Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary Help - 14 Days in Japan 2014/8/30 04:36
Hi,

I know this question has been asked many times but I appreciate some feedback on this itinerary.

I am traveling with my husband to Japan for two weeks in late September. It is our first time in Japan and we can't understand a word of Japanese other than some Food Menu items :)

Below is a suggested itinerary we have come up with:

25-Sep Day 1 Tokyo - Arrive in the afternoon

26-Sep Day 2 Tokyo – Site seeing

27-Sep Day 3 Tokyo – Day trip to Nikko ?

28-Sep Day 4 Tokyo – site seeing

29-Sep Day 5 Tokyo – Day trip to Yokohama ?

30-Sep Day 6 Osaka –Site seeing in Osaka

1-Oct Day 7 Osaka – Day trip to Kobe (not sure is this is worth doing?)

2-Oct Day 8 Osaka – Day trip to Nara

3-Oct Day 9 Kinosaki –Overnight at a Ryokon. (not sure is this is worth doing?)

4-Oct Day 10 Kyoto – Site seeing

5-Oct Day 11 Kyoto – Side trip to Himeji

6-Oct Day 12 Kyoto - Site seeing

7-Oct Day 13 Miyajima Overnight / Mount Koya Overnight at a temple ?

8-Oct Day 14 Tokyo

9-Oct Day 15 Fly back to Melbourne at 11:30am from Tokyo

Questions :

1- We are staying in Tokyo for 5 days. I would like to have 2 X full day side trips but not sure which ones to choose from Nikko, Hakkone, Kamakura, Fuji Five Lakes , Yokohama or Takayama

2- We really want to experience a Ryokan and hot springs but not sure if Kinosaki will be a good choice in October. Is it worth doing this after Tokyo and stay in Fuji Five Lakes or anywhere else along the way ?

3- Which one would be better , staying overnight at a temple at Mount Koya or going to Yokohama and Miyajima and staying overnight at a ryokan? Any suggestion for a good ryokan?

4- Will Japan Rail Pass cover all of the above places ?

5- Am I doing too much in 2 weeks ? Considering we will have to carry our luggage and using trains, will it be too much of a hustle?

6- Any comment on the above itinerary? Any other suggestion or a must see worth doing?

I have only booked my hotels for the first 8 days , need to firm up my plan to book the rest of my travel , appreciate any suggestion from the experts and seasoned travelers.

Thank you in advance.

Reihaneh.
by Reihaneh (guest)  

Re: Itinerary Help - 14 Days in Japan 2014/8/30 10:47
We are staying in Tokyo for 5 days. I would like to have 2 X full day side trips but not sure which ones to choose from Nikko, Hakkone, Kamakura, Fuji Five Lakes , Yokohama or Takayama

Takayama is not viable as a daytrip from Tokyo. As for the others, please read about them and then decide based on personal interest, mood and weather conditions. You do not really need to decide until the day of travel.

2- We really want to experience a Ryokan and hot springs but not sure if Kinosaki will be a good choice in October.

Kinosaki is nice at any time of the year. I think it is a great idea to incorporate an onsen ryokan stay in your trip. I think Kinosaki is the better choice than the Fuji Five Lakes because of the pleasant town atmosphere where everybody walks around in yukata.

Which one would be better , staying overnight at a temple at Mount Koya or going to Yokohama and Miyajima and staying overnight at a ryokan? Any suggestion for a good ryokan?

Staying at a temple at Koyasan is the most unique of the choices. Highly recommended. A very special experience. Staing at a ryokan on Miyajima is also highly recommended as you can easily experience the island in its calm state in the late evening and early morning. I had a bad experience at the Iwaso ryokan (bad service), but the others I have stayed so far (Arimoto and Kurayado Iroha) were nice, although not outstanding.

4- Will Japan Rail Pass cover all of the above places ?

Mount Koya, Hakone and the Fuji Five Lakes are not covered. Also, some local transportation is not covered.

5- Am I doing too much in 2 weeks ?

If you like a medium to fast pace of travel, I think it is a good pace.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Help - 14 Days in Japan 2014/8/30 19:02
To add on to Uji.

Fuji five lakes has some nice scenery, and walking up to a sunrise Fuji is an experience in itself. However, Kinosaki is a more authentic Japan experience. Great sunrise/sets and mountains are available in Rockies/Alps. (Though, Fuji is the tallest mountain that isn't of a mountain range)

If you would like something more city-like choose Yokohama. Nikko for a more traditional feel. As you would not be spending time in Kyoto, I believe Nikko would be good for a more varied experience. If however, you are skipping Kyoto cause it doesn't seem to be our type of city then Yokohama might be a better choice.
There is always Enoshima/Kamakura to consider.

As Uji mentioned, you could decide on the day of travel, how was your first 3 days in Tokyo? What do you want to do/see/eat?
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Re: Itinerary Help - 14 Days in Japan 2014/8/31 01:35
Thank you Uji and Joshua for your prompt response.

I have decided to change my itinerary to cut down a bit on travel time, was wondering what you think of this one compared to the previous one. I have decided to skip Kobe and Hiroshima and Miyajima for this trip.

Day 1 Tokyo Arrive in the morning - Sightseeing in Tokyo
Day 2 Tokyo Day trip to Nikko
Day 3 Tokyo Sightseeing in Tokyo
Day 4 Tokyo Day trip to Yokohama
Day 5 Tokyo Sightseeing in Tokyo
Day 6 Kyoto Sightseeing in Kyoto
Day 7 Kyoto Sightseeing in Kyoto
Day 8 Kyoto Sightseeing in Kyoto
Day 9 Kinosaki Onsen and ryokan
Day 10 Osaka Sightseeing in Osaka
Day 11 Osaka Day trip to Nara
Day 12 Mount Koya Stay at a temple
Day 13 Tokyo Sightseeing in Tokyo
Day 14 Tokyo Depending on how we feel, may be a trip to Kamakura
Day 15 Fly back at noon

Joshua, I haven't made detail itinerary yet but we enjoy the nature, food and seeing the culture as well as the late night shopping and street food and lively crowds so am not sure if you think Kyoto deserves more time but I am open to suggestions.

One more question about the hotel, I am staying at Hyatt Regency Tokyo (2-7-2 Nishi-Shinjuku) what do you think of the location?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Reihaneh.
by Reihaneh (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread