Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel Tohoku prefecture 4 days 2014/9/1 13:24
Hi my families and I will be arriving Haneda on 18 Dec and we plan to head straight to Tohoku for 4 days. This is the plan

18Dec Stay at Sendai, visit Matsushima
19Dec stay at Zao onsen
20Dec stay at Akiu Onsen or Ginsan onsen or others
21Dec Stay at Sendai, visit Yamadera

I have some questions which I hope anyone can help me

1) Will it be snowing at Zao, Akiu and Ginsan onsen from 18 dec ?

2) Are there any bus that travel from Sendai to Zao onsen on Dec. What will be the bus timing? Other method to travel there?

3) I have come across Akiu onsen from the old forum, may I know where actually is this place, what attraction can we see there.

4) As I have not decided yet, between Akiu and Ginsan, which will you recommend to stay or maybe you have better places to recommend. We prefer snowy area and nice scenic.

5) Since the second day will be at Zao Onsen, how to travel to Akiu or Ginsan from Zao Onsen, if we chose either one?

6) Lastly,Is the Tohoku safe from radiation now?

by jasin (guest)  

Re: Travel Tohoku prefecture 4 days 2014/9/1 15:45
Weather-wise no one could predict the weather, but in average year snow will start mid Dec for the places you intend to visit, especially Zao and Ginzan Onsen. Chances are not as high in Sendai, Akiu and Matsushima though.

Last winter there was direct bus service from Sendai to Zao but only on selected dates. Keep monitoring the webpage for update information this coming winter.
http://www.yamakobus.co.jp/kousoku/se-yaza2.html

Akiu Onsen is not far west of Sendai and can be done as a day trip from Sendai if not staying overnight. There is direct bus service between the 2 places in less than an hour. Besides an onsen destination not far from town are scenic Rairai-kyo Gorge and Akiu O-taki Falls which seem to be the main draws for visitors especially during autumn foliage season.

We had a memorable stay in Ginzan Onsen during winter and the snow scene is captivating. From Zao Onsen you can take train to Oishida (with a transfer in Yamagata) for a connecting shuttle to the ryokan of your choice.

It is safe to travel in the Tohoku region as long as you stay away from the restricted zone of the nuclear plant.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Re: Travel Tohoku prefecture 4 days 2014/9/1 18:30
Thanks William

May I know what is another option to travel to Zao Onsen from Sendai if we are unable to take the bus?

by jasin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel Tohoku prefecture 4 days 2014/9/1 18:56
by trains are better (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel Tohoku prefecture 4 days 2014/9/1 19:08
And then walk from Zao station to Zao Onsen ? :D
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Travel Tohoku prefecture 4 days 2014/9/1 21:55
You can take train from Sendai to Yamagata from where there is bus connection with Zao Onsen.
http://www.yamakobus.co.jp/kousoku/yamagata-zao.html

Note that Zao JR station is not the station for Zao Onsen. It is about 15 km to Zao Onsen from Zao JR station and I am not aware of any public transport between the 2 places. Below is some more access information for Zao Onsen.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7926.html

by William5 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread