Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Daisetsuzan vs Niseko 2014/8/26 20:34
I'll be making a short trip to Hokkaido - middle Oct 2014 and would love to see autumns in Hokkaido - preferably not so far from Sapporo - I've identified two places - Daisetsuzan and Niseko and I would like to seek opinion from you that have been to these two places to suggest me which one should I choose. My idea of vacation is driving to countryside to see the scenery, mountains, villages and valleys.

One more question - any chance to experience early snow in either of these two places (in middle October)? :)

Thanks,

JOE
by JOE RIZAL (guest)  

Re: Daisetsuzan vs Niseko 2014/8/27 14:40
Both are great scenic destinations and good for koyo in Hokkaido. In average years autumn foliage season in Daisetsuzan National Park starts a bit earlier and can be seen from mid Sept to mid Oct with the best time from late Sept to early Oct. As for the Niseko region it starts early Oct and peaks around mid Oct. So if koyo is your main goal Niseko should be your choice during mid Oct. But if you want a taste of first snow, with a bit of luck you stand a better chance in Daisetsuzen.

When we were in Sounkyo during Oct 9 and 10 we didn't experience snowfall but there were traces of snow and ice on top of Kurodake Ropeway station. Naturally there was no sign of koyo up there but down by the valley and enroute from Kamikawa to Sounkyo we did catch beautiful koyo on the mt slopes.

Koyo sites that we enjoyed while driving around the Niseko region during mid Oct included Shinsen-numa/Shinsen Marsh, Niseko Panorama Line and Oyunuma (not to be confused with the one in Noboribetsu).

Another highly recommended destination for autumn colour during mid Oct is Houheikyou Dam near Jozankei. It is closer to Sapporo than either Sounkyo or Niseko and some people manage to take in both the dam and Jozankei as a day trip from Sapporo.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Daisetsuzan vs Niseko 2014/8/27 17:03
I was in East Hokkaido until yesterday and in Abashiri and Akan Park the autumn colours have already started. That is, some trees are half-yellow already. It will take some time for the red colours, but indeed the more you go to the East, the earlier the koyo will be.
by AlexanderStankov rate this post as useful

reply to this thread