Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

imi wakaran as a joke? 2014/9/15 09:52
Hello!

So I was texting my friend yesterday and he said "ˆΣ–‘•ͺ‚©‚η‚ρ" at one point. I took it literally to mean "I don't understand what you mean", but he said that it's a joke in Japanese, and doesn't mean that he doesn't understand.

Is there anyone who can explain this to me? I really want to try and understand/use this phrase in the non-literal sense if I can. Thanks!!! ^^
by Tokyogal (guest)  

Re: imi wakaran as a joke? 2014/9/15 12:35
"ˆΣ–‘•ͺ‚©‚η‚ρ" is often used by many comedians (who come from Kansai area) on TV shows as a reaction to joke or gag.
Sometimes they spit it out though, it's a typical gag.
It means "nonsense", "piffle" or something though.
Abuse instead of praise like "f... good"?
by ajapaneseboy rate this post as useful

Re: imi wakaran as a joke? 2014/9/15 13:29
- I don't get it
- Come off it
- You beat me (since I don't get it but you got it)
- You got me
- (Just grumbling that the other person got a good idea while the speaker didn't)
... or something along that line.
by AK rate this post as useful

Re: imi wakaran as a joke? 2014/9/15 21:35
ˆΣ–‘•ͺ‚©‚η‚ρ is an abbreviated and rough expression of ˆΣ–‘‚ͺ‚ν‚©‚η‚Θ‚’. the word is not a joke and a gag. the speaker honestly express his/her impression.
ˆΣ–‘‚ν‚©‚η‚ρ is used when the speaker does not agree with you(or other), or when the speaker does not understand what you(or other) say or what you(or other) do.

by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: imi wakaran as a joke? 2014/9/16 02:07
As suggested, "imi-wakaran" is typically used to mean "I get that you're not supposed to get it."

For example, you say something absurd or nonsense as a joke, but you don't really say, "I'm saying something absurd." You usually say, "I just saw a guy lying in the middle of a sidewalk." and that would be it. Then your friend would say "imi-wakaran!" meaning that your friend understands that the scene of a guy lying on a sidewalk is absurd and nonsense.

I think similar conversations happen all the time. You show something absurdly huge without saying anything. The person who is shown this would say "deka! (big!)"

So it's like the first person says half the joke expecting the other to "take on" from there in which the other party does and finally the whole joke is completed.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Re: imi wakaran as a joke? 2014/9/16 09:21
I get it, but I don't get it.

So the joke is not a joke but it's a joke that serious where a friend would have to complete the joke. I don't get it but I get it but makes so since so I get it but don't get it.

By the way there's nothing wrong with using cuss words or bad words but on this website it frowned upon. But I didn't see anything with you using it becuade you were using it as an example.
by SomeGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: imi wakaran as a joke? 2014/9/16 09:23
Typo: But I didn't see anything wrong with you using it becuade you were using it as an example.
by SomeGuy (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: imi wakaran as a joke? 2014/9/16 10:34
I personally do not like at all when somebody says ˆΣ–‘‚ν‚©‚η‚ρ to me and take an offense, even if it was only a joke. I think it is rude of anyone to say that.(again, in my personal opinion)

Good example is that some people would be offended when said "whatever" while some wouldn't care at all.
by Majime (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: imi wakaran as a joke? 2014/11/7 04:44
I use γ€Œζ„ε‘³εˆ†γ‹γ‚‰γ‚“γ€
usually meaning γ€Œunbelievable」
by maki japan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread