Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying camera and laptop in Osaka 2014/9/2 16:54
Hubby and I will be in Osaka later this month. We are interested to get a Canon Powershot camera (still undecided on exact model) and my hubby is exploring whether it is possible/worthwhile to get a made in Japan laptop for professionals with English OS and US keyboard.

I'm hoping to get the camera asap and am staying in Namba, any recommendations for shops that will have English speaking staff other than Bic Camera or Yodobashi?

Also where will be a best place nearby to look for made in Japan laptops for with English OS and US keyboards?

TIA
by cwen (guest)  

Re: Buying camera and laptop in Osaka 2014/9/3 11:48
Are you in Japan now and will go to Osaka soon or are you in your home country (maybe USA?)?

Usually, for those living in the US, prices for cameras and laptops are very reasonable in the US and not so much in Japan for the same/near same model. If you buy a camera in Japan, they usually come with Japanese instructions and menus, so you'll have to convert it to English, if possible. But the price you get from Amazon is much lower than you'll get in Yodobashi or another big retailer.

If you are not in the US, please disregard most of this, but the fact is, Japan may not have the best prices for the latest models. They may have good prices for not-as-current models.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Buying camera and laptop in Osaka 2014/9/3 12:00
Where are you from (I'm guessing SE Asia)? As mentioned you'll have to compare prices to see if it's even worth purchasing in Japan.

I'm hoping to get the camera asap and am staying in Namba, any recommendations for shops that will have English speaking staff other than Bic Camera or Yodobashi?

Most places won't have English speaking staff. FYI, Canon cameras are easy to set to English in the menus. However, the warranty likely doesn't cover you back in your home country.

Also where will be a best place nearby to look for made in Japan laptops for with English OS and US keyboards?

Laptops with English OS and/or keyboards are not usually sold in store and if available are often sold direct as special order items. They're easy to get from Apple, but much more difficult or impossible to purchase from other manufacturers. Do you have anything specific in mind?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Re: Buying camera and laptop in Osaka 2014/9/3 13:07
Have checked prices of a few models and it's about usd 60-100 cheaper in Japan than in my home country. We have shopped in Bic and Yodobashi before in Japan years ago, but just want to know if there are any other recommended smaller shops ard Namba or Den Den Town that could offer better prices.

We're not that concerned about warranty as we rarely had small cameras giving any us issues in the first year anyway.
by cwen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Buying camera and laptop in Osaka 2014/9/3 14:06
just want to know if there are any other recommended smaller shops ard Namba or Den Den Town that could offer better prices.

You will definitely be able to beat the prices of Yodobashi or Bic at the smaller shops, but they are also the places where you will not likely find English speaking staff. Also, you can't get the tax discounts by shopping at most of the smaller stores.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread