Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Making a local call using a public phone 2014/9/20 17:20
To have a pick up service, I would have to call the hotel when I arrive at the train station.
I will be using a public phone to make the call.
May I ask how much to put into the phone to make a short local call?
Thanks.
by Jasmin (guest)  

Re: Making a local call using a public phone 2014/9/20 17:51
I think 10 yen. use a 10 yen coin.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Using a public phone 2014/9/20 22:16
Please prepare a few 10-yen coins. If you use a 100-yen coin for a public phone, no change can be given. (If you set 10-yen coins and a 100-yen coin at one session, the 10-yen coins are collected first.)

Have you confirmed that there is a public phone in that station?
Nowadays it is not always easy to find a public phone even in major stations.

May I ask how much to put into the phone to make a short local call?

When you make a call at a ten-digit number (#) to a place within 20 kilometers from a public phone, you can talk roughly 40 to 55 seconds at 10 yen; you can talk longer during 11 pm to 8 am.

When you make a call at an eleven-digit number (beginning with 050 (of an IP phone) / beginning with 070, 080 or 090 (of a mobile phone)) from a public phone, you can talk only less than 25 seconds at 10 yen.

#: Ten-digit telephone numbers in Japan may be in the following forms:
(0abcd) e-fghj, (0abc) de-fghj, (0ab) cde-fghj, (0a) bcde-fghj.
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Making a local call using a public phone 2014/9/20 23:00
Thanks for all the replies.
I intend to make a call at Kawaguchiko station to the hotel that I have reserved a room. Otherwise, I would have to walk for about 30min.
Maybe I will tell the hotel the time I will arrive at the train station to save the hassle.
by Jasmin (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Making a local call using a public phone 2014/9/20 23:03
Are the phone numbers 10 or 11 digits? I just checked the hotel's, it is only 9 digit:
555-xx-xxxx.
Perhaps I need to include a zero in front of the 5?

Re: Making a local call using a public phone 2014/9/20 23:27
0555-xx-xxxx is a phone number around Kawaguchiko area. you can insert a few 10 yen coins. the excess coins will be back, after finishing your call.
by ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Making a local call using a public phone 2014/9/20 23:42
Thanks Ken.

Re: Making a local call using a public phone 2014/9/20 23:55
The thing to do is just throw several 10-yen coins in. Like Ken said, if you use too many, you will get the extras back. (On the other hand, if you use a 100-yen coin, you will not get any change.) It might take longer than you think to make the arrangements (especially if the person who answers the phone has to go get somebody at the hotel who speaks English). If you start to hear a beeping noise, then put some more 10-yen coins in. (So be prepared in advance with a reasonable supply of 10-yen coins.)
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread