Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto Sightseeing pass 2014/8/23 10:56
Hi

I'm looking at Kyoto Sightseeing pass (1 or 2 day) and the City Bus pass.

For the Kyoto sightseeing pass, indicated it can be used for the City bus, Subway line and within one section of Kyoto Bus Route.

What does it meant by one section of Kyoto Bus Route? How to I find out the route?

Understand that there's limited area for the City Bus pass, does this apply the same to the Kyoto sightseeing pass to for use on City bus?

Thanks
by Carol (guest)  

Re: Kyoto Sightseeing pass 2014/8/23 15:23
What does it meant by one section of Kyoto Bus Route? How to I find out the route?

I do not know from where the description "one section of Kyoto Bus Route" comes, but I believe this should be nonsense (maybe some mistake in translation). The valid area is outlined here.

http://www.kyotobus.jp/common/pdf/kankofree.pdf

Orange area is valid while blue invalid. For example, Ohara (‘匴) on the upper right is within the area but Kurama (ˆÆ”n) is outside.

On the other hand, Kyoto One day Bus Pass is valid in "flat fare" area of Kyoto City bus and Kyoto Bus.

http://www.kyotobus.jp/common/img/ticket01.gif
http://www.city.kyoto.lg.jp/kotsu/page/0000028337.html

See the figure on the bottom (Japanese language).

Honestly, the "flat area" is very complex and it is beyond my command to explain it fully (I hope authority of Kyoto will do it :)). But in general, you can access to more than 80% of the tourist spots in Kyoto with Kyoto One day Bus Pass, plus you can access the Subway and Ohara with Kyoto Sightseeing Pass.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: passes for Kyoto travelers 2014/8/23 20:49
Kyoto City Bus lines are Kyoto municipal bus lines.
Kyoto Bus is a private bus company.

In March 2014, Kyoto City Bus All-day Pass got renewed as Kyoto City Bus - Kyoto Bus One-day Pass. Its validity zone (= the flat-fare zone of Kyoto City Bus and Kyoto Bus) got expanded at the same time, newly including bus stops in Arashiyama area. The price has been the same at 500 yen per adult or 250 yen per child.

Understand that there's limited area for the City Bus pass, does this apply the same to the Kyoto sightseeing pass to for use on City bus?

No.
The validity area of Kyoto Sightseeing (One-day or Two-day) Pass Card is wider than the validity zone. Kyoto City Bus - Kyoto Bus One-day Pass

Kyoto Sightseeing Two-day Pass Card can be valid for 2 calendar days, not for 2 inconsecutive days.

Which places in Kyoto would you visit?
Whether a transportation pass pays off or not depends on your destinations and traveling paces.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Clarification 2014/8/23 21:06
NOT
: Its validity zone (= the flat-fare zone) got expanded at the same time, newly including bus stops in Arashiyama area.
BUT
: The validity of the older bus pass was limited on Kyoto City Bus sections inside the flat-fare zone of Kyoto City Bus and Kyoto Bus. At the same time as the renewal, the flat-fare zone got expanded, newly including bus stops in Arashiyama area. The newer bus pass is valid on Kyoto City Bus and Kyoto Bus sections inside the new flat-fare zone.

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Kyoto Sightseeing pass 2014/8/25 11:41
Hi

frog1954,
the link below is where I got the info about 'one section of Kyoto bus route", thus I'm really curious what it meant :)

Please scroll downwards to the header name "Card Fares":
http://www.city.kyoto.jp/koho/eng/access/transport.html

Do you happen to have the English version on all the stops names? Or, will Kyoto map include both English and the Jap/chinese character?

omotenashi,
I'm still looking at where I'm going to visit. The few I saw need bus access and thus I'm looking at this bus passes. I'm thinking between bus access or rental of bicycle.

But, one thing confirm is I intend to visit Arashiyama area.

by Carol (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread