Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo to Hokkaido 2014/9/18 11:31
Hi, I wonder what is the best way to go from Tokyo to Hokkaido besides flying? Would anyone recommend doing train or bus? I want other options because I thought it will be nice to enjoy some scenery along the way. But again I know it will be a long journey and not sure if it's worth it. I will fly in and out of Tokyo definitely (can't change tickets). I have about 8 full days and plan to spend couple of days in Tokyo and most of the time in Hokkaido. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!!
by Aili (guest)  

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2014/9/18 18:35
Well, you can travel from Ueno station to Shin-Aomori via Shinkansen, transfer Ou line to get to Aomori, use the Hamanasu overnight express to get to Sapporo for example. Takes 700+ minutes and around costs 20000+ yen per person.

You can also go with the Hokutosei sleeping car train service from Ueno to Sapporo which takes 16 1/2 hours. About 13000 yen per person I think (cheapest). But getting tickets andreceiving them is the big problem.

I think there is also a ferry (Tokyo-somewhere in Sapporo), which takes 11+ hours?

But with 8 days I wouldn't spend so much time on travelling tbh.
by asahana (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2014/9/18 19:37
Within such short time frame I would get the plane. It's only 10000 yen per way for tourists and you can fly in and out anywhere in Hokkaido from Tokyo, so I'd say the plane is a no brainer here.
Train Tokyo to Hakodate is around 6 hours at least; unless you want to do the proposed option to get the latest possible Shinkansen to Shin-Aomori in order to get the night train to Sapporo (which also stops in Hakodate), but again, plane here is the best option.
by Aerond (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2014/9/26 15:41
Hi Arnold,
2way tickets from Tokyo to Sopparo is 10K yen? I seen some going for 500usd :o
What airlines would you recommend for cheap flights? Are there also multiple flights per day? I reach Tokyo Narita around 8AM, thought i will maybe catch a noon flight so that timing will not be so rush...
by Aili (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2014/9/26 16:35
Hi Aili,

As Aerond explained, it's about 10,000 yen one-way (so a little over 20,000 yen round trip).

ANA offers a special fare for foreign tourists - more details here:

https://www.ana.co.jp/wws/us/e/wws_common/promotion/experience_jp/

Cheers.
by Diego de Manila rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2014/9/26 17:18
Thanks guys :) I will check it out.

And sorry i got your name wrong Aerond!
by Aili (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Tokyo to Hokkaido 2014/9/26 17:35
Jetstar should be the cheapest.

http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/home
by shimizu34 rate this post as useful