Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel around Japan 2014/9/22 09:24
Itinerary - arrive Narita Nov 2014, 3 days in Tokyo, 1 night near Mt Fuji, 5 nights in Kobe, 3 nights in Tokyo then home.

The plan is to use Kobe as a base to see other areas (Osaka, Himeji, Hiroshima etc).

My question is - JR pass or Suica? We're looking at the N'Ex to get from Narita to Tokyo, which I understand is covered by JR pass, but possibly the bullet train from Tokyo to Kobe won't be. Otherwise, all other travel looks like it would be covered by a Suica. Would we end up spending the same on a 14 day JR pass as we would on recharging a Suica card + bullet train to Kobe and back?

Would appreciate any advice you can give
Thanks

by KathyAJ (guest)  

Re: Travel around Japan 2014/9/22 11:12
You seem to have some things mixed up... Bullet trains are covered by the JR Pass (as long as you don't take the Nozomi trains), but can't bepaid using IC cards like the Suica.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Travel around Japan 2014/9/22 11:56
I think, and I may be wrong, that the JR pass won't work on the super fast bullet trains, but will work on some.

Really, I guess I'm wondering if it's worth getting just a JR pass OR a rechargeable card + pay separately for bullet train as needed.
by KathyAJ (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Travel around Japan 2014/9/22 12:09
A 7-day JR Pass pays off even for just a Tokyo-Kobe round trip, so yes, you can get one.
by Firas rate this post as useful

Re: Travel around Japan 2014/9/22 13:07
Indeed you've got some things mixed up.

JR Pass is good for long-distance, inter-city travels on JR Shinkasen, such as for Tokyo - Odawara (closest JR Shinkansen station to Mt. Fuj area), - Osaka - Kobe - Hiroshima - Tokyo. The only exceptions are just a few "types" of JR Shinkansen trains (bullet trains), namely, Nozomi and Mizuho. But there are plenty other JR Shinkansen trains, also fast, to cover the same paths :)

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2361.html

So, JR Pass makes good sense with your itinerary.

The guideline is that if you do Tokyo - Osaka/Kyoto - Tokyo "round trip" on Shinkansen within a 7-day period, buying a 7-day JR Pass makes sense.
If you do Tokyo - Osaka/Kyoto - Hiroshima - Osaka/Kyoto - Tokyo "round trip" on Shinkansen within a 14-day period, buying a 14-day JR Pass makes sense.

With your itinerary, you "could" get the 14-day pass, or if you want to save money, I would get a 7-day JR Pass to cover your Tokyo - Kobe - Hiroshima - Tokyo portion (if they fit within a 7-day period). Narita to Tokyo, and travel within Tokyo can be covered by something else.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread