Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Rice porridge 2014/8/20 18:11
Hi,

Is it easy to buy rice porridge in Japan like Tokyo Disneyland? Planning to bring along a 2 yrs old toddler
by qing22 (guest)  

Re: Rice porridge 2014/8/20 19:49
Disneyland and Disney's Sea also, I have been selling powdered milk and baby food in the baby center.
http://www.tokyodisneyresort.jp/help/forkids.html
It sells department store and supermarket, or the like drugstore.
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Rice porridge 2014/8/20 22:38
I don't know about Disneyland, but if you're talking about ready-made jarred baby food, rice porridge (okayu) is one of your most common choices. But I'm not sure if Japanese style rice porridge would suit your baby's taste.

https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=%E3%83%99%E3%83%93%E3%83%BC%E3%83%95...
by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rice porridge 2014/8/21 22:51
If it is not those ready to eat rice porridge, is it easy to buy rice porridge from the restaurants or shops there?
by qing22 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rice porridge 2014/8/22 00:56
In addition to the Disneyland and Disney Sea, baby food has been sold.
Seijo Ishii of IKSPIARI
http://www.ikspiari.com/shop/shops/category/foodcourt.html
Looking Glass gift of Disneyland Hotel (24h open)
http://www.disneyhotels.jp/english/tdh/facilities/index.html#shop
by haro1210 rate this post as useful

Re: Rice porridge 2014/8/22 10:24
If it is not those ready to eat rice porridge, is it easy to buy rice porridge from the restaurants or shops there?

Except for Chinese restaurants, most places don't sell okayu. Ochazuke is rather easy to find though, and might make for a reasonable substitute in a pinch.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

What kind? 2014/8/23 00:39
qing22,

Japanese style rice porridge is typically just plain rice cooked with extra water than usual.

In other words, when parents need to feed their babies rice porridge while eating out, they just order plain rice (gohan) for themselves and mush it at the table with drinking water or soup.

Also, rice porridge (again the plain ones with no taste added) is something typically eaten for breakfast. So often, hotels would offer them as one of their buffet breakfast menues. Otherwise, it just isn't common for Japanese people to eat rice porridge for, say, lunch, snack or dinner unless it's for babies.

What kind of rice porridge are you actually looking for? Maybe you're aiming for something closer to Chinese porridge or Italian risotto or Japanese "ojiya".
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: Rice porridge 2014/8/23 15:32
My toddler is still unable to eat rice therefore I am still feeding him chinese style porridge at home. We travelled once before and I bought those Ajinomoto prepack plain rice porridge and just heat it up using a Avent warmer. However, in Japan the voltage is different therefore not sure how I can warm up the porridge. Looking at alternative if I could just purchase porridge from the restaurants.
by qing22 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Rice porridge 2014/8/25 22:04
It's me again.

Excuse me, I'm not sure if I understand it correctly. Your 2-year-old can eat rice porridge but cannot eat rice mushed in hot water? Is that a matter of your toddler's preference? Because it doesn't seem to be a matter of allergy or digestion.

Anyway, do you think you can use microwave ovens to heat whatever you need to heat? For example, you can bring along a dish that you can put in a microwave, put the food in that dish, then heat it in a microwave.

You can find microwave ovens in a lot of places. Most if not all hotels have them either in the dining room or your bedroom. Restaurants and convenience stores have microwaves too, and while it's usually for food that they provide, they can often use it for your baby's food if you order/buy something else for the adults.

Meanwhile, I'm a little bit concerned as a parent myself. Shouldn't 2-year-olds be starting to eat more diverse materials? Perhaps your country has different policies as far as childcare is concerned.

Anyway, I hope this answers your question.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread