Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

9D itinerary feedback 2014/8/31 19:16
Hello (again)!

I know this is a really common question and I've been looking through the similar threads, as well. But I've finally settled exactly where I'm going to be staying (i.e. lodgings have been booked) so I've started fine-tuning my itinerary.

I am going by myself so I won't have to cater to anyone else. I'm a slow-medium pace traveler who likes to take the time to stroll and take photos, predominantly landscape/architecture/street photograpy. I'm more interested in country, laid-back environments and atmospheres than bustling city life, but of course I've never been to Tokyo so maybe it will convert me (a bit)?

Most days I am planning to leave at, like, 6am, after reading posts about the 7-9am rush hour. Not ENTIRELY sure if I will be able to do this, but I will definitely try. I've had a bit of help cobbling this together from the full/half day schedules here, but have modified some.

Day 1 (Saturday)
Arrive at Narita Airport 8am, check in/leave bags at lodging in Asakusa
Kaminarimon
Nakamise Dori
Sensoji Temple
Around the Temple
(Are there other nearby, worthwhile places I can squeeze in the afternoon before dark? Maybe Ueno Park?)

Day 2 (Sunday)
Imperial East Garden
Outer Park
Ginza (not planning to shop, just probably walk around/people-watch)
Marunouchi
Akihabara
(A friend told me I'd probably not see a lot of cosplayers around Akihabara, when I've read otherwise--is this true? Also keen to check out the Yodobashi Camera store, but I might end up running away to fight temptation...)

Day 3 (Monday)
Kawagoe (morning)
Harajuku
Meiji Shrine
Shibuya

Day 4 (Tuesday)
Shinkansen to Kyoto, check in (near Kyoto station)
Nijo Castle
Kyoto Imperial Palace
Kinkakuji
Ryoanji
Ninnaji
Tenryuji
Bamboo Groves
Togetsukyo Bridge

Day 5 (Wednesday)
Ginkakuji
Philosopher's Path
Nanzenji
Keage Incline (is this skippable? on the way to Heian Shrine? it looks like it but I want to be sure since the day schedule suggestion includes this)
Heian Shrine (will be trying to around the area on 2pm for the Jidai Festival -- good idea or not?)
Kodaiji
Higashiyama Streets
Kiyomizudera

Day 6 (Thursday)
Nara

Day 7 (Friday)
Fushimi Inari shrine
Travel to Kinosaki
Onsen, etc.

Day 8 (Saturday)
Kinosaki
Ropeway at some point

Day 9 (Sunday)
Last minute souvenir shopping, maybe?
Departure from Kansai Airport 11:30pm

How does all that look like?

I also have two extra questions:

1. Regarding Himeji castle -- I am quite keen to see this but initially removed it from my list after reading that it was under renovation. I'm trying to figure out (from http://translate.city.himeji.lg.jp/LUCHIMEJI/ns/tl.cgi/http://www.city...) if, by end October, it will be worth it to go? I don't mind seeing cranes and some scaffolding but if there's nothing else to do that look at the progress, should I definitely leave this for a next trip?

2. Gion -- I was thinking of spending a late afternoon onwards here to maiko-spot (and unobtrusively photo, if I can) and have dinner, but from what I've read it's all expensive restaurants, and some areas might not be too safe for a lone female at night (who is not familiar with the neighborhood). Any thoughts?

Thank you so much in advance :)
by Angela (guest)  

Re: 9D itinerary feedback 2014/9/1 12:27
All of them looks reasonably pace and you would have ample time to enjoy the sites, except for day 5 which might be a little packed depending how early you start.

1. I have been visiting the original castle mainly while in Japan, out of two times I am in Kansai area, I skipped Himeji entirely. I want to see Himeji when it's no longer renovating regardless if there is scaffolding or not, mainly personal preference especially if you know you will be returning to Japan in 2015 or later, Himeji finish renovating in 2015. You could visit Hikone castle though.

2. In general, Kyoto is rather safe or at least it feel safer if you compare to Tokyo. Though, alleys leading from Gion main street have many pink shops/bars/clubs, however since few years ago when Kyoto tighten law on this establishment, they no longer tout openly. I heard/read that for lone female traveler you might be approached for "nampa", which is pretty much the most "dangerous" stuff you will encounter as long you exercise your common sense on safety as you are in any country.

If you see Maiko on the street, you could ask them for permission to take photo, most the time they will probably be ok with it. Just matter of courtesy etc.

Restaurant wise, there are many high end restaurants in Kyoto, but there are also many manageable ones, depending on your interest. I prefer to find my restaurants at dark alley outside tourist area, most the times they are hidden gems, though they mostly do not have English/Photo menu.
by vinces7 rate this post as useful

Re: 9D itinerary feedback 2014/9/1 12:33
I will be going for the first time next week to japan. I think your day 4 and 5 in kyoto look very packed (I was just told similarly in my kyoto 2 day thread). Maybe hit the places you want to see first and have a few backups if u find yourself with extra time.
by Shogun26 rate this post as useful

Re: 9D itinerary feedback 2014/9/1 12:56
Day 4 can be done reasonably if you use taxi on your Arashiyama section (back to or from Kyoto). Day 5 with addition of Heian Shrine or Kodaiji, it becomes really packed. Probably prioritize which sites you want to go and put others in your "if i have time" list.

For day 4, Imperial Palace is HUGE, and you need prior reservation to enter the Palace otherwise you can just roam on the outside, the place is really huge and will eat up considerable amount of time just to see the vastness of the place, though I guess you will be visiting Imperial palace in Tokyo while you are at Marunouchi?

Initially, I didn't see the Imperial Palace, with it, your day 4 might be slightly packed. Go to Tokyo Imperial Palace if you have time and decide after that if you want to go to Kyoto ones, assuming you not making any reservation for guide tour inside.

Re: 9D itinerary feedback 2014/9/1 14:31
Thanks so much for the feedback!

if you know you will be returning to Japan in 2015 or later, Himeji finish renovating in 2015. You could visit Hikone castle though.

I did read about Hikone, it looks a bit more out of the way than Himeji would have been, which is why I haven't included it. But you're right, I do plan to come back (probably 2016 or later) so I'll leave it for a different trip.

I think your day 4 and 5 in kyoto look very packed (I was just told similarly in my kyoto 2 day thread).

I think I remember that thread, too! :) My Day 5 is pretty much the Eastern Kyoto Full Day suggested here (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3950_eastern_kyoto_full.html) with Keage Incline and Yasaka Shine removed, should I shorten it even more? The page even seemed to suggest I would have time for a Gion dinner (which I don't think I would have time for, even removing two places from the itinerary).

Day 4 I agree looking back at it now. Initially it was just northern Kyoto and Arashiyama, but I thought I might do central Kyoto "on the way" to the north...which looks silly now.

Imperial Palace is HUGE, and you need prior reservation to enter the Palace otherwise you can just roam on the outside, the place is really huge and will eat up considerable amount of time just to see the vastness of the place, though I guess you will be visiting Imperial palace in Tokyo while you are at Marunouchi?

No, I had oly planned to view it through the Imperial East Garden but no plans to go inside the Tokyo Imperial Palace. As above I actually added Nijo and the Imperial Palace as a last-minute addition (like...as I was writing this up) so I'll probably drop them both, or move them elsewhere. Since there seems to be English tours available at the Kyoto Imperial Palace I'll probably stick to the Kyoto one--unless you think the Tokyo one is a better experience?
by Angela (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 9D itinerary feedback 2014/9/1 16:27
Technically, Kyoto to Hikone only takes about 50min or so, and if you are lucky/check schedule you might be able to see their mascot Hiko-nyan performance. (We were lucky and manage to saw it) but probably not as beautiful and spectacular as Himeji. Hikone castle is one of the 12 original castles just like Himeji castle.

Day 4, best to use taxi for Arashiyama trip, that will save a lot of time, and will probably make day 4 easier to manage. Though I am not sure how Imperial Palace tour will affects the itinerary for the day. I've never joined any of the reservation tour so I cannot comment any on this.

Day 5, if you start early and plan well+ limit yourself in each area, you could probably do it. Just be aware of the distance if you ware walking from Ginkakuji to Kiyomizudera. Also depends how much you want to explore Higashiyama and whether you will be going to the trail behind Kiyomizudera.

For your Nara trip, are you staying in Nara or returning to Kyoto?

Re: 9D itinerary feedback 2014/9/1 17:18
I'm having a bit of trouble trying to fit Nijo Castle in as it is, so maybe it's best I skip Hikone for now!

I've been moving things around a bit for the Kyoto parts of my trip and have worked out to visit Nijo at the end, when I return from Kinosaki; and dropping the Imperial Palace. I'll just leave at 10:30 from Kinosaki rather than 12pm so that I've got about five hours in Kyoto to spare. Hopefully that's enough for Nijo + shopping near Kyoto station.

Right now, my Day 4 is down to:

Kinkakuji
Ninnaji
Tenryuji
Bamboo Groves
Togetsukyo Bridge

Which sounds alright, but while looking things up I realized I have no idea when a good lunch stop for that route might be. Are there places to eat near Ninnaji or Tenryuji?

I'm currently rethinking visiting Kiyomizudera, as while trying to gauge how much time I'd end up spending in each place, I've found out reconstruction work is taking place.

So for Day 5, I'm thinking of paring this down to:

Ginkakuji
Philosopher's Path
Nanzenji
Heian Shrine
Kodaiji (45 minutes)
Higashiyama streets

I do have a few questions on the Day 5 itinerary though:

1. Is there a way to Heian Shrine from Nanzenji that is shorter than Keage Incline?

2. After Higashiyama, it looks like it might be worth my while to head to Gion instead of backtracking to Higashiyama station. Does this make sense? Will Gion-Shijo station be closer than Higashiyama station?

3. Again, the food question -- would there be places to eat along Nanzenji to Heian, or no?

For your Nara trip, are you staying in Nara or returning to Kyoto?

I will be returning to Kyoto. I haven't planned out exactly what I will be doing in Nara, but I will be sticking to what's in the Park. Welcome to hear any inputs :)

Thank you so much :)

Re: 9D itinerary feedback 2014/9/1 18:06
I remember there are a few cafe and restaurants at Arashiyama, we had our lunch there too.

The day 4 and 5 looks more manageable now, just check the opening hour for Nijo Castle, in case you have spare time for it by the end of day 4 (i doubt it tho hehe)

1. Both the times I was in Kyoto, I did not visit Heian Temple since it was a little out of the way from everything else, though I manage to get a glimpse of it on the bus while traveling. So no idea on this.

2. Personally, I will just walk to Gion through Yashaka Shrine from Higashiyama. (Just put Kiyomizudera in your if-i-have-time-list)

3. There should be restaurants around tourist attraction sites, eg. I had my lunch before visiting Ginkakuji in one of the alleys before the street leading to the temple.

Depending on your pace and time, you could drop by at Uji to grab some Uji tea if you want some for souvenir etc (though you could also get them in Kyoto, there is a famous shop that sells them in Kyoto and have English guide how to make them etcetc)

Fushimi-inari is another option to consider when going back from Nara to Kyoto, both of them are on JR Nara Line. During my last visit, I purposely design my Fushimi-inari trip so that I would visit it during the night, though I had to turn back halfway when it's getting too dark to climb up the trail.

For Nara, we used Kintetsu line to get there, and after obtaining a map in one of the cafe where we get our breakfast, we went to Karakuri museum and other museum nearby. After that we went to Naramachi (more like wandering around and found the place) then Kofukuji, Nara Park etc. Basically, we went for a detour in the town before heading to the sites.

Re: 9D itinerary feedback 2014/9/1 18:28
just check the opening hour for Nijo Castle, in case you have spare time for it by the end of day 4 (i doubt it tho hehe)

Yeah, I was thinking of trying to fit it in, but it would probably be cutting it too close to closing time...unless one of the other places underwhelms me, I suppose.

Thanks for the tip regarding Fushimi Inari! I did think I could stop by Fushimi Inari on the way to Nara (I have the JR Kansai Wide Pass), but I has assumed it might be better to head to Nara while it's early. The Craft Museum does look rather interesting. How many hours did you end up staying for?

Re: 9D itinerary feedback 2014/9/1 18:34
Nara?
We went early about 8-9am, we reached Nara before 10am for sure as most shops were still closed apart from some cafes/restaurants just about to open.

So it's probably 9-10am when we were in Nara, if i remember right we returned to the Kintetsu station around 4pm, though I skipped some sites that are a little out of the way.

Re: 9D itinerary feedback 2014/9/1 18:38
Okay, thank you! It's about the same time I was thinking I would be heading back for the day trip, I'm glad I might have some time to head to the town and check things out as well.

Thank you so much for all the help!

reply to this thread