Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Autumn foliage this year in Kyoto 2014/9/19 13:34
Hello,

My mother wants to visit Kyoto this November and I think it would be really nice if I could time her visit so that she can enjoy the beautiful autumn leaves as well.

This year's colours seem to come earlier according to the two currently available reports. We can only afford to spend either of these dates in Kyoto: 6 Nov - 10 Nov or 2 Dec - 6 Dec. Which date is better according to your opinion? How is autumn coming on in Japan now?

We most likely will not be able to see the colours at their peak but it would be lovely anyway. Any input is appreciated!
by Yuddy (guest)  

Re: Autumn foliage this year in Kyoto 2014/9/20 08:27
6 Nov - 10 Nov or 2 Dec - 6 Dec. Which date is better according to your opinion? How is autumn coming on in Japan now?

I think Japanguide's Autumn Color Reports are the most detailed reports in Japan. I am always surprised by the fact it is written in English, but not in Japanese.

http://www.japan-guide.com/blog/koyo13/

Here you can see the reports on 2013. On the right side of the page you will find reports on other years including this year.

From these reports you will find that color is changing gradually and the color differs among individual trees. Even in the first ten days in November in Kyoto, there are some yellow or red leaves. Other leaves are green, which is not so bad. On the other hand, in early December, many of the leaves are fallen and the overall scenery is not so spectacular. So, considering autumn will come earlier this year, I would choose 6 Nov - 10 Nov.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread