Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

input please on 13 day itinerary 2014/8/22 02:31
Hi, I've found this site quite useful in researching my upcoming trip to Japan (with my husband) and putting together an itinerary. I am now looking for suggestions / concerns / etc. for the following itinerary:

Day 1: arrive Narita in afternoon, take NEX into Tokyo; stay: Tokyo

Day 2: Tokyo: early morning Asakusa / Sensoji; then use Tobu Nikko Pass @ 9:10 to Nikko (ETA 11:21): Toshogu, Taiyuinbyo, Rinnoji, Kanmangafuchi Abyss, (if time Lake Chuzenji); 17:39 Tobu train back to Tokyo (ETA 20:05); Tokyo skytree?; stay: Tokyo

Day 3: Tokyo: Tsukiji Fish Market, Imperial Palace East Gardens, Ueno Park (incl. zoo and/or 1 or 2 museums in area), Sengakuji, Odaiba and/or Akihabara; stay: Tokyo

Day 4: Tokyo: Tokyo Metrop Gov Bldg observation deck, Meiji Shrine, Takeshita Dori / Harajuku, Ghibli museum!, Shibuya District, Zozoji Temple / Tokyo Tower; stay: Tokyo

Day 5: activate JPR 7day pass, 7:24 train to Nagano (ETA 8:48), Zenkoji temple; local bus to Jigokudani Monkey Park; then Shibu Onsen OR Togakushi; stay: Nagano

Day 6: 6:31 trains to Kanazawa (ETA: 10:47), Kenrokuen, Seisonkaku Villa, Omicho, Higashi Chaya (if time, Kanazawa Castle, Nagazami); 16:00 bus to Shirakawago (ETA 17:15) (in time for Gassho-Zukuri dinner!); stay: Shirakawago

Day 7: 9:35 bus to Takayama (ETA 10:25), morning market, old town: a Heritage house, a sake brewery; 14:39 train to Osaka (ETA 18:35), Minami / Dotonbori; stay: Osaka

Day 8: Osaka in morning: Shitennoji Temple OR Osaka Castle; 11:24 travel to Koyasan (ETA 13:10): Daishi Kyokai, Garan, Kongobuju, Okunoin; temple stay; stay: Koyasan

Day 9: 7:45 travel to Osaka to catch 10:59 train to Hiroshima (ETA 12:26), Peace Park; 14:44 train to Miyajimi (ETA 15:30): Itsukushima, Daisho-In, hike Mt Misen; stay: Miyajima

Day 10: 7:34 travel to Horyuji (ETA 10:53) see temple; 12:22 travel to Nara (ETA 12:33): Todaji, Kofukuji, Kasuga Taisha, dear park; 17:56 travel to Kyoto (ETA 18:48), Gion; stay: Kyoto

Day 11: Kyoto: bus to Ginkakuji, then Philosopher's Path (incl. Honein and Otojo Jinja) to Nanzenji and Keage Incline, through Maruyama park to Kodaiji / bamboo grove, Higashiyama, walk to Kiyomizudera, train to Fushimi Inari and hike; stay: Kyoto

Day 12: Kyoto: 8:00 Sanjusangendo, bus to Kinkakuji, walk to Ninnaji, Ryoanji, bus to Nijo Castle, Imperial park, Nishiki Market, Pontocho, dinner in Gion, Maruyama park / Yasaka shrine; stay: Kyoto

Day 13: 9:00 travel to KIX for 12:50 departure

I know that a couple of the days are quite packed, but I'd like to see as much as I can because I'm not sure if / when we'll be back to Japan. I think that I've been careful about considering logistics and travel times, keeping in mind the opening/closing hours of sites. And though it's busy, I think it's still reasonable. But I think it'll be good to get other opinions / ideas.

Thanks!
by sjooo (guest)  

Re: input please on 13 day itinerary 2014/8/22 16:00
Day 1: arrive Narita in afternoon, take NEX into Tokyo; stay: Tokyo

Day 2: Seems good but do be aware of Nikko train departure time, I believe it's one train per hour.

Day 3: Tokyo: Tsukiji Fish Market, Imperial Palace East Gardens, Ueno Park (incl. zoo and/or 1 or 2 museums in area), Sengakuji, Odaiba and/or Akihabara; stay: Tokyo
Too cramped if you add Odaiba in the equation, Odaiba is worth a day or half day visit on its own, same with Akihabara, depending on what you are interested with

Day 4: Tokyo: Tokyo Metrop Gov Bldg observation deck, Meiji Shrine, Takeshita Dori / Harajuku, Ghibli museum!, Shibuya District, Zozoji Temple / Tokyo Tower; stay: Tokyo
Probably better to start the day at Ghibli Museum then head to Harajuku Meiji Shrine Takeshita Shibuya etc

Day 5: Seems ok

Day 6: It's totally possible to visit most of Kanazawa attraction before 16:00PM if you are good walker. Do visit the garden though.

Day 7: Seems ok
Day 8: Seems ok

Day 11: Seems ok, do remember Fushimi Inari shrine is still accessible at night, though it will be a bit dark hehe..

Day 12: Seems ok

I think in general most are good, though when is this trip going to be? Autumn? I feel apart from day 9 and 10 where I have no experience with, Day 3 is too packed for a day, depending what you are interested with though.

Day 4 would be better you start from Ghibli Museum as it is in different direction to most of other locations you are going on the day.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: input please on 13 day itinerary 2014/8/22 17:24
As you say, your itinerary is very packed.

But you've obviously done lots of research so I guess you're happy with the pace you're setting yourself. I understand your wish to see as much as possible, and also the idea that you might not get the chance to return (although I suspect you might get the bug and start saving for another trip as soon as you return!).

If it were me, I'd consider whether you've got the right weighting between city and countryside, and whether taking the Kanawzawa/Takayama/Shirakawa diversion is worth it (don't get me wrong - I think they're all FANTASTIC places, and I'd stay longer in Kanawawa, making sure I spent some time in the 21st Century Art Museum, for example).

You've omitted any time staying at a rural ryokan. Again, I guess this is deliberate. But, if it were me, I'd always make time for this in any trip because I think it's one of the things that are truly unique about Japan.
by Winter Visitor rate this post as useful

Re: input please on 13 day itinerary 2014/8/22 17:31
Day 2: I would move Asakusa to another day - that's a place you want to "wander around," rather than just go straight and get done. You might want more time for Nikko anyway, though.

Days 3 & 4 look very packed. We spend almost the whole day at Ghibli. If you spend any leisurely time in Ueno, you would not have time for the rest of the places for the day.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: input please on 13 day itinerary 2014/8/22 18:20
Personally, I like Kanazawa very much, I have no idea why apart from the great foods I had there. I was there for 2 days but one of the days, I went to Fukui. I think Kanazawa has a lot more to offer, on side note, they going to have Shinkansen running through Kanazawa soon, not sure what year though.

But as mentioned before, it is rather obvious you have done a lot research on your itinerary and if your purpose is to just visit and "I'm there", then I do not see much complain on most of your itinerary, except day 3 and 4.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: input please on 13 day itinerary 2014/8/22 22:07
Hi all, thanks for your replies! The trip is in just a few weeks, and I'm quite excited.

The time in/around Tokyo was really scheduled around the visit to the Ghibli museum. I'd love to go there earlier in the day, but I could only get tickets for Wed @ 16:00. JTB Germany told me that tickets are sold out already for all of September (tickets allotted for outside Japan), but luckily a friend of a friend in Japan checked Lawson's, but only the 16:00 time slot was available. Hence, that became a fixed event around which to build the 3 days in the Tokyo area.

I'm not really a shopper, so visits to the shopping districts are more to get a flavor, and I won't be heartbroken if I miss say Odaiba. But since most temples and museums close by 5 or 5:30, I thought I'd be able to fit it into an evening. If I should prioritize a specific shopping district, please let me know.

I have Asakusa in the morning before Nikko because Sensoji opens @ 6:00, and the Tobu Nikko train leaves from Asakusa. That day is scheduled for Monday because the Imperial gardens and zoo (Ueno area) are closed on Mondays.

I'm counting my grasshouse farmstay in Shirikawago (already reserved) and the temple stay in Koyasan as my rural ryokan stays. Based off the price of those, I don't think I can really afford too many additional ryokan stays (and plan to stay in hostels in Nagano and Osaka to offset the costs of the ones I have). But should I consider one for Miyajima?

It's always a problem with limited time and so many great things that should be seen, that some things have to be skipped or rushed, and difficult to decide which. I've already given up Hakone (in favor of my husband's wish to see Jigokudani monkey park) and Himejijo (to have enough time on Miyajima). But I value the opinions and ideas of people who have already been there. So other than the fixed Ghibli visit and Shirikawago, and of course flights in and out, I can still modify the itinerary.

Thanks again for your input!

by sjooo (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: input please on 13 day itinerary 2014/8/23 02:50
Maybe u should take the 14.40 bus from kanazawa if u wish to explore the museum at shirakawago..bcoz i believe it will all closed on 5 pm..and i dont think u have much time at the next morning since u depart at 9.35?
by iren (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: input please on 13 day itinerary 2014/8/23 04:45
Every time I go to Japan, I tend to stay in Shinjuku or Ikebukuro, since they are closer to everything and center of shopping/dinning. So for your day 1, I wouldn't recommend staying in "Tokyo" IMO.
by DarthBeeL (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: input please on 13 day itinerary 2014/8/23 08:06
Here's my thoughts:

Day 2 -- Way too packed. specially the Nikko part, unless you just want to pass by and not enjoy anything. I would personally get an earlier train and enjoy Asakusa in another moment, but definitely do Skytree in the evening.

Day 3 -- Odaiba is not possible to fit in there. Akihabara would be a good choice.

Day 4 -- Also really crazy. Shinjuku / Harajuku / Shibuya make for a full day. Don't expect to have time for anything else.

Day 9 -- Your peace park schedule is way too tight. Also tight to hike Mt.Misen (you can do early the following morning though)

Your Kyoto days -- Absolutely crazy in my opinion. I must add that I'm 29, in good shape and I'm a reasonably fast paced traveller!! I would offload stuff. I think it's better to drop things and enjoy what you actually get to see than rushing from one place to another just to fit your schedule.

by aerond rate this post as useful

reply to this thread