Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taking a Philosopher's Walk in late October 2014/9/7 18:52
Is it worth it?

Actually I want to see the autumn foliage, but I live on the equator. I'm afraid November would be too cold.

What about early November? Does the path look beautiful during autumn?

Thanks.
by fujisaku  

Re: Taking a Philosopher's Walk in late October 2014/9/8 11:43
The cherry trees along the paths change colors a week or two earlier than maple trees, but the color of the cherry trees is not as spectacular as the color of maple trees. I estimate that it is usually most colorful around mid November. October is likely too early.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Taking a Philosopher's Walk in late October 2014/9/10 14:33
What about 7 November?

Is it true that in autumn, it doesn't look as great as during spring?

Is it still worth walking through the entire path? Or should I just go to Ginkakuji and Honenin, then take a bus to Nanzenji?

thanks.
by fujisaku rate this post as useful

Re: Taking a Philosopher's Walk in late October 2014/9/10 16:01
The walk is worth it any time of the year, regardless of foliage. It isn't very long, and it is generally sloping slightly downhill. And there is a great ramen place along the way. Getting decent foliage is just a bonus.
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taking a Philosopher's Walk in late October 2014/9/10 20:12
Personally, I feel the walk is disappointing in anything other than foliage (sorry Pious: and that ramen place isnft open all the time..we were very disappointed! Nice shop though....)
After seeing it in Cherry Blossoms times, we found the autumn foliage not worth the effort, but enjpyed the walk for other reasons, as we love Honen-in.
if its purely foliage you are after, then go to Eikando Temple during the day, Koadaiji temple during the evening light up, and Tenruju in Arashiyama then walk don to the Sagano river and see the foliage on the other side of the river...
have fun!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Re: Taking a Philosopher's Walk in late October 2014/9/10 20:53
I visited Kyoto during Autumn 2012 and 2013 and will return again this November 19th. till Dec.3rd. The 2013 visit to Philosopher's path was around 27th November and my photos show many Cherry blossom trees in Autumn colour and many Japanese Maples overhanging the canal in glorious reds and yellows. The year 2013 I was there earlier (5th Nov.) and the colours were only just beginning to change. The walk is pleasant with several interesting Temples and side streets with lots of trees overhanging the garden fences to explore. I will certainly visit again this year and would certainly recommend the walk, it's a pleasant break from the 'concrete jungle ' of the city and no traffic and yes there are Japanese maples to view.
by Barrieaw rate this post as useful

Re: Taking a Philosopher's Walk in late October 2014/9/11 05:08
I'd be devastated if I did the walk and the ramen place wasnt open. It became a bit of a tradition!
by Lazy Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taking a Philosopher's Walk in late October 2014/9/11 10:51
What is the Ramen restaurant name?
Is it often crowded?
by fujisaku rate this post as useful

reply to this thread