Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Money Safety, Onsen's and Sento's 2014/9/22 03:30
My question, is how safe is it to do day trips to onsen town's.

I Basically plan to try to include onsens into my day trips, and was wondering how safe my belongings would be. I understand not all changing rooms have lockers, Therefore I want to know what other people's experiences have been in this regard.

For sento's I plan to only take the amount of money I need for the bath, and a little extra, for snacks or drinks after.

But for onsens, I will be travelling with a camera, wallet of money, JR pass, and Pasmo. So want to know if its safe to leave in the changing rooms, or if people know of other methods to keep it safe.

Like asking Onsen staff to hold it for you, or put in their safe or something along those lines.
by Shintai  

Re: Money Safety, Onsen's and Sento's 2014/9/22 11:10
Indeed, some baths don't have lockers. But a majority have them: small ones for wallets, big ones for larger bags or both.

The ones that don't have them tend to be the more rural, less busy ones where theft is less likely to happen, anyway.

Asking the reception to hold valuables could, indeed, be a good strategy.

I generally think that the more easily accessible and popular the baths is, the higher the risk of theft. In not-so-busy baths I often put my bag filled with valuables simply onto the unlocked shelve of the changing room, and so far I experience theft only once: my underpants were stolen at a busy onsen at a michi-no-eki (rest area).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Re: Money Safety, Onsen's and Sento's 2014/9/22 12:17
All of the hikaeri onsen that I've been to had lockers for clothes and valuables. the key is on a rubber band that you wear around your wrist while bathing.
by .. (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Money Safety, Onsen's and Sento's 2014/9/22 12:19
Majority of Onsen and all Sento have installed lockers. If lockers(with key) are there, both Onsen and Sento staffs don't keep your belongs due to safety reasons. You can keep them in the locker, lock it(normally 100 Yen coin is required and return as you leave), take the key with you. It's your responsibility that you won't lock your locker or the lock doesn't work. Use a locker which can be locked. Do not visit an Onsen without lockers.
by tokyo friend 48 rate this post as useful

Re: Money Safety, Onsen's and Sento's 2014/9/22 15:40
As others have said, most onsen actually do have lockers where you can put your things.

I have also been to some that only have lockers for your shoes, but those were big enough to also put your wallet, camera, and phone.
by Ren (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Money Safety, Onsen's and Sento's 2014/9/22 20:21
Thanks. Just worried cause I am heading to some areas out of Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka for some day trips. I plan to drop by some onsen towns, Like kagaonsen, arima onsen and kinosaki.

For the ones in the city was mainly going to bring the change I need for the bath, locker, and some shopping on the way back to my accomodations.

But thanks everyone, knowing this is makes me feel more reassured.
by Shintai rate this post as useful

reply to this thread