful sight: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6130.html (and the bus from Yamaguchi station is covered by the JR pass). You could also check out the Iwakuni bridge along the way if it interests you.

If you're more interested in shrines and castles, a day trip combining a visit to Matsue Castle and Izumo Taisha up north from Hiroshima is also worthwhile. Otherwise, you can also just take an early Shinkansen to Kyoto or somesuch and explore there if you haven't already.
by TheTripod rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima 2014/8/20 19:04
Dear The Tripod
Thank you for sharing.
I am planning 2 days in Hiroshima before continuing to Koyasan and then to Kyoto.
Before Hiroshima, I will be at Hakata.
I am looking for a short scenic JR train day trip from Hiroshima.
Thank you.

Re: Hiroshima 2014/8/20 19:18
Well the trains/buses to Matsue/Izumo/Akiyoshido are the usual scenery, lots of rice paddies and mountains if that's your thing. Quite beautiful, though if you've been in the country a while it does get a bit repetitive.

If all you're after is a scenic train ride on JR, going down the coast of Shikoku on the Shiokaze from Okayama provides some beautiful coastal scenery. Though if you don't mind cycling going down part of the Shimanami Kaido (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3478.html) is probably a better way to experience it.
by TheTripod rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima 2014/8/21 01:45
Try the Seto Inland sea. Take a train to Takehara or Onimichi. Both are lovely.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima 2014/8/21 02:28
Yes, it can be done in one day. what no one is telling is that Peace Park takes half a day and Miyajima take the other half. plus you wanna do the Hiroshima Rope car thing that take you to the Daishoin Trail i think will take a long time in itself.

Get to the peace park and museum before it open up to look around, outside area alone is about one hour sightseening, than your going to be inside that take sometime depending how detail you want to be and what you want to see.

make sure your out by 11am 1145 the latest. Miyajima is all the way on the other side it will take you 45 to 50min by street car and boat to cross. Miyajima you can do within an hour or two depending maybe more how detail you do your sightseening.

that Daishoin Trail going all the way up to the top it will times.

i had to return to Hiroshima because 1 i got lost going to Hiroshima finidng the right train, 2, taking the right street car to the museum and Park, 3, taking forever inside the museum. 4 i thought i could walk to Miyajima, boy was i wrong. 5, getting lost again.finally when i arrived there, eveything was closing up.

i hope my experience will help you. just remember, you can do some night sightseening even if things are close at some spots.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima 2014/8/21 07:43
Hi Seiko
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I am thinking of going to Miyajima in the early morning to complete my Daishoin Trail before returning to Hiroshima in the early afernoon for a lunch at Okonomi-mura village. Then I will walk around Peace Memorial Park and probably Downtown for my dinner.
May I ask if the above is feasible, please?
Thank you.

Re: Hiroshima 2014/8/21 10:30
May I ask if these can be completed within a day?

Well, if you hope to complete Miyajima Island and Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park, I recommend you would expect at least 1 and a half day, but that depends on what you think as "completing" each of the two places.
(Personally I regret that I did not allot much time for Miyajima when I visited these two places last, arriving to the island in the afternoon and hurrying to Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park in the following morning.)

Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park is vast; A-bomb Dome is around its north corner, while Peace Memorial Museum is around its south end.

Many war-and-peace-related cenotaphs and monuments are in and around Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park. I suppose most of them are not accompanied by explanations (even in Japanese language) at the real sites. You can see explanations in English language on the website.
http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/virtual/VirtualMuseum_e/tour_e/tour_m...

When will you travel?
If you visit Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park in the coming September 2014 or later by the spring of 2018, one thing to note is that Peace Memorial Museum will undergo renovation works.
http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/images_e/renovations%20e.pdf
If you come during December to February, note also that the closing time of Peace Memorial Museum is earlier at 17:00 [5 pm].
http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/frame/Virtual_e/tour_e/guide2_4.html
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima 2014/8/21 10:35
That sound even better starting there and ending your sightseeing at the museum then do the peace park with downtown, remember its your trip make it work for you. You never Told us if your staying in Hiroshima for the day or your taking the train into Hiroshima. I took the train into Hiroshima from Osaka. I hang out at Hiroshima all day than took the 2nd or 3rd train from Hiroshima to Osaka. I did this on a lot of my travel depending on the city/town i visited, I stay there all day walk around and hang out there all day then take the last few train back to my room.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hiroshima 2014/8/21 13:43
@seiko
He mentioned 2 nights in Hiroshima
Coming in from Kyushu and leaving for Kyoto

@... Hiroshima can be completed in a short while
Go to the station rent a bicycle
Cycle to castle
Cycle to peace park
Cycle to a bomb museum
Have lunch
Cycle back to station