Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Senmon-Gakkou Questions 2014/9/13 15:55
Hello Everyone,

I am nearing my final year as a Japanese Language student and one of the plans that I am considering is to enroll in a Senmon Gakkou. I already have a list of Schools in mind. How difficult is it really to find a job if you graduate in a Senmon Gakkou as compared to graduating in an undergraduate or Master's/Ph.d Degree? Besides the difference in starting salaries and benefits, do the companies have a certain impression on people who graduate in Senmon Gakkou?

Thank you
Kind Regards
by Miggy (guest)  

Re: Senmon-Gakkou Questions 2014/9/14 07:55
If you are a foreigner, it is difficult to find a job in Japan despite you have a University degree. I would say that one in five international students successfully get a job in Japan.
You may find a job with International trading snd wholesales companies such as Uniqlo, Bridgeston and Ajinomoto which trading internationally.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Senmon-Gakkou Questions 2014/10/1 18:52
I'm not sure what your choice of profession is, as it depends on the economy and market as well.

However as an international student, by going to a senmon gakkou entitles you to a working visa (should you receive offer of employment first) even without a 4 year degree.

1. If internships are part of your course, it may be a good chance for you to gain experience, and if they like you, you might get job offers after graduation - you never know.

2. Every/Most (?) senmon gakkou offers career support - mock interviews, resume writing tips, recommendation to companies etc. Make full use of that. People coming in from overseas don't have that support. This is where you have the edge over those who are not in Japan currently.

3. Assuming that you can post in this forum, you are adequate in your English skills. Being a Japanese-English bilinguist (or perhaps more) gives you the advantage over (most) local Japanese. If you work in an international company, there are higher chances they'll choose you over them - given your language ability. It's not guaranteed of course, but the chances are there.

4. Be optimistic! People can give you statistic of how many foreigners can never make it in Japan or how they are at disadvantage compared to the locals...but I say, you never know unless you try. Make full use of the support given by the school. So, choose the school which gives the most support to international student, and has the largest network of connections with companies. :)

Tokyo Mode Gakuen (which I'm aiming to enrol) offers intenship placements and a '100% employment guarantee system 'after graduation. If you're not employed by then, you can continue to study for free until you get a job.

Schools which system like that (or close to that) will be very helpful. Of course, that's just an example of my personal choice as I plan to go into fashion. Hopefully you'll find a great school as well. :)

by Murakami Seirin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread