Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Izu Peninsula, which towns are important? 2014/8/28 05:15
Hi everybody,

I need an in-depth suggestion to spend two days in Izu Peninsula within my japanese trip.
On 12th november morning I'll leave Tokyo in that direction and, considering what I have understood of the area, I think to do this itinerary:

* 12th november.
- Tokyo-Atami (1h 30 min, train). Visit MOA museum and Kinomiya shrine.
- Ito... something to do here or skip?
- Atami-Jogasaki Coast (1h 30min, train). Stop here to walk or seightseeing boat cruise (30min).
- Jogasaki-Shimoda (1h, train). Perry ships related spots. Sleep here.

* 13th november.
- Shimoda-Cape Tarai (20min, Tokai bus), stop and see Cape Tarai or do not stop and go directly to Irozaki?
- Cape Tarai-Irozaki(20min, Tokai bus), lighthouse and shrine.
- Irozaki-Shimoda (40min, Tokai bus); Shimoda-Kawazu (30min, train); something to see in Kawazu?
- Kawazu-Seven Waterfalls (25min, bus). Sleep here.

* 14th november.
Departure from Izu Peninsula:
- Seven Waterfalls-Shuzenji (1h, bus), then train to Kansai area.

What do you think about?
Recommendations?
And about Ito, Cape Tarai and Kawazu?

Thank you in advance for any answers, I'll be very pleased to receive some help :)
by Iron81  

Re: Izu Peninsula, which towns + important? 2014/8/28 14:51
Hey,

If you have the time to watch; I made a couple of videos on Izu peninsula - https://www.youtube.com/user/nigelo92

You can probably skip Ito itself as within the town there's not much on offer in terms of sights. But there are places outside and around it though (Mt. Omuro), not sure if you have time for that though.
by SquishyMuffin rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Peninsula, which towns are important? 2014/8/29 00:50
Hi, I just saw some of your videos... very interesting!

You confirm my intention to cancel Ito from the itinerary.
Have you been in Kawazu and Cape Tarai?
by Iron81 rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Peninsula, which towns are important? 2014/8/29 01:47
From Atami, I would go straight through to Shimoda. Near the station is a ropeway (Cable car, Gondola) that goes up to a small mountain with wonderful views.
In Shimoda, try to stay at the Tokyu hotel. It is on a high place on the sea coast with good views.

While driving on the left may be difficult, I suggest you rent a car to drive around the coast to the western side. You can stop at some wonderful viewpoints along the way.

Don't go down the road with the monkey sign. They sit right in the road so you have to stop, then they climb on the car looking for food and it's nearly impossible to get rid of them.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Peninsula, which towns are important? 2014/8/29 02:45
I have considered the opportunity to rent a car, but you know if it's possible do rent it not in a big city?
It's my first time in Japan and I think it will be too difficult for me to drive on the opposite side and without clear road signs in a metropolis or even in a medium city... but around Izu Peninsula I think there are no problems!

Re: Izu Peninsula, which towns are important? 2014/8/29 09:51
- I think you can skip Ito, unless you are staying over at a hot spring inn around there.

- Please check the bus schedule in Izu area (generally speaking). They are not very frequent, so stopping at one place, having just a short look, then moving onto the next destination might not be that easy.

What we've done in the past is really simple like:
Day 1: Travel from Tokyo to Shimoda. Look around Shimoda, Irozaki, stay in Shimoda.
Day 2: Do the hike from Shimoda to Jogasaki along the coast, get back to Tokyo.

or

Day 1: Travel from Tokyo to Kawazu. Enjoy the Kawadu cherry blossoms, stay there.
Day 2: Travel up along the river to Seven Waterfalls (hike) then take the bus down again to Kawazu, then return to Tokyo.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Peninsula, which towns are important? 2014/8/29 10:59
You can see the best view on the west coast line. Start from the south (Shimoda etc.) then go up north (by car or bus) along the coast line. You can see the Mt. Fuji above the sea. In my opinion, that is the most besutiful view of Mt. Fuji.
Koganezaki is beautiful and you can see the view mentioned above between Koganezaki and Toi.
by b.bird (guest) rate this post as useful

Shimoda Rent-A-Car 2014/8/29 22:30
I'm from the U.S. Although I lived in Japan many years I drove only twice. Yes, driving on the left is challenging, but not difficult around Izu because there is not much traffic.

Renting a car in Shimoda was easy. You could probably drop it off in Mishima (JR & Sninkansen lines) or Numazu (JR line) to get back to Tokyo.

Or if you are going to Hakone, there are busses from those places.
by Dick H rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Peninsula, which towns are important? 2014/8/30 04:01
Thank you for all your answers!
As you recommend, I cancel Ito from my itinerary.

Regarding the rent of a car, you also "open my eyes". As you recommend me to do this, I have studied the opportunity and the difference of prices:

a) Bus&Trains. Atami-Shimoda-Irozaki-Shimoda-Seven Waterfalls-Mishima costs almost €95 - Y13,000 (in total for two persons).

b) Rent a car. Atami-east coast-Irozaki-west cost-Seven Waterfalls-Atami costs €110 for the renting and almost €20 for gas (total €130 - Y18,000).

So a risible difference of money with more comfort, less waste of time and opportunity to see almost *all* Izu Peninsula with car... as the entire trip around it will be almost 250km.
Furthermore taking/dropping a car in Atami (shinkasen station) and driving it outside the city shouldn't be too difficult, as the town only have 38.000 citizens, so is not big. Then we will go in Kinki/Kansai region.

Burning question: we will be there on 11-13th november. You know if it's possible to find snow in the roads through the center of Izu Peninsula, such as the way that goes from the west coast (Niishizu, Matsuzaki, etc) to Seven Waterfalls and then Shuzenji? As I have seen that is a mountainous area.
It should be dangerous?

Re: Izu Peninsula, which towns are important? 2014/8/30 10:16
It is true that there is not much traffic on the peninsula on regular weekdays, but especially the east coast can be very busy on weekends and during holiday seasons.

Driving on the left is easy. If you are a decent driver in your home country, you will have no problems driving in Japan. Just be extra careful when turning into a street. That it is when you most likely will enter the wrong side of the road. Just an extra amount of concentration is needed.

The roads on the entire peninsula are easy to drive. They are well covered by Google street view. So you can take a look yourself:
http://goo.gl/maps/PPXcx
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Peninsula, which towns are important? 2014/8/30 13:43
You will never find snow in Izu in November.
The weather in Izu is milder than in Tokyo.
Even in Tokyo, you never see any snow in November.
Yes, Izu is very mountainous, but the roads are good and the traffic is not thick especially in west coast.
by b.bird (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Izu Peninsula, which towns are important? 2014/8/30 20:46
Great!
So you think I'll be able to survive! :D
Watching google street view... it's true, there seems not to be difficulties driving in that area. And 11-13th november are tuesday, wednesday and thursday, maybe not busy days.
I take note of your driving recommendation!

reply to this thread