Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/29 05:27
Hi,

I'm traveling to Japan at the end of September for 3 weeks (alone) playing to stay at hostels / cheap hotels and wondering if I should book everything in advanced (prefer not to tbh) or would it be possible to just arrive and get a room/bed on the day.

Japan guide seem to indicate booking in advanced i the preferred way, but I don't think I'm flying in the high season and hoping it might be ok.

Any thoughts?
by gnesher  

Re: should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/29 11:11
It's possible but not recommended. See this similar thread:

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+117223
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/29 18:21
I wonder how much cheaper walk-in rates are and is it really worth it? Over having to search the next place to stay. If you book in advance you don't have to worry about it. I'd rather spend my precious time Japan doing fun stuff.

by reprazent rate this post as useful

Re: should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/29 18:37
I wonder how much cheaper walk-in rates are and is it really worth it?

It depends on the hotel, but in many cases walk-ins are charged at the regular non-discounted rates. Cheaper rates are often restricted to advance reservations and are limited in number.

I'd rather spend my precious time Japan doing fun stuff.

Definitely, you'll lose sightseeing time doing something that could have been done in advance.

Re: should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/29 18:38
Since I'm travelling alone it's simpler to meet / travel with people when you don't book things in advanced - it's not really about the money
by gnesher rate this post as useful

Re: should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/29 18:53
Of course, the bigger problem will be vacancy which largely depends on where you will be and when. Can you post an itinerary?

Re: should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/29 20:47
I was trying to avoid setting an Itinerary to allow for some flexibility but this is roughly what I'm looking at

Any suggestions/recommendations are always welcomed.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki have been taken off, simply because they don't seem to be worth the journey (I think)

28th of September - Land in Tokyo (08:00), get rail pass and off to Nagoya and spend a quiet day in town(been a 16 hour flight + 2ish hours by train)
29th of September - (Nagoya) day trip to Ise Shrines (is it worth it? Where can I leave my suitcase?) from there go to Takayama
30th of September - (Takayama) day in Takayama, then train to Kanazawa in the evening.
31th of September - (Kanazawa) full day
1st of October - (Kanazawa) leave to Shirakawa go first thing in the morning, spend the night (might switch wtih Kanazawa, not sure how to get to/from exactly)
2nd - 7th of October - (Shirakawa go) leave to Kyoto in the morning where I spend 6 nights
7th of October - (Kyoto) leave in the morning to Mount Koya, spend the day
8th of October - (Mount Koya) leave in the morning to Osaka
9th of October - (Osaka)
10th of October - day trip to Himeji? Seems to currently beeing renovated, not sure if worth the trip
11th of October - (Osaka) - travel to Hakone, spend day in hot springs
12th of October - (Hakone) travel around Hakone, leave to Tokyo in evening (or spend another night?)
13th of October - (Tokyo) 5 nights in Tokyo, possible 1-2 day trips included
18th of October - leave

Re: should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/30 00:56
I book in advance to avoid the stress of missing out on a safe place to sleep and store my luggage. It also makes it much easier to plan my days if I know what area of what city I'm starting off in. I've stayed at hostels over the last two trips, and you'd be surprised how many nights people come in literally begging for a room because nobody else has anything available.

But if you're comfortable finding other arrangements in that case, do as you please.
by Amyranth (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/30 01:55
I would only recommend booking your first night or nights in Japan early, other than that I would not recommend booking early because while youfre traveling you might find an interesting place you may want to stay or another hostel that cheaper or cheaper but better. From my experience I think capsule hotels are by far much better than hostels. Why, because you get your own private bed room quite area. With capsule hotel you share the lobby and shower together depending which one you stay at but you get your own personal room. The one I stayed in for 2 weeks in Tokyo had, TV, radio, a/c until. Some capsule has the door, but the one I stayed in had the pull down window thing that sucks cause you can hear people walk by or talk.

But to answer your main question
Yes, depending on the hostel and capsule hotel you do pay a little more on walk-in than when you book, I know this apply for capsule hotel. But with some capsule hotel if you stay there more than one day depending on the website you use to book your hotel and you stay there more than one night the rate are cheaper than hostels. in Tokyo this one capsule hotel change 3,500yen per night, walk-in, 3,500. The website set it up, 1 st night 3,500, 3 rd night, 3000, every night after that 2,500yen per-night.

Here the catch 22 with some capsule hotels. You have to, no question ask be out by the morning or check-out time and you can only return during check-in but you can leave your stuff here. But this was my experience.
by Seiko (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/30 01:58
Oh yeah, if your going to book, book on your last night or second to last night at that hotel. hell, i was booking my room on my way to the next location, find a room near any station that cheap..lol

Re: should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/30 02:15
Sorry almost forgot to add, i wouldnt recommended booking a room once you arrive at the airport unless you have internet access on your cell phone. once you land you land you gotta get moving

Re: should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/30 02:18
Thanks.

I think I'll book in a couple of key locations and leave the rest open.

Two questions remaining really:
1. Any idea how / if possible to get a Shirakawa go single room? Can't find how to do that and I'd really like to stay for a night

2. What's your thoughts of my itinerary there's tons to see but I'm wondering if I'm just wasting time/missing something out?

Re: should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/30 03:16
I believe depending on the travel season it is hard to get a room in Shirakawago cause everyone trying to stay there. Go with Hotels or Booking.com while youfre still home and if you have a smart phone downloads hotels and booking.com apps and see what come up. I google hotel in Shirakawago this is what I got.
http://www.agoda.com/city/shirakawa-go-jp.html

Your itinerary looks good, I always tell people to start their travel far out and work their way back to the airport and that what youfre doing. Ifm shock for a 3 week trip youfre not doing a 1 or 2 days in Hiroshima. From Osaka to Hiroshima its 3hr shinkansen ride. You can do Hiroshima and Miyajima within a day. Shoot, you can even squeeze in Nagasaki for that matter with a 3week travel. But itfs your trip, make it work for you.

Re: should I book in advance - Hostels October 2014/8/31 05:07
I basically traded Hiroshima with Shirakawa-go (and the surrounding area).

I've seen a lot of recommendations about Hiroshima, but couldn't really find anything to do there except the peace memorial park.

reply to this thread