Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is this 1-Day Kyoto Tour itinerary doable? 2014/8/30 19:57
Hi! I'm planning to go to Japan April next year with my aunt and with tour package that we avail, there is a 1-Free day of sorts. So I just wanted to ask if this itinerary is doable

Let's assume that we will depart from the hotel at about 8 or 9a.m.

-take JR Nara line to Inari Station
Fushimi Inari

-take Keihan Main line to Tofukuji Station
Tokufuji Shrine

-take Keihan Main Line to Kiyomizu-gojo

Kiyomizudera
[full-on walk trip]
Kiyomizudera temple
Sannenzaka
Ninenzaka
Higashiyama district
Kodaiji Temple
Yasaka shrine

walk to Gion station and take Keihan Main Line to Demachiyanagi and transfer Eizan Kurama Line

Kurama Onsen

------------
Is this itinerary doable for the whole day? or should I lessen the trips? If so, which should I remove? (I really want to try the onsen :D )
by gaijindesu (guest)  

Re: Is this 1-Day Kyoto Tour itinerary doable? 2014/8/31 07:34
Is this itinerary doable for the whole day?

It depends on how early you start in the morning and on your travel pace. If you leave early and travel at a not too-slow pace, it can be done in a day. The onsen is open until 21:00. Until 20:00 in the winter.

By the way, for travel between Tofukuji and Kiyomizudera I recommend to take city bus number 202 or 207 instead of the train.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Is this 1-Day Kyoto Tour itinerary doable? 2014/8/31 20:01
Thanks for the reply :)

I'm planning to leave the hotel by 8:00 or 9:00. The pace, I think it will not be super slow since I tend to walk a bit fast, but I want to be in a pace where I can enjoy the view and not rush.

Oh, okay :) I'll take your suggestion about taking the bus from tofukuji to kiyomizudera :)
by gaijindesu (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Is this 1-Day Kyoto Tour itinerary doable? 2014/8/31 20:09
Doable, but just a recommendation, unless you're going for the autumn colours (which you don't seem to be) skip Tofukuji and use the saved time to go to Kuramadera instead, more impressive out of season I think personally.

(And if time you can stop to check Kibune Jinja out too, maybe do the hike to Kuramadera if you want also).
by TheTripod rate this post as useful

Re: Is this 1-Day Kyoto Tour itinerary doable? 2014/8/31 23:50
Thanks! I want to go to Tofukuji for the temple :) I already planned to go to Kurama for the onsen, If I'll have the time, maybe I'll take a look at the temples there.

About Kibune, I doubt I'll go there. I'm not much into hiking and the attraction that I want to see there is not yet available. (The platform above the river thing)

Anyway, I'm thinking of buying Surutto cards. I just want to ask if they can be used in the Keihan and Eizan line?

Re: Is this 1-Day Kyoto Tour itinerary doable? 2014/9/1 20:19
Yes the Surutto Kansai pass is valid on Keihan and Eizan, used them myself on them, just make sure the cost saving is worth it for your itinerary.

Re: Is this 1-Day Kyoto Tour itinerary doable? 2014/9/1 23:54
I would just like to point out that most tour companies would include a night or more at a hotel with an onsen.
Next I would also like to say that Kurama onsen isn't anything special. It is nice to soak after a hike. But the water doesn't feel that refreshing, the showering facilities are below that of a usual hotel, and the scenery isn't anything worth the 10 min walk from the station.
I brought a friend along and am disappointed to say his first and only onsen experience is of Kurama.
But after that Kurama mountain hike maybe it wasnt that bad for him.

Please save your time and see some other attraction in Kyoto, or take a bus to Arima, or use lonely planet/Google to find some obscure onsen within Kyoto city limits.
by Joshua Hugh rate this post as useful

Kyoto station 2014/9/8 16:44
Thanks for the suggestions!

Now, I've done research at how Kyoto station looks like, and man, it is huge!

So, I'm kind of intimidated by it. HAHAHA! Umm, is Kyoto station idiot-tourist proof?

I'll take JR Nara line to Fushimi Inari and it is in platform 8,9,10. Could anyone kindly tell me what floor is this platform in? I've been looking at maps of Kyoto station endlessly but I just can't get it. I'll most probably be staying at New Miyako hotel which is at Hachijo exit side.

It seems like my aunt won't be coming with me :( so I'm all alone in this journey hahaha xD

Re: Is this 1-Day Kyoto Tour itinerary doable? 2014/9/8 16:52
Like any major JR station the signage is all dual-language, just follow the signs to the Nara line.

Re: Is this 1-Day Kyoto Tour itinerary doable? 2014/9/8 17:01
Thanks for the suggestions!

Now, I've done research at how Kyoto station looks like, and man, it is huge!

So, I'm kind of intimidated by it. HAHAHA! Umm, is Kyoto station idiot-tourist proof?

I'll take JR Nara line to Fushimi Inari and it is in platform 8,9,10. Could anyone kindly tell me what floor is this platform in? I've been looking at maps of Kyoto station endlessly but I just can't get it. I'll most probably be staying at New Miyako hotel which is at Hachijo exit side.

It seems like my aunt won't be coming with me :( so I'm all alone in this journey hahaha xD

not idiot proof in my case. i got lost for at least half an hour trying to locate the exit to Kyoto Century Hotel which is pretty nearby one of the exits, even after enquiring with the information counter. blame my lack of thought for the hotel map.

in any case, the JR line to Nara is at the basement, somewhere down the stairs from the Menneken Belgian Waffle.

From the Hajicho East Exit, if i didn't remember wrongly, you walk down Etsy Road and towards the end where the 137 yen (?) kaiten sushi is and down the stairs... someone can confirm?
by CLLR rate this post as useful

reply to this thread