Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Sunrise Izumo Reserved Seat 2014/8/21 02:55
Hello!

Based on ROUTE 1 in the following scenario, does the "reserved seat" correspond to an actual seat or is this the "nobinobi" I keep reading about? Also, is this reserved seat covered by the JRPass?

It so happens to be the last train out of Matsue in the direction of the Sanyo line and I'd like the extra half hour it may give me in relation to the last Yakumo.

http://www.hyperdia.com/en/cgi/en/search.html?dep_node=MATSUE&arv_node...
by John B digs Japan  

Re: Sunrise Izumo Reserved Seat 2014/8/22 10:43
As far as I know, it is the "nobinobi" seat/platform, and you can see pictures here: http://www.toretabi.jp/travel/shindai_vol01/01.html

I think the JR pass will cover the fare, but not the seat charge (people who want beds are expected to pay for beds, after all).

You will need to make the reservation in Japan, and to use your JR pass, you will need to make the reservation once your pass is activated. Therefore, if you activate it not long before you plan to ride it, you run the risk of having no seats left (especially if you travel during a peak season).

Just in case they don't have anything else, it should still be fairly easy to book a Yakumo ticket and just plan your trip so that you get to the station in time. Have a good time!
by Buri0110 rate this post as useful

Re: Sunrise Izumo Reserved Seat 2014/8/22 11:29
@John
It's the "nobinobi seat", i.e. carpet space to sleep on, as there is no actual seating accommodation on the Sunrise trains. For ticketing purposes, it is treated as a "reserved seat" rather than a sleeping car berth, so you can use the Japan Rail Pass without having to pay anything extra.
by Herbie (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Sunrise Izumo Reserved Seat 2014/8/22 11:59
Thank you Buri0110 and Herbie. Hopefully those extra 26 minutes will allow me the time I need to photograph the sun set over Lake Shinji. I'm not too happy about the nobinobi seating, as I would definitely like to have a cushioned area for my derriere.... I'll know when I try to reserve it if I get it or get take the Yakumo 26 minutes earlier.

Thanks!
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Sunrise Izumo Reserved Seat 2014/8/22 12:26
Make sure you make the reservation ASAP, I tried a day early and was completely out of luck, even for a paid berth.
by TheTripod rate this post as useful

reply to this thread