Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Disclosing health problems on applications 2014/9/3 03:52
I live in England, and, in the future, i would like to move to Japan, and, thus, i am going to start looking for a job there soon enough. However, i suffer from depression, and aspergers. I want to be completely honest on my job applications, but i get a feeling that if i put on my job application that i have these problems that no-one will want to hire me. Please give me some guidance on this issue. Im not a dishonest person, and i dont want to lie on my application. What should i do?
by alexwerny  

Re: Disclosing health problems on applications 2014/9/3 11:35
While I may not have applied to many jobs in my life (have been at my current employer nearly 19 years), I have yet to see an application that requires someone to disclose medical information up-front. That said, honesty is the best approach, but I don't know if they ask those kinds of things in Japan.
by John B digs Japan rate this post as useful

Re: Disclosing health problems on applications 2014/9/3 11:37
I want to be completely honest on my job applications, but i get a feeling that if i put on my job application that i have these problems that no-one will want to hire me.

Not exactly sure how you would disclose this on your application, and I think it's probably illegal for an employer to discriminate based on these things. But in practice, yes these types of thing will probably limit your opportunities, and they will be hard to hide, especially once you get to the interview stage of the process.

On a side note, have you visited Japan yet? Best to come over as a tourist and see how you like it. Also what are your job qualifications? Do you even qualify for a work visa in the first place? Have you looked into the working holiday visa?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread