Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Any short side trip from Miyajima? 2014/9/18 18:07
I will be staying in Hiroshima to visit the places of interest there.
Besides Miyahima, is there any recommended short trip that can be conducted preferably from Miyajima around 3pm to 7pm?
Thanks.
by Jasmin (guest)  

Re: Any short side trip from Miyajima? 2014/9/18 18:30
I would suggest going to Iwakuni.

It is only 25 minutes (320 yen) from Miyajimaguchi station to Iwakuni station on the JR sanyo main line.

When you get there, take a bus to Kintaikyo Bridge. Buses go every 5-15 minutes and take 20 minutes and cost 250 yen. The Kintaikyo bridge (300yen) is well worth seeing and all of the other sights including Kikko park, Kikkawa museum and such are within walking distance.

Then take the ropeway up to Iwakuni castle (550 yen ticket includes roundtrip) The castle has great views of the city. (Castle entry is 260 yen)

A ticket is available for 940yen which includes admission to the bridge, round trip on the ropeway and admission to the castle.
by Main777 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any short side trip from Miyajima? 2014/9/18 18:42
I read about this place.
I am a bit concern on taking the bus as I speak no Japanese.
Also, I can only go around 3pm from Miyajima in Nov and wonder if it is worth the trip as the Sun sets earlier.
Thank you for your suggestion and I will seriously consider it.
Thank you.
by Jasmin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Any short side trip from Miyajima? 2014/9/18 19:16
The bridge will be illuminated in the evening, which makes it even more beautiful, so I think you should have a go.
by jmisugi rate this post as useful

Re: Any short side trip from Miyajima? 2014/9/18 21:31
Honestly, Iwakuni is probably your best option. Even in places where there are many attractions, it's very difficult to find places where you can go if you START your trip at 3pm, since most places close at 4:30 or 5pm.

The illuminated bridge is very nice, though.

The buses are relatively frequent, especially the return bus to Iwakuni Station, so I wouldn't worry. You can always ask at the station.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Re: Any short side trip from Miyajima? 2014/9/18 22:18
Oh, if the bridge will be lighted up, then it is really worth a trip.
Thank you for all replies.
by Jasmin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread