Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

To study Japan university now or later? 2014/8/21 22:37
Hello everyone or experts.

I'm Yvonne, Female, 25 this year and am a Singaporean. My highest education is Diploma in Tourism from a private school in Singapore.
I'm currently umenployed, and right now seeking for a job.
Interested in Marketing and Communication.

My wish is to live in Japan for a few years. So my though was "why not try to work in Japan?". After that I did a little research and found out that I actually need to be a degree holder in order to work there. :(

So I need some suggestions from you experts here.

1. Study in Japan Uni to get a Degree(at the same time, to fulfill my dream) starting at age 26. Return to Singapore after graduated and get a career here or a career for a western company in Japan. (This option requires me to get a bank loan as I am not from a well to do family.)

2. Work in Singapore for some years to save up(5years?). Study in Japan at age 30/31?. (Might need bank loan, graduate at old age. Do I need to apply for fresh graduated job after I graduated?)

3. Work for a Japan company in Singapore for some years. After that request to relocated to Japan. (No need bank loan, and no degree.)

So... what will guys suggest?
by Haryuu  

Re: To study Japan university now or later? 2014/8/22 11:18
I think, if you want to study Marketing, you need to have very fluent Japanese - for example, being able to read a novel in Japanese. Also, generally, I think Japanese are not so good at Marketing. The philosophy seems to be "stick a huge, ugly, annoying billboard on the roof of a building = job done".

There are other courses, and other subjects available in English though. The G30 program is a good place to start (http://www.uni.international.mext.go.jp/ ), although there are other options.
You can't rely on scholarships, and 4 years of school will eat your money up pretty quickly. You should consider carefully what you want to do. It's always a good idea to have some savings built up before deciding to go to college.
by Dainichi Heater rate this post as useful

Re: To study Japan university now or later? 2014/8/22 16:11
Just a warning, I asked something like this a Japanese businessman working in a German subsidiary for a Japanese company.

He said that if you wanna go to work in Japan try working for a international non-Japanese company which has subsidiaries in Japan and then ask for a transfer.

It's because Japanese companies prefer to have Japanese people working for them (in offices located in Japan).

You really have to have special skills in order to get transferred to Japan by a Japanese company.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: To study Japan university now or later? 2014/8/22 16:50
haryuu aka Yvonne
1st priority - get a job
then study for a part-time degree and concurrently study Japanese language.
Thst's killing two stones with one birdie;-)
Seriosuly, that's a no-brainer in US speak.

by Epsilon8 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: To study Japan university now or later? 2014/8/22 17:35
If you want to try 1., you'd need to study the Japanese language first to get accepted at a local university - people study (usually) at least 1.5 or 2 years if you are starting from zero to get their Japanese language proficiency level to a university level (so that you can follow courses in Japanese).

So that would actually mean 2 + 4 years of education. I would say probably 3, or work for a Singaporean company that has branches in Japan.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread