Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hakone between Tokyo and Kyoto transfer? 2014/8/29 11:57
Hello everyone,

In fine-tuning my itinerary, I'm having second thoughts about going to Hakone, as I've read that unless the weather is nice, Hakone is missable, and I plan to go to Kinosaki to experience a ryokan/onsen anyway.

So now I'm trying to decide whether I should still try for a day trip to Hakone (instead of the previously-planned overnight), going to Hakone early in the morning and leaving for Kyoto in the afternoon. (I plan to get my luggage transferred to Kyoto via takkyubin.)

This is the schedule I was testing out at Hyperdia:

SHINJUKU - HAKONE-YUMOTO
7:00 - 8:40 via RomanceCar

ODAWARA - KYOTO
14:36 - 17:44 via Shinkansen

My concerns are:

1. Is that too short a time in Hakone to enjoy anything (9am - 2pm)? I like walking around, taking photos, soaking in the feel of the place, eating.
2. Any thoughts on arriving at Kyoto after sunset? I know Japan is safe even after dark, but as they say, always arrive at your destination in the morning so you have an easier time finding it. My lodging will be near Kyoto station (7 minutes walk), a small guesthouse/B&B only. Will the streets be well-lit, is there good foot traffic in general after dark?

Thank you!
by Angela (guest)  

Re: Hakone between Tokyo and Kyoto transfer? 2014/8/29 12:24
In fine-tuning my itinerary, I'm having second thoughts about going to Hakone, as I've read that unless the weather is nice, Hakone is missable, and I plan to go to Kinosaki to experience a ryokan/onsen anyway.

On the contrary, I find Hakone to be one of those places that is actually quite nice in the rain as it takes on a kinda of mysterious, lush atmosphere. But it's not for everybody, and definitely missable if your main goal is to see Mount Fuji.

1. Is that too short a time in Hakone to enjoy anything (9am - 2pm)? I like walking around, taking photos, soaking in the feel of the place, eating.

6 hours may be too short especially if you are relying on public transportation. It won't leave you much sightseeing time.

2. Any thoughts on arriving at Kyoto after sunset? I know Japan is safe even after dark, but as they say, always arrive at your destination in the morning so you have an easier time finding it.

Hmm, never heard that before, but yes Kyoto is pretty easy to navigate even at night and is extremely safe.

My lodging will be near Kyoto station (7 minutes walk), a small guesthouse/B&B only. Will the streets be well-lit, is there good foot traffic in general after dark?

Major streets will be well lit. Side streets maybe not so much. And 6pm is probably an ok checkin time with the B&B. Just check with them first if they are a small operation. There will be plenty of foot traffic on the main roads well into the evening.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone between Tokyo and Kyoto transfer? 2014/8/29 12:53
Now I'm even more confused! Haha. Yes, I would love to see Mount Fuji, but it's not the only thing I'm after; "mysterious, lush" atmosphere sounds good to me.

How about this -- given that I am getting to Hakone by 9am, would doing the Hakone Round Course and leaving for Kyoto at 4pm work? That would be a full 7 hours, and according to the page, the Hakone Round Course is anywhere from 3-5 hours depending on departure times, not including photo stops and lunch. Or is it still quite tight and I should go the full 8 hours?

I would arrive at Kyoto well after sunset but if the streets are well-lit and with good directions from my hosts I suppose it will be okay!
by Angela (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone between Tokyo and Kyoto transfer? 2014/8/29 18:50
Can't recall the exact time I reached Hakone Yumoto but after leaving my luggage at my Ryokan in Gora, I "begun" the round course from there at about 10.30am, think I took the 3pm bus leaving Moto-Hakone for Hakone Yumoto, reached before 3.30pm and checked out the shops there and at the Hakone Yumoto station till 5.30pm. If you don't really want to check out the shops, mostly selling pickles, I suppose you can leave at 4ish.
by CLLR rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone between Tokyo and Kyoto transfer? 2014/8/29 18:54
Forgot to add that 10.30am to 3.30pm included a short lunch and short stroll around Moto-Hakone and spending much time at Owakudani eating and shopping for souvenirs. The rest of the stops, whether for the ropeway or Lake Ashi cruise (Hakone Machi), I didn't get off to walk around.
by CLLR rate this post as useful

Re: Hakone between Tokyo and Kyoto transfer? 2014/8/29 20:24
Thanks CLLR! I'm now leaning towards skipping Hakone (for a next trip) instead of rushing through the place, which is really not any way to experience a new location. Also I might be slightly frayed around the edges by then after three days walking about in Tokyo and won't enjoy rushing about to meet train schedules.

Thanks so much yllwsmrf and CLLR :)
by Angela (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread